Speculation: Jonathan Huberdeau is open to waiving his NMC to go to a contender

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
God's country just outside of Calgary
What about something around Hubs to MTL with Anderson and Gallagher going the other way?

MTL gets the better player, Calgary gains slight cap this year + the next 2 (to stay above the floor) but both end after the 26-27 season.

Not sure who would have to add, or even the appetite for such a deal. But if Calgary trades Hubs now this is more the style of move I see (taking on overpaid guys rather than 7yrs of retention)
Are you under the impression that Calgary needs more cap space?

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Is this start a result of this request and his attempt to show value to the rest of the league?

His start is a result of having linemates now that he can play with because Huberdeau is a strange player. Lindholm was a terrible fit, Kadri doesn't work as well as he should on paper but Pospisil and Mantha seem to be able to somewhat replicate what he had with Bennett and Duclair. I don't expect he'll ever have another 100 pt season but 70 doesn't seem like such a stretch anymore.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
7x7??

Look at the wingers this past free agency.

Toffoli got 6x4
Stamkos 8x4
Debrusk 5.5x7
Marchessault 5.5x5
Bertuzzi 5.5x4
Teuvo 5.4x3

I also said 6 million over 7. GMs aren't going to forget all the point per game seasons he use to have.

Stephenson is a LW/C. Got 6.25 for 7 years.
Bertuzzi does bring a lot but he had 41? Points.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
I also said 6 million over 7. GMs aren't going to forget all the point per game seasons he use to have.

As much as I've always liked Huberdeau, they'd probably be smart to. There's going to be signs of life here and there but it's far from a safe bet. A lot of stars from his generation are trending similarly..Hall, Seguin, Tavares, Duchene, Zibanejad?, Couturier, Nail Yakupov, etc.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Stephenson is a C making C money.

Bertuzzi has been better than Huberdeau the last 2 years

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
5.25 for 7 years.

55 and 52 points.

I can see him hit 70 a year for a few years.

If he was a UFA today what would he command as a free asset.

7x7 in a bidding war?
6 million 7 years?

Usually you retain to make a profit but if the ultimate goal was to get the player off the team.

Retain 3.5 million or 33.33% and get a B+ or like a 2nd and 3rd?

Is that too little if he was traded today? Would Calgary rather keep him for 10.5 over 7 years or pay 3.5 million for 7 years and get a little something.

If they’re rebuilding his high cap can help ice more rookies and get them closer to the cap floor which will increase as the cap does. I’d have a hard time seeing Calgary retaining 3 per for 6-7 years (18-21 mill) for a B or 2nd+3rd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad