Player Discussion John Klingberg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Fowler and Klingberg both being on the list... and being paired together at times. Another genius move by Eakins #TankCommander

That being said, Verbeek put this defense together so I'll call him the #TankPresident

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Klingberg being this bad defensively was expected when looking at his recent history. I did a breakdown and wasn't excited with Klingberg's acquisition as I thought he was snapped up to get over the cap floor threshold. In the top quote, JFresh showed that Klingberg was already at 0% with Dallas in 2021-22. Yet, we heard claims that Klingberg is better than Manson on ice.

Klingberg is better than Manson in a couple of factors: being mostly healthy and only one-year contract.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Fowler and Klingberg both being on the list... and being paired together at times. Another genius move by Eakins #TankCommander

That being said, Verbeek put this defense together so I'll call him the #TankPresident

True, but also on that list are players that people are bitching about losing in Montour, a defenseman people complain we didn't acquire, multiple Norris winners, arguably Norris candidates, and arguably the best defenseman in the league. Need more context, but Klingberg being horrid defensively isn't an argument.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
True, but also on that list are players that people are bitching about losing in Montour, a defenseman people complain we didn't acquire, multiple Norris winners, arguably Norris candidates, and arguably the best defenseman in the league. Need more context, but Klingberg being horrid defensively isn't an argument.
He'd be okay next to a Hampus Lindholm.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Imo, has far as I know there is no stat that measures defense. Therefore anything claiming to do so will be flawed an unreliable.

Reactions: alsmiss94

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Imo, has far as I know there is no stat that measures defense. Therefore anything claiming to do so will be flawed an unreliable.
The only way is to watch the game and watch how most of our defense stands still, don't touching anyone near our goalie, always out of position giving up grade A chances. I've never seen a team allow screens with no resistance once oh ever as much as I have this season... It's almost like at times they think they are playing with adult league rules.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
The only way is to watch the game and watch how most of our defense stands still, don't touching anyone near our goalie, always out of position giving up grade A chances. I've never seen a team allow screens with no resistance once oh ever as much as I have this season... It's almost like at times they think they are playing with adult league rules.
Agreed. It just makes me laugh when people point to charts like this and say, "See, look how good/bag Player A is! We should/shouldn't target them." I don't see any value in them and wonder why they even exist.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Agreed. It just makes me laugh when people point to charts like this and say, "See, look how good/bag Player A is! We should/shouldn't target them." I don't see any value in them and wonder why they even exist.
I look at charts then match them to the eye test. Obviously that can't be the case in every situation as everyone doesn't watch every game (although I do watch a lot of hockey not just the Ducks). This season has given me time to watch more junior games and games around the league... I used to watch Duck games twice now sometimes I don't even watch the entire game. In this case both Fowler and Klingberg being on that list is not surprising....... at all.

Reactions: Deuce22

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I look at charts then match them to the eye test. Obviously that can't be the case in every situation as everyone doesn't watch every game (although I do watch a lot of hockey not just the Ducks). This season has given me time to watch more junior games and games around the league... I used to watch Duck games twice now sometimes I don't even watch the entire game. In this case both Fowler and Klingberg being on that list is not surprising at all.
The best scouting or player evaluation combines analytics and eye test. The problem in hockey (also baseball) is that people are sold out to one method or the other and are unable to admit that there is some value in both.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I look at charts then match them to the eye test. Obviously that can't be the case in every situation as everyone doesn't watch every game (although I do watch a lot of hockey not just the Ducks). This season has given me time to watch more junior games and games around the league... I used to watch Duck games twice now sometimes I don't even watch the entire game. In this case both Fowler and Klingberg being on that list is not surprising....... at all.
For sure. Coupled with the eye test you could derive reasonable conclusions. But I feel a lot of fans use these to generate opinions on players they don't see. As a tool that way its useless as most probably don't watch most of these players regularly.

Reactions: Deuce22

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
For sure. Coupled with the eye test you could derive reasonable conclusions. But I feel a lot of fans use these to generate opinions on players they don't see. As a tool that way its useless as most probably don't watch most of these players regularly.
Yeah for sure.... that's why it's hard to judge anyone's opinion online because no one knows how much they are even watching vs. reading online/advanced stats/etc.

Reactions: DavidBL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad