Proposal: Jimmy Snuggerud and 16OA from STL to move up at draft

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
He was playing injured down the stretch, and I don't know how scoring goals at the same rate with less talent is viewed as a bad thing when that's his primary attribute. He's still on a Brock Boeser path. If you think he was more than that, then you overrated him, it's not that he fell off.

I couldn't care less what his assist totals are, that's not his game.
So Mike hoffman 2.0. Can't do anything else but shoot

Yah Habs will pass and draft a star with their pick

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
No, but thanks for saying you've never watched him.
We all did at the WJC and other occasions.

Guy cant create on hos own. Needs to be latched to a better player than he his to produce.

16+23 (where he was drafted) doesn't get you close top top10

Reactions: Rafafouille

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Zero chance Habs do this

Snugg got worse in his D+2 year, not even PPG... He was drafted 23OA, his stock is lower now... Why are Habs tradinf a top 5 pick for #16 and #30 in terms of value?
:laugh:

We all did at the WJC and other occasions.

Guy cant create on hos own. Needs to be latched to a better player than he his to produce.

16+23 (where he was drafted) doesn't get you close top top10
:biglaugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Rafafouille

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
I like Snugg, would definitely consider 16+him for 11 on pure value. Unfortunately, he is a bit redundant to Kulich so I'm not sure it would be something I would do until I saw how the board went. I will say, this is a draft with a lot of talent in that 5-17 range... so someone good is going to fall to 16 naturally.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
What draft pick value chart are you using? The one from the Athletic would suggest picks 16 and 48 would be worth about pick 9.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-05-at-4.55.33-PM.png

Of course, each draft and each situation is different. Depends on the level of desperation and who it is trying to talk the other side into the deal.
The athletic pick value chart is based on pick outcomes. They generally do not account for the fact that it usually takes an overpay to move up, and so underrate what it would actually cost to trade up in real life

value chart's like puckpedia are based on actual trades that have occurred, making them much more accurate when basing trades off of.

Teams are not going to move down to 16 for a mid 2nd

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Blues need a top D prospect. I'd love to see them move up enough to grab a Dickinson, Silayev, Levshunov, Buium or Yakemchuk which would probably require a top-8 or top-9 pick. I may be in the minority of Blues fans, but all of the Blues top prospects are forwards. I'd be willing to dangle Jimmy Snuggerud and the Blues 1st pick to move into the top-10.

Would any team with a pick between 4 and 10 be willing to make a move back in exchange for Snuggerud's bomb of a shot and a later pick?

Dude, this ain’t the draft to trade up in.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I’m not a fan of either the Blues or the Devils, but it’s my understanding that the rumour is #10 could be available with the Devils looking to improve their goaltending.

Would there be an appetite on either side for a Binnington and #16 for #10 + Daws or something along those lines?

Just an outsider’s ponderings.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I’m not a fan of either the Blues or the Devils, but it’s my understanding that the rumour is #10 could be available with the Devils looking to improve their goaltending.

Would there be an appetite on either side for a Binnington and #16 for #10 + Daws or something along those lines?

Just an outsider’s ponderings.
Can't see why Blues would do that. Perhaps Binnington straight up for 10.

• Haha
Reactions: Jared Dunn

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Funny cause when I look at the team stats, some of his teammates have produced more than him, yet again...

Lets he real here is isn't lighting up the NCAA either. He aint a sniper like Caufield and fact is, at best his "stock" stayed similar to what it was when he was drafted ie a late 1st rder.

Now, Blues are offering 16 + late 1st rder to climb in the top 10... Where is the value for the other team? Quality > Quantity

If the offer was Neighbours + 16OA I could see the Habs entertaining this as we know we gat an NHLer at least
Big andnphysical winger, pro level shot, captain of team USA WJC , pretty much PPG without Cooley. The kid can play and would be an asset for us. This is a kid that will elevate in the playoffs

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Big andnphysical winger, pro level shot, captain of team USA WJC , pretty much PPG without Cooley. The kid can play and would be an asset for us. This is a kid that will elevate in the playoffs
34.in 39 is not PPG. Ots actually worse than his D+1 year

Btw he ended as the 7th best F on that USA team with a worse tourney than the year prior.

Im bot saying hes not a good prospect. But his stock isnt higher than where he eas drafted which is around 25 in value. 16+25 doesn't bring you a top5 pick

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
34.in 39 is not PPG. Ots actually worse than his D+1 year

Btw he ended as the 7th best F on that USA team with a worse tourney than the year prior.

Im bot saying hes not a good prospect. But his stock isnt higher than where he eas drafted which is around 25 in value. 16+25 doesn't bring you a top5 pick
Did you watch the world juniors? Also yes he lost solid teammates in his last NCAA year… production dipped a bit. Still think he plays a pro game. With stat watching like that I suppose you didn’t think Tkachuk would make the show?😂

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
If Demidov and Lindstrom are gone (meaning max 2 of Levshunov/Silayev/Dickinson/Buium are unavailable for STL), I would do

5 + 57 for 16 + Dvorsky

provided I have a 2nd deal ready to move up from 16 with 26 and other B+ prospects (to 9-13).

I don't expect that deal to be particularly liked by anyone else, because Dvorsky wasn't too liked on our board 12 months ago (few know how good he did this year in the CHL), and it sounds expensive for STL, but you don't usually get a shot at a potential 1D when you want to build the deal around the 16oa (to clarify I think Dvorsky > 2024 16oa).

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
If Demidov and Lindstrom are gone (meaning max 2 of Levshunov/Silayev/Dickinson/Buium are unavailable for STL), I would do

5 + 57 for 16 + Dvorsky

provided I have a 2nd deal ready to move up from 16 with 26 and other B+ prospects (to 9-13).

I don't expect that deal to be particularly liked by anyone else, because Dvorsky wasn't too liked on our board 12 months ago (few know how good he did this year in the CHL), and it sounds expensive for STL, but you don't usually get a shot at a potential 1D when you want to build the deal around the 16oa (to clarify I think Dvorsky > 2024 16oa).

I just don't see a reason for the thought in the first place of moving one of our top prospects to move up from 16. This draft class has been widely viewed as pretty weak. Snuggerud has largely exceeded his draft pick position. I don't see why our front office would be upset with Dvorsky's progression, especially with how highly they viewed him at the time of the draft.

Here's the outcomes that are possible.

Moving Dvo/Snuggerud + 16 and getting a #1 - probably worth it for the Blues
Moving Dvo/Snuggerud + 16 and getting a top 4 defenseman - not worth it but not really potentially disastrous if - we're trading a young top 6 player and 16 hits
Moving Dvo/Snuggerud + 16 and getting a guy who gets NHL time but never really becomes a truly important piece of the blueline - absolutely disastrous.

There's so much risk involved with something like this - at least with the two prospects we have we have seen their post draft development and are really excited and happy about it. Why take the chance on throwing one of them away to slightly improve our odds on hitting the lottery in this draft?

There are a lot of defenseman in this class who are projectable with some flaws, and not many that don't have some noticable questions.

Then there's also the guys who have shown some things that could potentially jump into that first group but due to some issues haven't really been seen enough due to injury or haven't really played in a competitive league.

I'd say the first list is probably Levshuvnov, Buium, Parekh, Dickinson, Yakemchuk, Silayev

Then I'd say you could fit Jiricek, Solberg, maybe Kiviharju in that 2nd group.

There's a lot of options there, the 2nd round also has a pretty long list of guys that have some things that are intriguing on the defensive side.

I just can't imagine taking a heavy risk of losing out on a 3rd tier pick and trading a guy who would almost assuredly be in the 2nd tier of this draft is a good idea to try and find a better positional fit when none of it is guaranteed.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Did you watch the world juniors? Also yes he lost solid teammates in his last NCAA year… production dipped a bit. Still think he plays a pro game. With stat watching like that I suppose you didn’t think Tkachuk would make the show?😂
Personally I would listen if Demidov and Lindstrom are gone at #5 but I still think 16 and Snuggerud isn't enough to jump to 5th.....

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad