Johnny Gaudreau: 2015/16 expectations?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bandwagon In Flames*

lol, how many guys scored 80 pts last year? And these were the elite of the elite. Johnny isn't scoring 80 pts.

That would be a 15 point uptick which isn't as big of a gap as it sounds. I'm not expecting you to have watched his 45 minute highlight package of last season, but the guy generates 3-4 great scoring chances every game. It's not like everything was going in for them last season, there were plenty of botched plays.

Even just look at the 2 games so far this season. He has 4 points but could easily have scored another 2 goals if not for Miller being on his annual hot start.

Last season Wideman and Gaudreau had great chemistry and fed off eachother. This season it looks like Hamilton is already developing chemistry with Gaudreau. He already benefited from an amazing pass for an easy power play goal.

Johnny is an elite hockey player and 80 points is not out of the realm of possibility.

Bandwagon In Flames*

Regarding the injury front, it's completely ridiculous to think Gaudreau will be prone to injuries. He has never sustained an injury in his career. NEVER!!! (knock on wood)

You could say he's the most durable player on the Flames. And it's not 'oh well once he takes a big hit that's it for him'. He HAS taken several big hits so far and it hasn't hindered his play. He scored a natural hat trick against the big bruising L.A Kings so obviously the size doesn't intimidate him.

And if you want to get into evidence that smaller or soft players can be durable NHLers, look no further than the Iron man streak. Formerly held by Boumeester who is the softest player in the NHL over 6 feet tall. Currently held by 5'10" 185lb Cogliano who is not a big bruiser by any means. Honorable mention to Henrik Sedin who went almost a decade without missing a game. Soft soft soft.

It seems players who avoid contact can play a long time in this league, unhindered by injuries. Gaudreau has the speed and smarts to do exactly that.

To pile on that, ever hear the saying "Bigger they are, harder they fall"? As a tall 220lb man, I can confirm this is true and even more-so when your falling on ice.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
To pile on that, ever hear the saying "Bigger they are, harder they fall"? As a tall 220lb man, I can confirm this is true and even more-so when your falling on ice.

The physics involved in a hockey hit is far more complicated than big guy hits little guy, little guy gets more hurt.

Like you've said, taller guys fall harder. Also, bigger players absorb more impact into their bodies, while smaller players are more likely to fall. Shorter bones are also harder to break. Try snapping a pencil in half, then snap it a second time.

How durable a player is has far more to do with the unique composition of their body and playing style than size.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
That would be a 15 point uptick which isn't as big of a gap as it sounds. I'm not expecting you to have watched his 45 minute highlight package of last season, but the guy generates 3-4 great scoring chances every game. It's not like everything was going in for them last season, there were plenty of botched plays.

Even just look at the 2 games so far this season. He has 4 points but could easily have scored another 2 goals if not for Miller being on his annual hot start.

Last season Wideman and Gaudreau had great chemistry and fed off eachother. This season it looks like Hamilton is already developing chemistry with Gaudreau. He already benefited from an amazing pass for an easy power play goal.

Johnny is an elite hockey player and 80 points is not out of the realm of possibility.

Last year, 5 guys scored 80+ pts. The year before that 7 guys. Are you telling that Gaudreau is already a top 5 to 7 (or even top 10) point getter in this league? I'm willing to do a few months screen name bet that he won't get 80 pts this year.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Last year, 5 guys scored 80+ pts. The year before that 7 guys. Are you telling that Gaudreau is already a top 5 to 7 (or even top 10) point getter in this league? I'm willing to do a few months screen name bet that he won't get 80 pts this year.

I think Gaudreau will improve on last year's numbers. I'd put him in the 70-75 range most likely. 80 is unlikely but not impossible. I don't think there are any fans saying that he will definitely get 80, but they are saying they wouldn't be shocked if it happened.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
I think Gaudreau - or any other less than 5'10'' tall player being the best of the bunch - should be awarded annually with the newly established so called "Golden Shrimp Trophy" (in need of a better and less derogatory or segregating name) just alongside all the other recognitional Trophys of the league given to merited players. This would be for promotional reasons encouraging smaller talented players in pursuing their dreams of becoming NHL regulars.

Edit: Perhaps Theo Fleury Memorial Trophy could be appropriate name for this award. Well, just saying. Peace.

Last edited:

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
I would be 100% on board with a Theo Fleury Memorial Trophy For Excellence In Tenacity

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
If you are 6th in scoring you are not top 10 , you are top 6 ... if you are 3rd in scoring you are not top 5 , you are top 3 ....

I can see the headlines now.

Gaudreau finishes 6th in scoring. Good enough for 'top 6' but unfortunately not good enough for top 10 . :(

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I think Gaudreau - or any other less than 5'10'' tall player being the best of the bunch - should be awarded annually with the newly established so called "Golden Shrimp Trophy" (in need of a better and less derogatory or segregating name) just alongside all the other recognitional Trophys of the league given to merited players. This would be for promotional reasons encouraging smaller talented players in pursuing their dreams of becoming NHL regulars.

Edit: Perhaps Theo Fleury Memorial Trophy could be appropriate name for this award. Well, just saying. Peace.

Theo's not dead yet. :laugh:

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
I think Gaudreau will improve on last year's numbers. I'd put him in the 70-75 range most likely. 80 is unlikely but not impossible. I don't think there are any fans saying that he will definitely get 80, but they are saying they wouldn't be shocked if it happened.

god i sure hope so. i have him and monahan in my pool :yo:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

70-75 seems reasonable to me as well. The line of Hudler, Gaudreau and Monahan is such a dynamic line. More and more I see JG as the guy who makes that line click. He's just such a great play maker and goes to those dirty areas even though he's a small guy. It's really hard to say what his high end could be but I also would not be shocked if he ended up close to a pint per game.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
70-75 seems reasonable to me as well. The line of Hudler, Gaudreau and Monahan is such a dynamic line. More and more I see JG as the guy who makes that line click. He's just such a great play maker and goes to those dirty areas even though he's a small guy. It's really hard to say what his high end could be but I also would not be shocked if he ended up close to a pint per game.

People also have to remember that JG worked his way up to the top line. He started off the season with very limited opportunities. If you exclude those first 20 games or so when he wasn't getting his current ice time, he was at a 70 point pace already.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I have a feeling that Flames fans are going to be disappointed in both the Flames' record and Johnny's stats. Expectations seem way too lofty, they're not that good or deep of a team.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I have a feeling that Flames fans are going to be disappointed in both the Flames' record and Johnny's stats. Expectations seem way too lofty, they're not that good or deep of a team.

Huge pass tonight. A point already in the first.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012

I have a feeling you're going to feel silly in a few months. Watch the tape, Gaudreau is only getting better.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
People also have to remember that JG worked his way up to the top line. He started off the season with very limited opportunities. If you exclude those first 20 games or so when he wasn't getting his current ice time, he was at a 70 point pace already.

You only have to exclude the first 5. He's got 69 points in his last 78 games. So he's already scored at a 73 point pace over the past 78 games, many of which included time with 3rd liners and limited power play opportunities.

So 70-75 points would be a bit of a disappointment IMO. Would show pretty much no improvement. I would have to guess that with more ice time with better players he'll be at least near a PPG if not better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad