Confirmed with Link: Johnny Gaudreau has died at the age of 31

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KCbus

Someday, we’ll have an NHL team.
Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Hang on. This is unimaginable, but the rest of the boys dont deserve this type of talk. They're gonna play their asses off for Johnny this year. No question.
This isn’t about “the boys.”

The outdoor game was supposed to (and still will) be a celebration. Of the sport, of this team, of this fan base and of our city.

I don’t f****ng feel like celebrating.

Reactions: CarolinaBlueJacket

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I keep waking up and saying what a nightmare and realize it did happen. Then my thoughts go the family.

How can you feel such sadness and emptiness at the same time.

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
This sucks, I still wish this wasn't true. This is just devastating, every angle you look at and every story or tidbit you hear just makes it so much more tragic. As a fan of the Flames before Vegas, he was such an exciting player to watch and family was absolutely everything to him. I hate to think what his family is going through... I just can't comprehend... his friends and team mates and the blue jackets fans.... you've suffered enough.

My love and virtual hugs to anyone he needs or wants it.

siggy63

Aug 31, 2024
Still can't believe this is true. This is my first post. Was trying to think of ways to honor them. Retire his number 13. Play the first shift of the first 13 games without a LW. I say when we reach 13 pages on this thread we lock it up and pin it to the top for 13 years.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I feel the same way that so many feel on this board. Right now, I am having a hard time thinking about walking into the Nat for the first time this upcoming season. It just feels like it won't be the same.

However, at the same time, I believe that it is incumbent on all of us to support this team with all of the passion that we can muster. God knows that our beloved CBJ are hurting more than we can imagine. I also think that Johnny would want nothing less from us. He will be cheering his ass off for his CBJ brothers from heaven.

We lost a great one on Thursday night.
Heaven gained a great one.
Today, heaven is a better place with Johnny there.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
My deepest sympathies to Blue Jackets fans everywhere. This is horrible, and just an absolute nightmare. No one deserves this. I am so very sorry for your loss, and I’m devastated for the Goudreau family.

May the Lord bless and keep Johnny and Matt Goudreau.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
A day after hearing the news, and I still don't feel like I have the proper words.

When the Brittanie Cecil tradgedy happened, things changed around the league, and around just about all rinks everywhere to make sure something like that never happened again

When the tradgedy happened to Matiss, nothing in society changed to prevent that happening to someone else

Now we're here with Johnny. As sad and heartbroken as I am, it will be a bigger tradgedy if after this high profile incident we can't look at our infrastructure, our laws, and our society to try and reduce this type of thing from happening again to someone else.

...As I type this message, HFBoards is showing me an advertisement for one of the biggest f'ing SUV's I've ever seen. Classy.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Yeah, that got me. I woke up this morning again not being able to believe this. It just feels too impossible. Feel so bad for his wife and kids.
That’s where I am this morning. I’m sad and unbelieving and angry. Like shit they both had the best years of their lives still to come. And some asshole with road rage and alcohol and a car just took that all away. I’m so mad about that.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
I feel the same way that so many feel on this board. Right now, I am having a hard time thinking about walking into the Nat for the first time this upcoming season. It just feels like it won't be the same.

However, at the same time, I believe that it is incumbent on all of us to support this team with all of the passion that we can muster. God knows that our beloved CBJ are hurting more than we can imagine. I also think that Johnny would want nothing less from us. He will be cheering his ass off for his CBJ brothers from heaven.

We lost a great one on Thursday night.
Heaven gained a great one.
Today, heaven is a better place with Johnny there.
Experienced this even walking up to put a bouquet down at the memorial, especially with Johnny’s big window persona above. Felt odd going toward a place that otherwise felt like a second home.

I have opening night tickets and I’m really wondering what they might do to honor him. Will be a difficult balance for the CBJ to show appropriate mourning and respect as well as getting people hyped for the season. Don’t envy the folks responsible for that. Really hope they have some sort of season patch or something so it’s not “one and done”. Gotta carry it through the season

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Like many of you, I woke up this morning still feeling like this is just a bad dream that we can't wake up from. It just seems impossible that it happened.

I made sure to get tickets to the opener so that I can be there for whatever tribute we have, and I already purchased my tickets for the winter classic, but all excitement and passion I might've had for this season is gone. I know there's still 22 other guys on the roster but let's be honest with Laine gone this team was counting on him to lead the way.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Really hope they have some sort of season patch or something so it’s not “one and done”. Gotta carry it through the season
I would have to believe there will be some kind of memorial patch with his number 13 on it for the whole season. They might even retire his number.

I’m not a blue jackets fan, so I don’t know the culture of the team, but those are things I’m sure will be discussed in the front office.

Again, I’m very sorry for your loss.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
A day after hearing the news, and I still don't feel like I have the proper words.

When the Brittanie Cecil tradgedy happened, things changed around the league, and around just about all rinks everywhere to make sure something like that never happened again

When the tradgedy happened to Matiss, nothing in society changed to prevent that happening to someone else

Now we're here with Johnny. As sad and heartbroken as I am, it will be a bigger tradgedy if after this high profile incident we can't look at our infrastructure, our laws, and our society to try and reduce this type of thing from happening again to someone else.

...As I type this message, HFBoards is showing me an advertisement for one of the biggest f'ing SUV's I've ever seen. Classy.
In fact, the governor signed a bill making fireworks legal in OH but that's a different topic.

I would have to believe there will be some kind of memorial patch with his number 13 on it for the whole season. They might even retire his number.

I’m not a blue jackets fan, so I don’t know the culture of the team, but those are things I’m sure will be discussed in the front office.

Again, I’m very sorry for your loss.
Even if not officially retired, I bet nobody in Columbus or Calgary will ever wear 13 again.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
No words to really describe the grief with this situation. Washington fans know well what you’re going through having lived through Sean Taylor’s murder and there’s really nothing to say that will make any of it better. I was a junior in college when that happened and it felt like we lost a family member. It’s a black cloud that will hang with the franchise and the fans for years and years to come. I hope the Gaudreau families can eventually find some level of peace and I have nothing but sympathetic thoughts towards anyone who has a relationship with the CBJ franchise.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
I keep trying to write a thoughtful post but I can't find the words. My heart is broken for the families of both victims, especially the children. Johnny was an amazing player with still a lot left to give both on and off the ice and it's just so unfair that his life was taken the way that it was.

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
This is just wrong. I still feel stunned, the initial jarring feeling of first reading the news has not worn off.

My heart hurts for his wife, kids, his parents who lost two sons in one moment. How devastating. I've prayed for them - and currently am shedding tears just from thinking of what they are going through.

The legacy he leaves is inspiring. The way everyone who knew him speaks of him leaves me in awe. He was an excellent role model in regard to how he prioritized and cherished his family. He truly understood how blessed he was in that aspect, and absolutely embodied a family-first approach to life. I hope to be remembered in that way, he was a great example.

His teammates loved him, so many fun pictures have been posted by current and former teammates. I am glad he got to experience playing with players that he inspired. It was great for Johnson, but Gaudreau seeing a man who grew up looking up to him excel after following his example on ice is a nice reward for all he gave to the game.

I am grateful to have witnessed his artistry. He was a brilliant player, loved watching him. What he was capable of at his size amazed me. I particularly liked watching that one video of him playing as a kid and seeing the exact same player we see today. He mastered his own playstyle in a beautiful way.

Rest in peace Johnny Gaudreau.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad