John Tavares injury

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Yeah, and if Thomas Tatar had taken someone's eye out with his high stick, or if Jason Spezza had hooked his opponent around the neck, or if Danault's tripping victim had fallen smack on his face...maybe they should all have meetings with DOPS in case something might have happened.
If they were injured DOPS would suspend them, if not it's just a "hockey play"

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
I will state with 100% certainty that Perry did not intentionally hurt Tavares.

Fine, point is that's not what this thread is about. It's about JT and his injury. And there is 0% evidence that Perry did this intentionally or is happy that it happened or hoped that it happened. The whole conversation is distracting from a serious thing to care about; a person's well being in a scary incident.

If I just got in a car wreck and my loved one was in the hospital and I didn't know if they were okay and it was the worst day of my life, it wouldn't be very nice if everyone around me was there bickering about who's fault it was or if it was maybe not an accident or not, when I didn't even know if my loved one was going to be okay.

And I was being literal. And IT DOESN'T MATTER. I didn't say Perry could or would do it. The comment was 'no player'. It doesn't matter, I regret being a big enough idiot to make a literal reply to that. In my mind, it is humanly possible that a person could possibly do that. This does not apply here. It isn't worth discussing here. It wasn't about Perry. And I'm sorry, and I'm going to shut up and stop talking. I'm doing exactly what I don't want to do and I'm sorry I brought this trash into this thread.

SaintsThomas

May 16, 2017
Umm ...Sorry you can be totally 100 percent careful and still makes mistakes. Its called life. Careless =acting without care. . Father and sons can play baseball together and these mistakes can happen. Just curious, if the batter hits a comebacker that strikes a player or even a pitcher on the head, is he being careless?

Unless you can prove that a batter actually has the luxury of deciding where his batting will hit with 2 feet of margin of error, no.

If you have a player trying to reach a base player for a defensive play, and the ball accidentally hits a runner who was rushing, no.

You have a hockey player skating as fast as he can to prevent a turnover, and another player falls in front of him, no.

You have a pitcher, standing still. He doesn't have a clock to hurry his pitch, so he can take all the time in the world. His target is standing still. Nobody has the right to interfere with his pitch.

One of the above situation, if it leads to an injury, is less of a "freak accident" than the others.

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
Yes, Perry would never do anything that would put the health and safety of another player in jeopardy.

Give me a break. Maybe he would but he didn't in this instance. It happened super fast and he wasn't even looking at Tavares falling. When he noticed he made an effort to get out of the way. Perry isn't that much of a grease ball that he would intentionally knee his buddy violently in the head. Anyone who still thinks this was intentional is completely out to lunch and obviously a huge Leafs homer. Makes me think that people don't realize how quick this game moves in front of you if you think Perry could have avoided that.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
That was a freak accident.
And I hate Corey Perry

Don't know why that second part needs to be stated right now, at a time like this, in this sort of conversation, but good for you, you've let us know that you're capable of at least enough objectivity to not accuse someone of trying to potentially kill someone else, despite that you "hate" them. I'm glad you're capable of that extremely bare bones level of objectivity at minimum. I take it your hate for him would typically make you incredibly biased, but this situation was so cut and dry you aren't even being biased, despite your overwhelming urge to be or something. So this is your whimsical way of adding impact to how strongly you feel it was an accident.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Don't know why that second part needs to be stated right now, at a time like this, in this sort of conversation, but good for you, you've let us know that you're capable of at least enough objectivity to not accuse someone of trying to potentially kill someone else, despite that you "hate" them. I'm glad you're capable of that extremely bare bones level of objectivity at minimum. I take it your hate for him would typically make you incredibly biased, but this situation was so cut and dry you aren't even being biased, despite your overwhelming urge to be or something. So this is your whimsical way of adding impact to how strongly you feel it was an accident.
This could have been any player on the ice, who skated by in that milli-second, Perry or even a leaf player for gods sake...............total freak accident, in literally a heartbeat.
We all as fans hope Tavares well, and a speedy recovery. That was a awful sight to see in an game, and puts alot of things in real perspective, or it should anyway.

WildWingz68JAGR

Mar 13, 2021
Ridin pine
Well guess Toronto and Mtl have unclassy newspapers...
E16HbEfVIAYSEh0

I dont agree with this at all... Unless he actually tried to injure him.. Horrible reporting in my opinion.. Now I want the LEAVES to lose.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

Good news that it's not worse news?

I felt fine once I saw his hands moving when he was being attended to on the ice. A concussion or head injury after a hit like that is serious, but after time he could come back (even if it's next season). However, a spinal injury would have been catastrophic. Good news that he's out of the hospital.

Reactions: Il Stugotz

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
That still doesn't really tell you anything. And not like they can, because concussions are unpredictable. He might not develop any further symptoms and could be cleared to play in a few weeks. Or, he starts having head-aches and other BS related to concussions, and is out for months.

But good news in a sense that his spine and neck is ok etc.

SaintsThomas

May 16, 2017
I felt fine once I saw his hands moving when he was being attended to on the ice. A concussion or head injury after a hit like that is serious, but after time he could come back (even if it's next season). However, a spinal injury would have been catastrophic. Good news that he's out of the hospital.

The fact that he tried to get up was a good sign regarding any spinal injury.

Obviously he shouldn't have done it. But some people just won't listen to their nurse and will always try to get up.

Plus, I don't think he was thinking clearly. Luckily, it won't have any consequences

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

It's a massive sigh of relief to know that it's not a medical emergency, at least. Hopefully, all it is is a short term concussion. I'm not going to hold out hope that he's back for the playoffs, but I do at least hope this isn't something that lingers long term.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
it feels like JT always goes down with a significant and unlucky injury at the start of huge tournaments. This year is the best chance the leafs have to get to the final 4 in years, and probably the best chance they'll get for a long time, and he gets hurt in game 1. He was hurt early on in the 2014 olympics too and took a bad ACL injury along the boards. just a weird pattern

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
As stupid as this may sound given what traditional hockey culture dictates, Foligno also could have put the issue to bed by just giving Perry a pat on the shoulder to say it's OK. For something this scary and alarming I don't think it would have been that crazy and it would have had the exact same effect.

I guess Foligno just didnt' have time to think it through. He doesn't need to be villified though.

Everyone should just want JT to be ok. Just got the update that he's now at home but out indefinitely.

Hope he's ok. He's got a beautiful day to enjoy with his family.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
When shit hits the fan like this and the Mikheyev skate injury last year Dubas always steps up. You can tell he genuinely cares about his players
I am sure any GM in the league would have had a similar reaction, there is just not a camera focused on them through the entire game so the feed can cut to Dubas footage every break in play.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Unless you can prove that a batter actually has the luxury of deciding where his batting will hit with 2 feet of margin of error, no.

If you have a player trying to reach a base player for a defensive play, and the ball accidentally hits a runner who was rushing, no.

You have a hockey player skating as fast as he can to prevent a turnover, and another player falls in front of him, no.

You have a pitcher, standing still. He doesn't have a clock to hurry his pitch, so he can take all the time in the world. His target is standing still. Nobody has the right to interfere with his pitch.

One of the above situation, if it leads to an injury, is less of a "freak accident" than the others.

So your saying If I was playing baseball with my father, he pitches to me and the ball slips and it hits me, that is not an accident and he is being careless?

Accident definition: an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.

Careless behavior is acting without care or concern. Now which definitions fits better with my example? You would be disingenuous if you don't pick the "accident". My father definitely cares about my well being.

Often leaving your front door open overnight is careless. Leaving your dog in a hot car or baby unattended is careless. You could literally take all precautions before throwing a pitch and be careful and still have it slip off your fingers. Having it slip off is unexpected and unintentional just like the definition of an accident states.

and BTW:

Reckless : (of a person or their actions) without thinking or caring about the consequences of an
action

In that analogy, my father hitting me when the balls slips off his fingers doesn't mean he is acting without thinking or caring about my well being.

So even "reckless" wouldn't fit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad