Proposal: Jimmy Snuggerud and 16OA from STL to move up at draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
So what you are telling me is that he was carried by 2 better players

You do realize Pitlick was a better player than him last season...

Players drafted in the top10 are somewhat changing your team. They carry it. Jimmy showed he can't do that

I think you should really look at the past 10 years and look at the top 10 picks.

The top 5 picks rate are pretty good in your argument. 5-10, not so much.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
The Snuggy Bear slander will not be tolerated. If I’m Ottawa, I consider this. Snuggerud would be a perfect fit with Tkachuk & Stutzle

So, Snuggy and #16 for #7? I'd probably pull the trigger from STL's perspective...but I know there are those in Blues-land who wouldn't. Which probably means it's pretty close value-wise.

Wild #13 for Snuggered
Snuggy straight up for #13...and Blues keep #16? Tempting, but i'd probably pass unless one of the top-tier D-men fell.
Is Buch available?
Almost certainly, yes.
I would do this, not sure about other Flames fans, but I always liked Snuggerud
Snuggy & #16 for #9 seems a bit light going to STL; especially if Ottawa and Montreal would move their picks. But if Yakemchuk/Dickinson/Buium/Silayev are still on the board; I'd probably bite.
I'd do it if I was Habs brass for 5
Exactly who I was thinking of with this proposal. Couldn't see STL getting into the top-4, but 5-8 seemed reasonable.
I can’t help but actually consider this as a Montreal fan. Snuggerud is the kind of profile we need. And a 16th could allow us to still get a solid prospect or
Package it with the 26th for an established top 6. The Habs turnaround will be fast insuspect
Another Habs fan on board. I wouldn't hate a move up into the top-5, especially is Silayev falls a bit.
Buffalo #11 + Ryan Johnson for Snuggerud
Blues keep #16, and gain a young LHD plus #11? Interesting...
Would need to be an on-the-floor move as the board unfolds.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
It better be a Nemec coming back if we're trading #16 and Snuggerud. Otherwise there's a very good chance the player that is taken is hated by the fanbase because we traded a young top 6 forward and another young NHL player.

There's way too many outcomes where something like this turn out terribly bad, and not many where the result turns out good for the Blues, disregarding the other teams outcome.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Blues need a top D prospect. I'd love to see them move up enough to grab a Dickinson, Silayev, Levshunov, Buium or Yakemchuk which would probably require a top-8 or top-9 pick. I may be in the minority of Blues fans, but all of the Blues top prospects are forwards. I'd be willing to dangle Jimmy Snuggerud and the Blues 1st pick to move into the top-10.

Would any team with a pick between 4 and 10 be willing to make a move back in exchange for Snuggerud's bomb of a shot and a later pick?
23 and 16 isnt getting you to top 10. Why would snuggarud? He has not moved up his draft spot.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
It's from soundofhockey.com. the chart you are using from the athletic was created with the intent of the value that has been gained from these draft pick positions over time. It attempts to show what picks theoretically should be worth. The chart I'm using aggregates trades that have historically been made by GMS. What GM's have actually valued the picsks at in the past. Whether they should be valued like that or not, I prefer using a chart based on historical trades. Although I do like Dom's model and I think it shows that picks in the range you are offering (48, 56) are often undervalued by GM's). They are often traded for pretty much anything at the trade deadline.
That’s fair as I would agree it’s better to use how GMs actually value the picks vs what they’re actually worth (but of course opens up an opportunity gap for a savvy GM to take advantage of).

I assume this is the chart you’re referring to:
Image-5-26-22-at-9.43-PM-980x701.jpg

It still suggests picks 16 and 48 are worth the 11th overall…but of course, Buffalo could easily say no thank you and hang up the phone.

With this draft being pretty wide open and different teams bound to value these guys quite differently, I bet we see more movement of picks this year than last.

Then again, the number of 1sts that moved on draft day last year was 0 so it’s not going to take much to beat 0. ;)

Reactions: Mac Attack

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
What draft pick value chart are you using? The one from the Athletic would suggest picks 16 and 48 would be worth about pick 9.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-05-at-4.55.33-PM.png

Of course, each draft and each situation is different. Depends on the level of desperation and who it is trying to talk the other side into the deal.
That chart might be good analytically, but I don't see it applicable in the real world.

In that chart picks 31 and 62 would be enough to ove up 11 spots in the 1st.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
That chart might be good analytically, but I don't see it applicable in the real world.

In that chart picks 31 and 62 would be enough to ove up 11 spots in the 1st.

I think these charts give a good reasonable range. They can't really factor out each individual draft though.

There are some drafts where I think 31 and 62 could land you 20, this may actually be one of them. However, there are alot where that would be a really dumb move.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It better be a Nemec coming back if we're trading #16 and Snuggerud. Otherwise there's a very good chance the player that is taken is hated by the fanbase because we traded a young top 6 forward and another young NHL player.

There's way too many outcomes where something like this turn out terribly bad, and not many where the result turns out good for the Blues, disregarding the other teams outcome.
Nemec was 2 OA. Youd have to add a lot more

Buffalo #11 + Ryan Johnson for Snuggerud
WTF....buffalo does not nerd snuggeruf let alone the value is outrageous

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
That’s fair as I would agree it’s better to use how GMs actually value the picks vs what they’re actually worth (but of course opens up an opportunity gap for a savvy GM to take advantage of).

It still suggests picks 16 and 48 are worth the 11th overall…but of course, Buffalo could easily say no thank you and hang up the phone.

With this draft being pretty wide open and different teams bound to value these guys quite differently, I bet we see more movement of picks this year than last.

Then again, the number of 1sts that moved on draft day last year was 0 so it’s not going to take much to beat 0. ;)

That value chart is way off. 15 to 12 will cost more than a mid 2nd.

Buffalo isnt trading downn for a 2nd this yr

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota

Players drafted in the top10 are somewhat changing your team. They carry it. Jimmy showed he can't do that

Top 10 draft picks carry your team? Nail Yakupov says Hi.

Bottom line is that nobody really knows how these kids are going to develop. If you have a chance to get another high end prospect like Snuggerud while still retaining a top 20 1st - most teams take that trade.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018

I hope we see picks move. It's more fun

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006

By reading this drivel, you too can lower your IQ.

Reactions: crowi

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
I'll echo I'd love him on the ducks, but we would have to find a different basis for a trade, and I know nothing of stl needs so I won't even try.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Only way I’m moving Snuggy is if I have inside knowledge that he might go the 4 year NCAA route.

Otherwise I’d just look at trading Buchnevich prior to the draft and see what teams would be interested in moving back to 16OA for a mix of…

“Buch Assets”, 48OA and 55OA

This assumes Buch Assets includes a late first at the minimum.

If we can’t move up and get a player we target we just hold steady and stockpile more talent.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Nemec? For Snuggerud and #16? Oof.

• Haha
Reactions: STLegend

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad