Johnny Gaudreau: 2015/16 expectations?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
This should be emphasized. Honestly reminds me of watching a great NBA PG like Steve Nash.

He seems a half second ahead of everyone on the ice, which is a lot in today's hockey.

Flames lucked there way into an absolute future superstar, seems like poetic justice after what's really been awful luck in the high end of the draft for years(along with some legitimately terrible picks).

It was a bit of luck that Boston didn't pick him earlier, but it was definitely orchestrated in a way to not tip off other teams of his skills, otherwise he likely would have been picked earlier. A good read on Johnny being scouted and drafted:

Calgary being stealth to hide their interest

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Sucks his point got taken away, although it was offside :laugh:, just a beautiful play. You can tell guys freeze up when they're one on one with him now.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Such patience to hold it and dump it off to Monahan for the goal that was called off.

I love watching how creative he is. Makes me realize how bad of a hockey player I am. I'll be watching thinking pass it Johnny or shoot that ****, when he just waits and sets up someone for a slam dunk goal.

He is such a good playmaker.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Such patience to hold it and dump it off to Monahan for the goal that was called off.

I love watching how creative he is. Makes me realize how bad of a hockey player I am. I'll be watching thinking pass it Johnny or shoot that ****, when he just waits and sets up someone for a slam dunk goal.

He is such a good playmaker.

Yah I've learned to just stop yelling shoot or pass when he has the puck :laugh:. More often than not he makes the perfect/nearly impossible play.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
It was a bit of luck that Boston didn't pick him earlier, but it was definitely orchestrated in a way to not tip off other teams of his skills, otherwise he likely would have been picked earlier. A good read on Johnny being scouted and drafted:

Calgary being stealth to hide their interest

Great article! I had some knowledge that the team, and that several other teams were quietly super excited about him even at the age of 18 but had no idea they went full clandestine.
The Legend grows :yo:.

Just goes to show, and disclaimer this might get more hyperbolic than I intend;), that when people get an extended viewing of Johnny Hockey they often can't help but start gushing over the raw talent this kid has. Grown men, hockey people for years, seen probably 1000's of players play, unfiltered GUSHING. Much like I'm doing now. No offence meant to the Monahans, McKinnons, Matthews, Reinharts, Stamkos' of the world, but Johnny approaches and executes the game in a way I don't think I've ever seen before. He's no prototype, that's for sure, which is part of what makes what he does, hell attempts to do sometimes; so unlike anything dmen are used to seeing.

Hockey's like anything, you do it long enough and at a high enough level, the muscle memory auto pilot part takes over. Your brain weighs outcomes and makes decisions without basically any conscious thought. How well the brain does this is what would be my approximation of the elusive "Hockey IQ". Don't ask me to back up the science, cuz I don't have the energy or the intelligence. Especially on defence, the auto pilot part gets relied upon more as you're literally reacting constantly to what's happening around you. Johnny Gaudreau's ability in this area, which is probably born of being a small winger with tremendous hands(might be motivated to learn how to read a big dman quicker than most his age) paired with his tremendous compete makes him one of the rarer talents to come into this league in a long time.

Or I dunno, he was born in a place called Salem, must be a witch :naughty:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
He's only played the Ducks once, so get ready for huge drop off in points as he continues to run up against real defenders like Bieksa, Fowler and Vatanen, shattering his confidence, and frail body. Mind you they don't have Bonino any more, so there are question marks for the remaining games.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
He's only played the Ducks once, so get ready for huge drop off in points as he continues to run up against real defenders like Bieksa, Fowler and Vatanen, shattering his confidence, and frail body. Mind you they don't have Bonino any more, so there are question marks for the remaining games.

Not sure whether to :laugh: or :shakehead

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Great article! I had some knowledge that the team, and that several other teams were quietly super excited about him even at the age of 18 but had no idea they went full clandestine.
The Legend grows :yo:.

Just goes to show, and disclaimer this might get more hyperbolic than I intend;), that when people get an extended viewing of Johnny Hockey they often can't help but start gushing over the raw talent this kid has. Grown men, hockey people for years, seen probably 1000's of players play, unfiltered GUSHING. Much like I'm doing now. No offence meant to the Monahans, McKinnons, Matthews, Reinharts, Stamkos' of the world, but Johnny approaches and executes the game in a way I don't think I've ever seen before. He's no prototype, that's for sure, which is part of what makes what he does, hell attempts to do sometimes; so unlike anything dmen are used to seeing.

Hockey's like anything, you do it long enough and at a high enough level, the muscle memory auto pilot part takes over. Your brain weighs outcomes and makes decisions without basically any conscious thought. How well the brain does this is what would be my approximation of the elusive "Hockey IQ". Don't ask me to back up the science, cuz I don't have the energy or the intelligence. Especially on defence, the auto pilot part gets relied upon more as you're literally reacting constantly to what's happening around you. Johnny Gaudreau's ability in this area, which is probably born of being a small winger with tremendous hands(might be motivated to learn how to read a big dman quicker than most his age) paired with his tremendous compete makes him one of the rarer talents to come into this league in a long time.

Or I dunno, he was born in a place called Salem, must be a witch :naughty:

Great post, 100% agreed. Anyone who watches him with any regularity know precisely how special his mind for the game truly is. He processes, reads, and reacts to the play as well as anyone I've seen in all my years watching hockey.

He'd be putting up video game numbers with the right linemates / system.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
The fact that he does all of that EVERY shift is what blows my mind. You see guys pull slick moves all the time and people are wowed and they hit the highlight reels for a day or two and go back to being their normal selves. Every time Johnny hits the ice i can pick out something he does that just makes me shake my head. That little juke he pulled that almost dropped that shark on his butt is a prime example and it just seems normal at this point.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I'm one of the biggest Gaudreau fans alive so I feel qualified to make one small critique . . . It's that he needs to be a bit more careful with some of the risky/soft passes back to the point or to the centre trailing on a rush into the offensive zone. Most extremely skilled players are given a bit of leeway regarding what they do, but if he can tighten that up even a tiny bit (not saying it's a big problem or anything), he'll be a near perfect player. At only 22 I'm sure this will happen.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I'm one of the biggest Gaudreau fans alive so I feel qualified to make one small critique . . . It's that he needs to be a bit more careful with some of the risky/soft passes back to the point or to the centre trailing on a rush into the offensive zone. Most extremely skilled players are given a bit of leeway regarding what they do, but if he can tighten that up even a tiny bit (not saying it's a big problem or anything), he'll be a near perfect player. At only 22 I'm sure this will happen.

Thing is. He expects them to be at least somewhat capable of making a play of their own. He has the ability to go full Malkin if he had the confidence to do so. I think him and Bennett are going to be a dynamic pair going forward.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Thing is. He expects them to be at least somewhat capable of making a play of their own. He has the ability to go full Malkin if he had the confidence to do so. I think him and Bennett are going to be a dynamic pair going forward.

Some of the time it is as you say . . . But some of the times the pass could be a little safer - even if it's because they're incapable of the skilled response to the skilled play. Anyway, he's developing at an amazing pace so it's just a small thing and it's not all the time.

I agree about he and Bennett. Sam could turn into a scary good player himself.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Another GWG tonight, plus a beauty assist to Monahan. Unreal that he's been able to keep a PPG pace on a team that's struggled to find offense.

Studz

Jun 20, 2015
City of Champions
As an Oiler fan, I must admit he is amazing, elite hands and so shifty. He is something else.

Glad Calgary has him as the battle of Alberta should be good for years to come.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Nice job coming back from the risto hit.

For sure, he seems to always get a cheap shot thrown his way every game, but shrugs it off. True toughness.

Brent Burns took a good two hander to him the other night and it barely affected him.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Another GWG tonight, plus a beauty assist to Monahan. Unreal that he's been able to keep a PPG pace on a team that's struggled to find offense.

The teams finally starting to play a bit better and find the back of the net though. I think his overall pace could pick up even. Now our goaltending on the other hand.

Also, it's too bad JG's 1st period rush where he took on the whole Sabres team didn't convert into a goal. That was ridiculous. Kid is amazing!

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
As an Oiler fan, I must admit he is amazing, elite hands and so shifty. He is something else.

Glad Calgary has him as the battle of Alberta should be good for years to come.

Nice comments from our traditional rival to the north! Glad to see the straight up talent is being appreciated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad