News Article: Johnny Gaudreau passed away

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
None of us know what he's thinking, but this is a pretty stupid thing to assume. Unless he's a total monster, he cares that he ended the life of two young men, and destroyed a few families. He made a horrible mistake, did something stupid, wreckless, etc.

But assuming that he doesn't care about his consequences other than that it inconvenienced his Labour Day weekend is ridiculous.
I'd probably be suicidal if I was in his shoes

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Proving, yet again, drinking alcohol does not make people smarter.
If I’m being upfront & totally honest, I’m so grateful I made it out of my late teens / early 20s without harming anyone else, or myself… looking back, I shouldn’t have been behind the wheel on many an occasion.

This was pre-Uber of course… regardless, point still holds…but a 43 year old in the age of socially acceptable Uber should know better

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
It's exactly that. The title about letting out a sigh is really sensationalist (hey, it's the NY Post after all). The guy clearly didn't intend to do that, and he absolutely deserves whatever punishment is coming to him, but watching him here is pretty rough. There's really no reason why this video should be posted publicly.

The NY Post sucks because of how and why they used it for but... Court documents/video/ruling/orders/records are public domain and most of it is freely accessible to everyone without filling out paperwork because a court room is considered to be a public forum.

Reactions: Colezuki

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This sad story has followed me around all day. I spent the day on work calls/meetings. Even people that didn't know hockey were talking about this. If anything positive can come from this. I hope it gives a reminder to not drink and drive. Hours later, I'm still shook up.

Yeah, there's just the dark cloud feeling going on all day. I can totally relate.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
If I’m being upfront & totally honest, I’m so grateful I made it out of my late teens / early 20s without harming anyone else, or myself… looking back, I shouldn’t have been behind the wheel on many an occasion.

This was pre-Uber of course… regardless, point still holds…but a 43 year old in the age of socially acceptable Uber should know better
I admire your honesty. The attitude towards drunk driving has changed significantly over time. I even heard that back in the day, you would hear on the radio warnings about where the road blocks are taking place. I found that odd because it sounds like they wanted to help the impaired drivers escape.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Not blaming the brothers but riding bikes at night is inherently risky, even with bike lanes.
It is, there are a lot of bike riders where I live. Mostly driving those e-bikes. They will drive at night, some wearing dark clothing. The only thing you can see is their little red tail light. One night I was coming home this summer on a local two lane highway (speed limit 80km/50mph). Normally at that time, I worry more about a deer crossing. Since there are no street lights, it's pitch dark. On this night, as I came down a hill. I noticed a rider who was smartly wearing bright colours. As I went to pass, I safely moved over, into the on coming traffic lane. So that I could give the rider plenty of room. At that moment, the rider must have hit a rock, or simply just lost control. They swerved and narrowly missed hitting the side of my vehicle. I don't want to think how close they came to colliding into me. Or worse, if there had been a vehicle behind me.

Reactions: the

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
The NY Post sucks because of how and why they used it for but... Court documents/video/ruling/orders/records are public domain and most of it is freely accessible to everyone without filling out paperwork because a court room is considered to be a public forum.
As it should be that’s how you end up with secret courts

Reactions: Devonator

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
This is too sad for me I had to get off earlier thinking about the kids and Matthew's pregnant wife.
I can't stop thinking about the wedding that will never be the joyous event it was supposed to be whenever it does happen.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
It is, there are a lot of bike riders where I live. Mostly driving those e-bikes. They will drive at night, some wearing dark clothing. The only thing you can see is their little red tail light. One night I was coming home this summer on a local two lane highway (speed limit 80km/50mph). Normally at that time, I worry more about a deer crossing. Since there are no street lights, it's pitch dark. On this night, as I came down a hill. I noticed a rider who was smartly wearing bright colours. As I went to pass, I safely moved over, into the on coming traffic lane. So that I could give the rider plenty of room. At that moment, the rider must have hit a rock, or simply just lost control. They swerved and narrowly missed hitting the side of my vehicle. I don't want to think how close they came to colliding into me. Or worse, if there had been a vehicle behind me.
And then add a drunk driver . . .

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
This is too sad for me I had to get off earlier thinking about the kids and Matthew's pregnant wife.
I can't stop thinking about the wedding that will never be the joyous event it was supposed to be whenever it does happen.
I just heard that news this afternoon. I haven't checked into it yet. But I've heard there is a go fund me page set up for Matthew's wife. For funeral costs, and other expenses.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I just heard that news this afternoon. I haven't checked into it yet. But I've heard there is a go fund me page set up for Matthew's wife. For funeral costs, and other expenses.
I saw that understanding there is no way she is set up financially like Johnny's immediate family even Insurance wise.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I saw that understanding there is no way she is set up financially like Johnny's immediate family even Insurance wise.
From what I read. Matthew played lower level pro hockey. So I agree, I don't think their financial standings were the same.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I hope they throw the book at him. Multiple families destroyed because of his selfish criminal decisions. Drunk drivers get away with way too much. I don't see this as any different that straight up murder. He made the choice to get behind the wheel.
He seemed more bothered by the fact that he has to stay in jail until next Thursday than the fact he had murdered two people. It's sickening.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
Truly devastating I hope the social media allows them to find peace and continue to rest for Matthew and Johnny, condolences to family and those affected.

Hug your love ones ❤️

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
all of this is unfathomably tragic. We're all mirrors of each other and to see this happen to anyone, let alone our sports heroes, is a jarring reminder of how tenuous it all really is....and now this...the driver is an army major with two young daughters.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Truly devastating I hope the social media allows them to find peace and continue to rest for Matthew and Johnny, condolences to family and those affected.

Hug your love ones ❤️
That's certainly something this tragedy reinforces. Life is short and unpredictable for grudges or being too busy, make time for your love ones and check in on them.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
all of this is unfathomably tragic. We're all mirrors of each other and to see this happen to anyone, let alone our sports heroes, is a jarring reminder of how tenuous it all really is....and now this...the driver is an army major with two young daughters.
No offense but why bring this up? Doesn't change his actions. The man is a selfish POS.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
No offense but why bring this up? Doesn't change his actions. The man is a selfish POS.
why bring this up? Because by somehow humanizing this piece of shit we see a guy who served his country, made a reckless decision and also happened to destroy the lives of his two young daughters too.
His actions can't undo the harm that has been done or heal the pain of loss but as one can read from this thread, it raises questions about our own feelings about justice and death and how f***ing fragile it all is

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad