News Article: Johnny Gaudreau passed away

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
I’m still at a loss for words. I feel so sad today; could not concentrate for work.

I so hope that their relatives find some peace someday.

This is so devastating.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
why bring this up? Because by somehow humanizing this piece of shit we see a guy who served his country, made a reckless decision and also happened to destroy the lives of his two young daughters too.
His actions can't undo the harm that has been done or heal the pain of loss but as one can read from this thread, it raises questions about our own feelings about justice and death and how f***ing fragile it all is
His veteran status is 100% irrelevant. Humanizing him should have nothing to do with it. This is exactly the attitude that lets cops, politicians, and veterans think they are privy to another tier of justice. His time served isn't relevant at all.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
This is exactly the reason I stopped biking touring, and got more into bike path riding and bike packing. Modern drivers are way too distracted and way too privileged, and impaired driving is way too common. I have been in situations with cars that have come way too close to death, and this is often in the full light of day. The Gudreau brothers riding on a country highway after sunset is something that I would avoid doing at all costs because that is even more dangerous.

It is super sad that cyclists are so at the whimsey of people behind the wheel.

I hope that this Higgins guy and all other irresponsible drivers have their judgment day, but in the end, what can you do. This tragedy that has befallen this family on what was meant to be a joyous occasion can never be erased.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Incredibly sad news. The writing was on the wall during all the speculation, but seeing the confirmation still hit hard. Condolences to all the family, friends, and fans. Both their lives were far too short. Johnny had an incredible impact on hockey in his life.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
This is exactly the reason I stopped biking touring, and got more into bike path riding and bike packing. Modern drivers are way too distracted and way too privileged, and impaired driving is way too common. I have been in situations with cars that have come way too close to death, and this is often in the full light of day. The Gudreau brothers riding on a country highway after sunset is something that I would avoid doing at all costs because that is even more dangerous.

It is super sad that cyclists are so at the whimsey of people behind the wheel.

I hope that this Higgins guy and all other irresponsible drivers have their judgment day, but in the end, what can you do. This tragedy that has befallen this family on what was meant to be a joyous occasion can never be erased.
Honestly, you were allowed to get away with a lot more in the past as far as the laws went. I think peak stupidity was when everyone had a flip phone and it was a skill to be able to text and drive. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if we started seeing breathalyzers being mandatory in everyone’s vehicles in the future.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
None of us know what he's thinking, but this is a pretty stupid thing to assume. Unless he's a total monster, he cares that he ended the life of two young men, and destroyed a few families. He made a horrible mistake, did something stupid, wreckless, etc.

But assuming that he doesn't care about his consequences other than that it inconvenienced his Labour Day weekend is ridiculous.

I don't think it's ridiculous at all. He made several decisions that, in my opinion, are sufficient to believe that this guy is just the worst. The drinking and driving is one thing, but I had to reread the description of what happened several times to understand it because the driving was so completely insane. I don't know that I have seen anything like it in person, and I've seen some shit. But even then he has a *record* of doing this shit. I think there's precisely zero evidence of contrition or reflection and quite a bit to the contrary.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Considering the devastating effects drunk driving can have on people and how well known the consequences are, there should be stricter punishments for it. There is simply no excuse to drive drunk these days.
Absolutly , and we are in the era of Uber and similar . So the options are easily available not risk anyone’s life

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I don't think it's ridiculous at all. He made several decisions that, in my opinion, are sufficient to believe that this guy is just the worst. The drinking and driving is one thing, but I had to reread the description of what happened several times to understand it because the driving was so completely insane. I don't know that I have seen anything like it in person, and I've seen some shit. But even then he has a *record* of doing this shit. I think there's precisely zero evidence of contrition or reflection and quite a bit to the contrary.
FWIW - drunk driver stuck around at the scene of the horrific crash waiting for police to arrive vs bolting & was upfront about downing 6 beers prior to getting in the car & continuing to drink while driving.

None of the above negates the sheer recklessness & stupidity of the actions …

Reactions: Miller Time

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The driver... man. What a horrible mistake. That's going to be really hard to live with.
It's not a mistake when you drink alcohol and decide to drive, that's a choice.
In 1982 I was 21 and drove while very intoxicated. I lost control of my 1973 Camaro and slammed into a telephone pole. The reason I am alive is because I slid into it sideways instead of head on. The courts hammered me (I deserved it). After a few months of soul searching I decided that I didn't want to kill an innocent family due to my stupidity. I haven't had a drop since 1982. Sober 42 years and the biggest reason for this was I knew if I hurt an innocent family I would never be able to live with that. I thank God that I learned a lesson that resonated.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I'm not defending his actions, but to assume that the only thing he cares about is that he won't be home for a long weekend is dumb. We saw a short video of him processing the consequences of his actions. A video that never should've been made public anyway, IMO. He deserves whatever prison time he'll be getting, and possibly more.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's not a mistake when you drink alcohol and decide to drive, that's a choice.
Many of the choices you make are mistakes.

Trust me. :laugh:
In 1982 I was 21 and drove while very intoxicated. I lost control of my 1973 Camaro and slammed into a telephone pole. The reason I am alive is because I slid into it sideways instead of head on. The courts hammered me (I deserved it). After a few months of soul searching I decided that I didn't want to kill an innocent family due to my stupidity. I haven't had a drop since 1982. Sober 42 years and the biggest reason for this was I knew if I hurt an innocent family I would never be able to live with that. I thank God that I learned a lesson that resonated.
Learning from your mistakes is a sign of maturity and growth. Good for you!

And honestly, the 70s and even early 80s... drunk driving was deemed socially acceptable. My dad's told me about times when he'd be blasted coming back from the bar. The cops would pull him over, tell him to drive slowly and send him on his way. This was normal stuff. A completely different world than it is today. There was an awareness that came from too many accidents/deaths. People smartened up about this in the 80s. By the time the 90s came around and I started driving, I wouldn't even think of drinking and driving.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
His veteran status is 100% irrelevant. Humanizing him should have nothing to do with it. This is exactly the attitude that lets cops, politicians, and veterans think they are privy to another tier of justice. His time served isn't relevant at all.
I didn't write nor do I believe he's privy to any different tier of justice, regardless of society's corruption.
You missed the nuance of my point which happens on an anonymous chat board.
Anyway, I'm done with our discussion.
Maybe pay attention to what others have written in here about regret and mistakes.
And no, it's not an apologist's perspective.

Last edited:

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
No need to chose a side. A very sad tragedy that will affect a long line of people. Time to celebrate their beautiful lives.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I didn't write nor do I believe he's privy to any different tier of justice, regardless of society's corruption.
You missed the nuance of my point which happens on an anonymous chat board.
Anyway, I'm done with our discussion.
Maybe pay attention to what others have written in here about regret and mistakes.
And no, it's not an apologist's perspective.
Again, I understand that you're trying to remind people that the perpetrator is still a human being. I appreciate that. But it's absolutely bizarre to mention his veteran status. Glad you're not being an apologist

Reactions: 1909

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Personally I'd use the term murdered instead of killed. If you drink and get behind the wheel and this happens, you're a f***ing murderer.

We have way too many years of education and knowledge, going through many sessions in school and otherwise to know the dangers of impaired driving.

f*** this guy and I hope he has the worst prison experience one could possibly have. As I do for any other drunk driver. The laws against drunk driving are way too lenient and need to be far more discouraging than they are today.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Personally I'd use the term murdered instead of killed. If you drink and get behind the wheel and this happens, you're a f***ing murderer.

We have way too many years of education and knowledge, going through many sessions in school and otherwise to know the dangers of impaired driving.

f*** this guy and I hope he has the worst prison experience one could possibly have. As I do for any other drunk driver. The laws against drunk driving are way too lenient and need to be far more discouraging than they are today.
I could not agree with you more. How he isn't facing life in prison shows how out of touch the laws are. If you get into an accident and someone is killed and you are sober....that's a different animal. If you make a decision to drink excessively and get behind the wheel...that is something that needs to be dealt with similarly to any 2nd degree murder charge.
Sickened that shit like this is still happening at this level in 2024.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I could not agree with you more. How he isn't facing life in prison shows how out of touch the laws are. If you get into an accident and someone is killed and you are sober....that's a different animal. If you make a decision to drink excessively and get behind the wheel...that is something that needs to be dealt with similarly to any 2nd degree murder charge.
I thought he’s being charged with 2nd degree vehicular homicide?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I thought he’s being charged with 2nd degree vehicular homicide?
I believe there is a difference between 2nd degree murder and 2nd degree vehicular homicide...I think the max he can get is 10 years for each count whereas he could get life for 2nd degree murder. Each state laws are different. I am standing by to be corrected.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Any accident where you are at fault (speeding, drunk, not obeying traffic laws) should be first degree murder.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad