Player Discussion John-Jason (JJ) Peterka, RW (34th overall, 2020) -- Signed to ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

The irony is that the Sabres leader amongst forwards in EVTOI/GP last season was.... JJ Peterka at 15:15.

And if JJP gets Hino-like EVTOI, he should be in Buffalo. Hino was 6th amongst regular Sabres forwards last season in EVTOI with 11 seconds les than Cozens and 8 seconds more than VO and 13 seconds more than Mitts.

JJP will develop just fine if he is getting more ES ice time than VO & Mitts.

Last edited:

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf

The irony is that the Sabres leader in EVTOI/GP last season was.... JJ Peterka at 15:15.

And if JJP gets Hino-like EVTOI, he should be in Buffalo. Hino was 6th amongst regular Sabres forwards last season in EVTOI with 11 seconds les than Cozens and 8 seconds more than VO and 13 seconds more than Mitts.

JJP will develop just fine if he is getting more ES ice time than VO & Mitts.
Granato also seemed to like running a lot of the middle 6 guys based on how they were playing. Guys like VO, Mitts, Cozens, Asplund, etc all had their ice-time fluctuate game to game based on who was hot or feeling it that game. If JJ is out there all energy every game I'm sure he'll get all the icetime he needs.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Granato also seemed to like running a lot of the middle 6 guys based on how they were playing. Guys like VO, Mitts, Cozens, Asplund, etc all had their ice-time fluctuate game to game based on who was hot or feeling it that game. If JJ is out there all energy every game I'm sure he'll get all the icetime he needs.
The other factor in all this is how do guys like Peterka & Quinn look in camp.

There were a lot of people that said that Peterka looked better than Quinn at Sabres camp last year. If that happens again this year, it will make it really hard to send Peterka down to Rochester, IMO.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
The way the roster sits right now, it would be a really bad sign if either of them didn't. It would mean someone like Biro or Murray beat one of them out for a roster spot.

I disagree slightly. The fact that we signed UFA forward Hinostroza (13th forward) for $1.7M is somewhat unique. Although our plethora of cap space is somewhat unique.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Savoie spending two more years in the WHL is the most pessimistic take ive ever heard. He put up 90 points last year…leaving him there for two more is a terrible idea. That would be his FIFTH SEASON at that level. They let him play a third of a season in 19-20. He went to the USHL and was over a PPG the next year when he was worried WHL would shut down. He put up 90 points last year. He will not be returning to Winnipeg to put up 150 points in two years and spending 2020-2024 dominating the same level of play over and over. He’s near exceptional status in that league. He won’t play in it more than this next season.
I believe there was some talk about petitioning his AHL eligibility due to circumstances. I'm personally in no rush for any of these guys to get on the team since we have so many young guys pushing for the same spots but yeah if that doesn't happen then D+2 is certain to be the NHL.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I believe there was some talk about petitioning his AHL eligibility due to circumstances. I'm personally in no rush for any of these guys to get on the team since we have so many young guys pushing for the same spots but yeah if that doesn't happen then D+2 is certain to be the NHL.
Is there even a system in place for this? I always understood that it was 20yo by December, or you play in the CHL. Savoie won't even be 19 by December.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Is there even a system in place for this? I always understood that it was 20yo by December, or you play in the CHL. Savoie won't even be 19 by December.

iposted something on another forum and have not seen something on it.

if there was a CHL in 20-21 then 22-23 woukd be Savoie 4th season in the CHL which means CHL loses exclusive rights on junior eligible the next season which Savoie would be Allowing him to go to Rochester in 23/24.

with no CHL season in 20-21 does that mean Savoie has 2 more CHL exclusive years left? So 23/24 means Buffalo or CHL.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Unless he misses significant time I think 30 would be disappointing. My expectations are around 35.

His points will depend on useage. does he get PP time.

i have him and Quinn at more than the players they replaced. based on a full season PPG rate he coukd be in the 25-40 rate.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
iposted something on another forum and have not seen something on it.

if there was a CHL in 20-21 then 22-23 woukd be Savoie 4th season in the CHL which means CHL loses exclusive rights on junior eligible the next season which Savoie would be Allowing him to go to Rochester in 23/24.

with no CHL season in 20-21 does that mean Savoie has 2 more CHL exclusive years left? So 23/24 means Buffalo or CHL.
The way the CHL/AHL/NHL agreement is written is that you are AHL eligible when you are no longer CHL eligible. The one COVID-caveat was if you were able to (and chose to) play in the AHL during 20-21, you kept your eligibility in 21-22, regardless of CHL eligibility.

So Savoie would still not be AHL eligible in 23-24 as he’s still CHL eligible.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Krebs-Thompson would definitely be high event. For everyone.
I truly hope we don't see Krebs at wing this year. I think his comments with during the Amerks playoff run indicated that the franchise views him as a C - which I strongly agree with. Wing seems like a very bad mix for his skill set IMO

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
The way the CHL/AHL/NHL agreement is written is that you are AHL eligible when you are no longer CHL eligible. The one COVID-caveat was if you were able to (and chose to) play in the AHL during 20-21, you kept your eligibility in 21-22, regardless of CHL eligibility.

So Savoie would still not be AHL eligible in 23-24 as he’s still CHL eligible.
There's this issue every year with high performing juniors. We'll just see more and more guys going NCAA until the CHL loosens it's leash. There's Euro leagues for kids to consider as well but I'd guess they have to be pretty adventurous to go that route

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

7. John-Jason Peterka, LW

20 years old | 5-foot-11 | 192 pounds | Shoots left

Drafted: No. 34 in 2020
Tier: Bubble top and middle of the lineup player

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: NHL average
Shot: Above NHL average

Analysis: Peterka had an excellent season, scoring at a point-per-game pace as a teenager in the AHL. He has great skill and can shoot the puck, but his ability to play with pace and make skilled plays at fast speeds is why he’s been so successful as a pro. Peterka is a highly creative passer as well; he makes a consistent effort on the ice, and overall has everything you look for in a top-six forward other than his frame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad