Speculation: Jonathan Huberdeau is open to waiving his NMC to go to a contender

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Okay, I am calling you out. Post the proof or I call BS.

Nope.
Was Huberdough happy with the trade in the first place? Was the new contract more than needed to keep him? It’s like Treliving offered Huberdough a blank cheque to stay. Not saying he’s unhappy collecting the big money or living in Calgary, but he might not want to be on a rebuilding (bottom of the league) team at this point in his career.
But there just seems no way to trade him without huge retention and taking back equally bad contracts. And if he will only accept a trade to a competitor, which one of those clubs will take him (even with huge retention) and have bad contracts to move out? He’s got 7 years left. He’s over 30. He’s trending downward.
Would the Islanders take the risk? That’s the only club I can think of that might try. But the cost to the Flames would be a lot.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Was Huberdough happy with the trade in the first place? Was the new contract more than needed to keep him? It’s like Treliving offered Huberdough a blank cheque to stay. Not saying he’s unhappy collecting the big money or living in Calgary, but he might not want to be on a rebuilding (bottom of the league) team at this point in his career.
But there just seems no way to trade him without huge retention and taking back equally bad contracts. And if he will only accept a trade to a competitor, which one of those clubs will take him (even with huge retention) and have bad contracts to move out? He’s got 7 years left. He’s over 30. He’s trending downward.
Would the Islanders take the risk? That’s the only club I can think of that might try. But the cost to the Flames would be a lot.
Hube not being happy with how the trade went down and not being happy in Calgary are two vastly different things. And in fact was impressed by Treliving and the Flames and stated as much when he signed his new contract.

“You want to play for a team that wants you and, talking to all the management, they seem really excited and made up my mind: I want to play there.”

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hube not being happy with how the trade went down and not being happy in Calgary are two vastly different things. And in fact was impressed by Treliving and the Flames and stated as much when he signed his new contract.
What’s he going to say, publicly, after signing that huge contract?

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
He's already a liability at 31, scoring 50 some points for his salary.

But his contrat still have 7 years to go 😬

It's freaking scary...

Calgary Flames don't wanna pay what it would cost to get rid of him (his contract)... even at 50% it would cost them...

If trading away one year of contract at +/- 6,5 mil is worth a late 1st, I don't imagine what it would cost for such a anchor contract...

In Flames situation (not exactly a contender), the best solution is to suck it up...

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
What’s he going to say, publicly, after signing that huge contract?
Actions speak louder than words. If he wasnt happy he wouldnt sign an 8 year deal which puts him at a location for 9 years total. Again post proof that he is unhappy and wants out.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Actions speak louder than words. If he wasnt happy he wouldnt sign an 8 year deal which puts him at a location for 9 years total. Again post proof that he is unhappy and wants out.
Huge contract. A lot more than he’d get as a UFA. Risk of injury during the year. Older players, who take that risk, usually end up losing in the end.
Isn’t the premise of this thread that Huberdough is willing to accept a trade to a contender? And the discussion is centered around no contender will want him?

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Huge contract. A lot more than he’d get as a UFA. Risk of injury during the year. Older players, who take that risk, usually end up losing in the end.
Isn’t the premise of this thread that Huberdough is willing to accept a trade to a contender? And the discussion is centered around no contender will want him?
No the premise is people stating its common knowledge that he is unhappy and wants out. And yet refuse to post any proof of this "common knowledge"

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No the premise is people stating its common knowledge that he is unhappy and wants out. And yet refuse to post any proof of this "common knowledge"
If Huberdough is willing to accept a trade to a contender (not happening, of course; no contender will take on such a contract) is that not a sign he’s unhappy with being on a rebuilding team during his declining years?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Only one that made sense was Dubois/Huberdeau flip. Dubois was traded to the Caps so now we got to ask, is there another contract that is underperforming that fits for Huberdeau? Similar term/AAV left?

What contender has the cap space and/or the contract to send the other way? Seems very difficult.

Kahvi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
If Huberdough is willing to accept a trade to a contender (not happening, of course; no contender will take on such a contract) is that not a sign he’s unhappy with being on a rebuilding team during his declining years?

Has Huberdeau said he's willing to accept a trade to a contender?

Reactions: Zirakzigil

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Okay, I am calling you out. Post the proof or I call BS.

Nope.

There is no proof, only speculation. Most of these threads are speculation and conversations BTW.

Most will look at the situation and assume he is not happy. Disgruntled? Probably not. Just would prefer to be on a better team. That's how I would comprehend it anyways.

At the end of the day, he was traded from Florida and he was not happy about that (wanted to stay) and then he took the deal the Flames were offering. Now he has to live with it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Than I guess its not "common knowledge" that he wants out. Which is exactly my point.

Who knows for sure. From the outside looking in (speculation), I'd say he wants out. Not a fact, just an opinion. If you were in his shoes, what would you think? Just take the money and suck it up and be happy? I think most prefer to be on contenders or a chance at the playoffs. You got to respect that and if a player didn't want that, they are on the complacent side.

Reactions: Fatass

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
As an Islanders fan, I might be willing to do a caphit for caphit kind of deal(Lee, Pageau, Palmerri), although even then given length of contract I might want Flames to eat like 1-2M

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
HFBoard logic is great.
"A lot of money is worth being miserable."

Same person on another thread regarding their team:
"Look I can't understand this guy. He has a chance to win here, and what, he takes money?"

Huberdeau signed long-term in Calgary, because they sought him out in a trade, made him feel welcome and a major part of the city/team. It hasn't worked out, clearly, in terms of on-ice production, but I've heard nothing of him not wanting to be here. So much so that the team even signed his buddy (Mantha) and are sliding them between Pospisil to see if they can find a mix that makes Huberdeau produce. He'll never he worth 10.5M, especially with 6 more seasons coming in after this one; but Calgary is also in a position where cap means nothing for the foreseeable future (their rebuilding first rounders won't even be out of their ELC's until the 28-29 season at minimum).

I think the best route for Jonathan is either find your mojo, so that you can play into your mid 30's with the guys that'll be coming through the pipeline (the Flames 1st rounder this year that'll likely be in the top 5 of the draft, as well as the 2026 draft) or find your mojo so that in the 2028/29 season Calgary can eat 50% of your salary and you can try to win as your career winds down. Either way, his play right now makes him absolutely un-tradeable.

Reactions: Zirakzigil

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
What contender wouldn't want a soft under performer over 30 years old for 7 more years?

The term alone makes that deal impossible even at 50% retained.

Reactions: Fatass

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
The only way to move Huberdeau is if the receiving team gets him at around $3MM AAV?

Are you serious? Or is your hyperbole control way out of whack?

Depends if they want to get any value out of him or simply dump the contract at negative value.

Keep in mind, teams were asking the Canucks for a sweetener to take Garland who only had five points less than Huberdeau at 5M and with a much shorter contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad