Prospect Info: Joakim Kemell, 17th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
How's Kemell looking so far? Seems like offensively he has maybe had a slower start than we might've been hoping?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
How's Kemell looking so far? Seems like offensively he has maybe had a slower start than we might've been hoping?
Kinda sounds from the reports here and on the main board that his team is a bit of a mess and his utilization has been awful. Hopefully it doesn’t set him back too much, guess we might wish we had kept him here or asked him to play junior or something. :dunno:

Reactions: JohnLennon

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
He's on the 3rd line with a center who doesn't have an assist in 64 games (didn't have an assist all of last year) and on the 2nd PP.

He's pretty much going to waste with a coaching group who always prefer veterans "who play sound defense".

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
At this point they must be playing guys pulled out of the stands.
Pretty much. Who recognizes these names: Gordie Green, Cole Coskey, Matthew Santos, Christopher Cameron, Cameron Hausinger? Tye Felhaber is one we picked up who at least has a little bit of recognizability maybe?

That's in addition to all the "future consideration" trades that were made to bring in the Giants, Ratcliffe, Rueschoff, and Angello (who seem to be playing pretty good?)

Reactions: Kat Predator

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Pretty much. Who recognizes these names: Gordie Green, Cole Coskey, Matthew Santos, Christopher Cameron, Cameron Hausinger? Tye Felhaber is one we picked up who at least has a little bit of recognizability maybe?

That's in addition to all the "future consideration" trades that were made to bring in the Giants, Ratcliffe, Rueschoff, and Angello (who seem to be playing pretty good?)
A mob of randos.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
He's had a rough season in Finland. I wonder how much that affects his confidence. Good thing he gets games under his belt in NA, thought.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
At least coming in like this, he has a chance to play a bigger role in Milwaukee. We've got like 6 forwards up in Nashville atm and Nurmi and Kondelik have both been injured for the last month. If he can play the double-header this weekend against GR and get off to a good start, that'd be really nice.

With how stacked the Milwaukee roster was at first, there was a legit question whether he could even make it into the lineup. Now... should be wide open for him to get a dozen regular season games under his belt anyway. And if he does well enough, maybe even playoffs once everybody else comes back down too.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Hopefully The Plan is truly for him to be in Milwaukee all next season too. I don't think it would hurt him even if he's not 100% ready, guys like Trenin got like 5 goals in their first AHL season, or Tolvanen only got 15. He doesn't have to kill the AHL right off the bat for it to still be better for him than it sounds like last season in Finland was. And we can for sure let him go to WJC too.

Of course, being junior eligible, he could also still play in Regina, I suppose, assuming they still have his CHL rights. That would have been fun this year with Bedard, but they aren't a great team in the WHL even with Bedard now, so I wouldn't be too optimistic about how things will be there next year without Bedard. They have a young gun named Tanner Howe coming up, and a fairly young roster, so maybe there is more hope for them post-Bedard than I am giving them credit for. But still... I would think Milwaukee is the plan, not Regina. (And Poile's comments about 1st rounders would certainly make one think that's the case).

Last edited:

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Hopefully The Plan is truly for him to be in Milwaukee all next season too. I don't think it would hurt him even if he's not 100% ready, guys like Trenin got like 5 goals in their first AHL season, or Tolvanen only got 15. He doesn't have to kill the AHL right off the bat for it to still be better for him than it sounds like last season in Finland was. And we can for sure let him go to WJC too.

Of course, being junior eligible, he could also still play in Regina, I suppose, assuming they still have his CHL rights. That would have been fun this year with Bedard, but they aren't a great team in the WHL even with Bedard now, so I wouldn't be too optimistic about how things will be there next year without Bedard. They have a young gun named Tanner Howe coming up, and a fairly young roster, so maybe there is more hope for them post-Bedard than I am giving them credit for. But still... I would think Milwaukee is the plan, not Regina. (And Poile's comments about 1st rounders would certainly make one think that's the case).
I hope so too. Probably comes down to what his perceived role would be for each team.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
At this point they must be playing guys pulled out of the stands.
I am too old to play!

Seriously, they have a few guys that were in the Admirals camp for a week. They picked up some guys from the ECHL, like Xavier Bouchard, who played 2 games with them last season and 12 this season. Mathew Santos came from the Maine Mariners. He hasn't done a lot in his 10 games, but he has filled a spot in the lineup.

Isaac Ratcliffe played 10 games for the Flyers last season and is averaging a point a game here along with smashing people left and right. He came in a trade.

Jimmy Huntington just came back from his injury. That returns a speedy Center who likes to check people, especially in the corners.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I don't know how Kemell's played but watching him in Finland I think he has a few major things to work on in his game:

Teammate utilization - Kemell's a pure shooter who can find open spots in the ice and get himself open for getting his shots. He's a volume shooter. He needs to, however, realize that other players can shoot the puck as well and he needs to do a better job at reading the play and making plays to his teammates as well. He doesnt' need to do all the shooting himself.

Positioning - Kemell is an energetic player who's presence is felt all over the ice. I think however that he needs to do a better job at predicting the play and getting to good offensive and defensive positions. Too often he's in a bad spot so he's getting circled around like a traffic cone, especially in the neutral zone. He's defensively active, he has good work ethic but he needs to utilize his brain more in that regard. Work smart, not hard.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
In both games, he looked ok. Doesn’t mind getting in the mix along the boards. Made a couple of hits that I wasn’t expecting from him. Only one bad turnover. Appears to be lost at times when he doesn’t have the puck, possibly due to not knowing the system well or just adjusting to the smaller ice. Nothing spectacularly good, nothing spectacularly bad, just ok. I’ll have to go back and rewatch for his play in the defensive zone, I didn’t really notice anything egregious in his defensive play live.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
It's really great Kemell can come over here and get this fairly extended adaptation opportunity at the end of this season. It should really help him understand how the AHL looks, what he can work on through the summer, so that he lands next season really prepared straight out of the gate.

So therefore, I am not going to get the least bit worried about what he accomplishes in this stint. If he goes all 12 games and puts up zeroes across the board, that's fine, nobody should push any panic buttons. Anything he does do past that should really just be looked at as a bonus.

Reactions: Kaako Kappo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad