Proposal: Jimmy Snuggerud and 16OA from STL to move up at draft

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
I just don't see a reason for the thought in the first place of moving one of our top prospects to move up from 16. This draft class has been widely viewed as pretty weak. Snuggerud has largely exceeded his draft pick position. I don't see why our front office would be upset with Dvorsky's progression, especially with how highly they viewed him at the time of the draft.

Here's the outcomes that are possible.

Moving Dvo/Snuggerud + 16 and getting a #1 - probably worth it for the Blues
Moving Dvo/Snuggerud + 16 and getting a top 4 defenseman - not worth it but not really potentially disastrous if - we're trading a young top 6 player and 16 hits
Moving Dvo/Snuggerud + 16 and getting a guy who gets NHL time but never really becomes a truly important piece of the blueline - absolutely disastrous.

There's so much risk involved with something like this - at least with the two prospects we have we have seen their post draft development and are really excited and happy about it. Why take the chance on throwing one of them away to slightly improve our odds on hitting the lottery in this draft?

There are a lot of defenseman in this class who are projectable with some flaws, and not many that don't have some noticable questions.

Then there's also the guys who have shown some things that could potentially jump into that first group but due to some issues haven't really been seen enough due to injury or haven't really played in a competitive league.

I'd say the first list is probably Levshuvnov, Buium, Parekh, Dickinson, Yakemchuk, Silayev

Then I'd say you could fit Jiricek, Solberg, maybe Kiviharju in that 2nd group.

There's a lot of options there, the 2nd round also has a pretty long list of guys that have some things that are intriguing on the defensive side.

I just can't imagine taking a heavy risk of losing out on a 3rd tier pick and trading a guy who would almost assuredly be in the 2nd tier of this draft is a good idea to try and find a better positional fit when none of it is guaranteed.
I don't disagree, not sure if the Blues should entertain the OP anyway.
I'm answering the original "who bites because I want a shot at a 1D" with a counteroffer.

I understand your analysis on the possible outcomes, but it only considers risk on the return, and none on Dvorsky/Snuggerud or the 16th. All those can still bust or shine and it changes the outlook - e.g. if you gave 2 complementary and unimpressive middle-sixers for a good top 4 D you look pretty smart.
I guess what I'm saying is that both teams are gambling on the odds, but at least they moved to fill a need.

I'm also glad you didn't diss me on value, pretty rare around these parts.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I don't disagree, not sure if the Blues should entertain the OP anyway.
I'm answering the original "who bites because I want a shot at a 1D" with a counteroffer.

I understand your analysis on the possible outcomes, but it only considers risk on the return, and none on Dvorsky/Snuggerud or the 16th. All those can still bust or shine and it changes the outlook - e.g. if you gave 2 complementary and unimpressive middle-sixers for a good top 4 D you look pretty smart.
I guess what I'm saying is that both teams are gambling on the odds, but at least they moved to fill a need.

I'm also glad you didn't diss me on value, pretty rare around these parts.

For sure I excluded the possibility of Dvorsky/Snuggerud failing I got tired of typing out the scenarios as it would've opened up a few more scenarios.

I guess my point is I'd be a lot more confident with a longer track record of development to be able to put the stock into the player.

Reactions: DiglettDangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad