News Article: Johnny Gaudreau and brother Matthew Killed by Drunk Driver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I hope nobody takes this as me blaming the victim, because in this situation the drunk driver is 100% responsible, but am I the only person that has a HUGE problem with cyclists utilizing roads designed for, and filled with motorists? The cyclist moves far too slowly, and lacks sufficient protection.

They should be allowed to, and forced to use the sidewalk and have bells or something similar to warn pedestrians of the impending approach. I'm sure there are some examples, but it seems to me a cyclist hitting a pedestrian, is significantly less likely to result in a major injury, than a cyclist getting hit by (or hitting) a car.
I agree 100%, although I don’t know that was an option here. With that being said I ain’t riding a bike on a secondary highway like that in the first place. Way too dangerous for my liking

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree 100%, although I don’t know that was an option here. With that being said I ain’t riding a bike on a secondary highway like that in the first place. Way too dangerous for my liking

As I said before these roads were probably roads the brothers had ridden their bikes alongside a million times as kids growing up there. I don't think their thought process was "hey lets do something wildly risky". To them they were just riding the same trails probably that they were extremely familiar with.

It's just so tragic it ended like this. Alcohol destroys so many families (both alcohol abuse and things like drunk driving).

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
It's just so tragic it ended like this. Alcohol destroys so many families (both alcohol abuse and things like drunk driving).
For various reasons (some of which I am not comfortable discussing on this board) I've chosen to never touch alcohol. I don't judge those who drink responsibly but I've seen good people who consume the stuff turn into monsters. My brother in law and his fiancé's relationship was recently utterly destroyed. Alcohol consumption was a major factor. They both drink like fish. Oh, and they recently had a baby boy too BTW.

I haven't had a celebrity death hit me like this since Robin Williams. It will take a while to completely come to terms with what happened all because a man made a terrible mistake. A mistake that involved alcohol and contrary to what some people say, this accident likely doesn't happen without it. To my friends that do drink, I beg you to do it responsibly. Failure to do so may hurt or even kill somebody.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
For various reasons (some of which I am not comfortable discussing on this board) I've chosen to never touch alcohol. I don't judge those who drink responsibly but I've seen good people who consume the stuff turn into monsters. My brother in law and his fiancé's relationship was recently utterly destroyed. Alcohol consumption was a major factor. They both drink like fish. Oh, and they recently had a baby boy too BTW.

I haven't had a celebrity death hit me like this since Robin Williams. It will take a while to completely come to terms with what happened all because a man made a terrible mistake. A mistake that involved alcohol and contrary to what some people say, this accident likely doesn't happen without it. To my friends that do drink, I beg you to do it responsibly. Failure to do so may hurt or even kill somebody.
Alcohol is a touchy subject. Everybody is wired differently. I know guys who drank a lot in Uni and got perfect grades. I also know guys who could not go the next day with a hangover. They had to drink again.

Alcohol and addiction has no bounds. The best and smartest people in the world can control it and not control it. I don't judge.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Is it time to start installing breathalyzers in every vehicle? Is this what it is going take for people to stop this BS once and for all? So sad to see two lives ruined because some asshat thought he was above the rules of not driving if you have been drinking.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Is it time to start installing breathalyzers in every vehicle? Is this what it is going take for people to stop this BS once and for all? So sad to see two lives ruined because some asshat thought he was above the rules of not driving if you have been drinking.
There was a car manufacturer probably 5-10 years ago that was trying something that would just sense the liquor and not allow the vehicle to work, but I have no idea how the hell that would work if you were the DD with a bunch of drunk passengers.

The simple solution is to start mandating breathalyzers in vehicles from the manufacturing plants and slowly grandfather it in.

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
As I said before these roads were probably roads the brothers had ridden their bikes alongside a million times as kids growing up there. I don't think their thought process was "hey lets do something wildly risky". To them they were just riding the same trails probably that they were extremely familiar with.

It is still dangerous. Could of just as easily of been a reckless impatient driver instead of a drunk driver

Reactions: oilers'72

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
Pretty classy move by the Flames Fans to hold the tribute/vigil for Johnny Hockey Last night.
What do you mean classy? It was the normal and proper and expected thing to do. Any organization would of done that. He was a big part of that community for years

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023

No celebrity death should impact you that much. Your family and friends are the one who care for you, , not a celebrity or idol who doesn't know you exist. As for alcohol, yea it destroys many lives in many ways. Your experience with alcohol is bad . As for kevy he likes to unwind on a Saturday night with friends and have been doing that for many decades. That is the only time I drink and always take a cab . I have never been in better shape and never felt better. It's about balance and responsibility.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
There was a car manufacturer probably 5-10 years ago that was trying something that would just sense the liquor and not allow the vehicle to work, but I have no idea how the hell that would work if you were the DD with a bunch of drunk passengers.

The simple solution is to start mandating breathalyzers in vehicles from the manufacturing plants and slowly grandfather it in.
I wish it was simple as it sounds. Alberta for example has a zero tolerance for GDL drivers where if they blow a number any higher than 0.00, they get their license suspended for 30 days and vehicle seized for 7 days, while non-GDL drivers can be .05 or lower and be legal to drive. As such, the breathalyzer doesn’t know who’s driving. The only option is to just make it zero tolerance across the board for any driver, but it still won’t stop impaired drivers. Impaired driving spans much more than booze as well…OTC drugs, illegal drugs, prescription drugs so I just don’t think mandatory ignition interlocks are the answer or end all-be all.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I wish it was simple as it sounds. Alberta for example has a zero tolerance for GDL drivers where if they blow a number any higher than 0.00, they get their license suspended for 30 days and vehicle seized for 7 days, while non-GDL drivers can be .05 or lower and be legal to drive. As such, the breathalyzer doesn’t know who’s driving. The only option is to just make it zero tolerance across the board for any driver, but it still won’t stop impaired drivers. Impaired driving spans much more than booze as well…OTC drugs, illegal drugs, prescription drugs so I just don’t think mandatory ignition interlocks are the answer or end all-be all.
And I'm still a huge supporter that we need to crack down on our sober drivers that are morons too.

I honestly don't know where the police are anymore on the roads. I drive the Henday to and from work everyday and you'd think without photo radar on there now that they'd have more speed traps or be travelling the henday a little more to catch bad drivers, but I rarely see one now

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Last edited:

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
75143919007-gaudreau-funeral-ac-017.jpeg

Looks like Nuge went to the funeral. Glad someone from the Oilers went to pay their respects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad