Value of: Jonathan Toews w/ no salary retention

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
The new gm isn't willing to move someone just to get a bad return. He stated they need to be wowed otherwise there fine with these guys finishing out there careers in Chicago... if anything I could see kane and maf getting a team friendly contract toews I don't see that happening...

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Does the OP really think there will be a "price" for Toews with no salary retention? The question should be what do you have to give away on top of Toews to get rid of him.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
10.5 million dollar 3C.

With no retention Chi’s gonna have to add to get rid of him.

Can’t put a price on those intangibles though. Generational StayQuietAboutSexualAssault/60

Cleveland Browns offer 2 1st-round picks

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrfenn92

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think he could be traded to the Seattle Kraken which is where I see him going with no retention on Chicago's end. Would be a good leader if Giordano is traded, but the other thing too is Toews wants to win. But also, doubt he waives unless it's a contender or Winnipeg, or a team does it if they take on his whole contract.

Say Seattle, I'd imagine a 2nd comes with him and going to Chicago would likely be Mason Appleton or Ryan Donato. Or maybe a 1-for-1 of Toews for Grubauer.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Zero reason for Chicago to move a prospect out, retain and end up with garbage back. They can just ride the contract out. Which they likely will.
Bingo perfectly stated. Chicago isn't in need of cap relief and as much as they would like to move kane or toews to open up spots for the kids and get back a return, they fully understand that they would have to retain salary and take on a bad contract or allow these kids to develop and learn from the veterans..

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Simply looking at contacts, Chicago currently have 24 on the team and 47 in the minors so one would have to think Chicago probably wants high draft picks ... hypothetical kane trade would probably bring back 2 or 3 young prospects Chicago would be close to exceeding the 50 contract mark...

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Since Chicago is starting to rebuild I’m wondering what the price will be for Jonathan Toews with no salary retention.
With no retention is impossible.
I mean, in theory it's possible. But it would require sending him and Debrincat to a team with that much cap space lol. That leaves Arizona

Otherwise nobody touches that cap hit

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
With no retention is impossible.
I mean, in theory it's possible. But it would require sending him and Debrincat to a team with that much cap space lol. That leaves Arizona

Otherwise nobody touches that cap hit
Great point , actually the rangers have almost 29 million in cap,space...

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Great point , actually the rangers have almost 29 million in cap,space...
Not really. Fox new deal starts next year. Takes up 8.7million more than this ELC deal at 9.5. Zibby also gets his raise next year. 3 million more at 8.5. Strome is UFA and due for a raise.

NYR isn't taking a broken down 10.5m 3rd line center with no retention.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
The only home in not getting dumps back is trading him to say Arizona who needs the salary next year. Chicago is not getting any real assets for him.

What team can even take on his salary this yr and next yr and be a cup contendor?
Good luck getting him to waive to go to Arizona.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
After his bonus is paid out...

To Ottawa:
50% of Toews's cap (5.250)
Sweetener from Chicago (Decent prospect?)

To Chicago:
Other 50% of Toews's cap (2.625)
Michael Del Zotto (Burried cap hit is 0.875)
Whatever team C gives up for Toews

To Team C:
Toews at 2.625

Ottawa saves 0.800 in real dollars, while taking on 4.375 in cap space
Chicago saves 7.000 in cap space
Team 3 gets Toews at a reasonable cap hit
Chicago doesn’t need Toews’ cap space. Chicago won’t give an asset to get it. Chicago has NO NEED for Del Zotto.

Why does a rebuilding team give up a decent prospect to move a contract that has no impact on their cap situation?

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Chicago doesn’t need Toews’ cap space. Chicago won’t give an asset to get it. Chicago has NO NEED for Del Zotto.

Why does a rebuilding team give up a decent prospect to move a contract that has no impact on their cap situation?

You missed the part where Team C gives up an asset for Toews @ 25%. So unless you think that asset is worse than what it would take for Melnyk to save some pennies.. then your reply has no logic behind it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad