Confirmed with Link: Johnny Gaudreau has died at the age of 31

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Johnny Tomala

Jan 24, 2017
He was one of my favorite players. I got this news while I was driving to work. I am devastated. Condolences to his family.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
There’s really no words that can express how awful this is. My heart goes out to his wife, children, and his family. The entire city, state, and the hockey world are with you.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
There is a special place in hell for that drunken asswipe in the SUV who couldn't wait a minute to get where he was going. Then again, his life is ruined, so he'll already be in hell. (Just trying to process all of this- anger stage)

Krigsgaldr

Jul 25, 2011
Lexington Kentucky
I went to bed late last night thinking this was a false report since the original tweet got deleted . I truly wish that was the case . Rip to the Brothers and best wishes to the family and friends . This was simply murder and needs to be handled as such . No tolerance to a drunk driver .
Sorry Jackets fans truly sorry form a shocked Red Wings fan .

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
There's a fundraiser for Matthew Gaudreau's family - they were expecting their first child.

This is why I'm confident it's legit and subsequently contributed myself:

1725051750106.png

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
C9A9DB34-A12F-428A-A605-5ECB914D920E.jpeg

I simply cannot wrap my mind around this.
I first started reading the rumors around midnight and thought… “what? no. no way” … I continued reading throughout the night.

I went to sleep.
I woke up 3 hours into my sleep to check my phone.
I got the confirmation.
I couldn’t go back to sleep.

I will never ever forget exactly where I was when I first found out Johnny was signing with us. out of every team, he chose Columbus… and was proud of it. genuinely proud.

Johnny… so so so much more life left to live and so so so much more to give to the wonderful sport of hockey. a life taken in an instance be a drunk driver.

the hockey world has been forever changed on this day.
devastation across it and our beautiful city of Columbus.

God be with the Gaudreau’s, forever. Amen.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
I swore off the Jackets a while back, but I always had a special place in my heart for Johnny because he CHOSE Columbus when everyone said that Columbus couldn't keep any good players. I didn't know him but he seemed like a nice, humble guy. What an absolute tragedy for his family. I have no words as to how bad this is for them.
The MFer than ran over them can burn in hell.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
So sad, this is a horrible day. R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew.
I remember Matthew when he played here in Sweden, it was the corona season 20-21 and he played in Tyringe in HockeyEttan.
Feeling terrible.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I spent the whole night checking over and over again to see if it was a hoax.

I'm still shocked. I am also thinking ahead to ways to do something about the senseless loss of life that keeps happening on our roads. We can't bring Johnny back but we can do something for the future. If folks aren't at the point where they're ready to have this sort of conversation then feel free to ignore this.

--------------​

The US has far higher road death rates than other developed countries. The other countries have dropping death rates while ours is rising. Amazingly Russia now has a lower road death rate than the United States. And US pedestrian and cyclist deaths are going up sharply.

There are a lot of reasons for that. But one of them is that we have never taken drunk driving seriously enough. Otherwise good people are having 4-5 beers and still getting behind the wheel. I've seen friends do that. You can't legally open a bar now unless you build a large parking lot for it, it's required in the zoning almost everywhere. And most people parked in the lot are driving drunk. Bars should not even have customer parking!

Our vehicles are obviously also ballooning in size. Heavier = deadlier. Same with the rising hood heights where drivers can't even see children in front of their vehicle. Per consumer reports: "A recent IIHS study of nearly 18,000 pedestrian crashes found that vehicles with a hood height greater than 40 inches are about 45 percent more likely to cause fatalities in pedestrian crashes." I understand why people do this on an individual level, if you're the one person who doesn't have a giant vehicle, you're roadkill. But collectively it's insane. We need to just ban or tax out these vehicles like a reasonable country would.

I know this is getting esoteric, but another factor is road design. We build roads as wide as possible, straight and unencumbered. But this paradoxically leads to more death, drivers on wide roads naturally feel that the appropriate speed is much higher and drive accordingly. And death rates go up exponentially with higher speed. It doesn't matter what the road feels like, if it is faster it is deadlier. There's so much more we could talk about like having better cycling and pedestrian infrastructure, but I'll stop here for now. We're still grieving and some folks are just finding out now, so I understand if this conversation will come later.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Everyone should wear #13 for Johnny Gaudreau on their helmet and the number Matthew wore recently on their helmets this season. More has to be done about drunk drivers. Give them life if they murder someone while behind the wheel regardless if it was an accident or not.

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
I've been struggling with this all day, and probably still don't have the right words.

First, to Meredith and the rest of the Gaudreau family, I am so sorry. I can't imagine the pain you are feeling. Johnny was a wonderful person and we will miss him terribly. My condolences for your terrible loss.

To the Blue Jackets players and staff, I am also sorry for your loss. I pray that you may find the strength to carry on and continue to play the game that Johnny loved.

My own community has been rocked by tragedy, as within the last week we lost two high school students (from neighbooring schools) who both departed too soon. I am not able to make this make sense (for myself or for my kids). It is simply tragic.

I pray that all will reflect on the value of human life, and will take time to let loved ones know how important they are and how much they are loved. None of us is guaranteed tomorrow. Please be kind to each other.

Reactions: GoJackets1 and LJ7

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
So sorry Jacket fans, such a sad day. I'm a Dallas fan, but I live in Calgary and know how great of a person Johnny is. Lots of fans have left jerseys at the Saddledome here in Calgary, so many devastated fans.

Anyways, just wanted to give my condolences

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad