Post-Game Talk: Jiminy Crickets, Emphasis on the Crickets

3 Stars

• Total voters

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Our first ten games have historically been an absolutely terrible predictor of the season so while there have been a lot of positive signs… let’s not raise the banner yet
didn't they rip off a huge winning streak to start the season last year? last year went pretty well.

I can't really think of a relevant recent year where the Rangers started well and then collapsed later in the season and faired poorly, I guess because for the past 3 years at least they've been a good team.

At any rate, Toronto is also a good team and I'm not surprised to see them push hard in the 3rd and the Rangers have to weather that. Hard to bottle up the talent they have all game long. I'd like it not to be "hanging on by the skin of their teeth" but it'll do for regular season points at least

I like Mancini a lot and I don't really feel like it's all on his shoulders that the third pairing has been struggling but you gotta get a rookie experience somehow so IMO it's just kind of one of those things you live with for a bit. Then maybe send him down to get some more icetime in the AHL and call him up later

But the third pairing is probably still going to be kinda ass even without him

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Most third pairings are ass.

I’d rather weather the storm with 2 guys who have a chance to be good than with guys who we know are bad.

Also I 100% supported inserting Rempe back into the lineup last night but he did nothing to earn another game. He needs to be sent down once Vesey is ready.

Brodzinski is also bad, but he’s a better flavor of bad at this point.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
seemed like the 3rd pair D got stuck out there against matthews line for quite a bit last night. not ideal. still liked some things mancini did out there. got the assist making a very good play at the point. hes been unreal at getting shots on net from the point. hes very aggressive joining the rush for a dman that only had 10 points in ncaa last season. i thought a lot of our struggles getting out of the dzone last night was from the forwards making soft plays at the blueline. lot of poke checking and cute passes that didnt get out of the zone last night.

Reactions: kovazub94

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
seemed like the 3rd pair D got stuck out there against matthews line for quite a bit last night. not ideal. still liked some things mancini did out there. got the assist making a very good play at the point. hes been unreal at getting shots on net from the point. hes very aggressive joining the rush for a dman that only had 10 points in ncaa last season. i thought a lot of our struggles getting out of the dzone last night was from the forwards making soft plays at the blueline. lot of poke checking and cute passes that didnt get out of the zone last night.
And there were a bunch of times the forwards we caught on 1:15+ min shifts. What team has a good 3rd pairing on D? I'd rather let Mancini and Jones grow over the season.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Just like Hellebucyk is on pace for the Vezina?

Using "on pace" metrics a week into the season is a waste of time.
meh…it is better to feel good than look good my friend .

Edit: not sure why, there should be a photo of Fernando Llamas standing next to a luxury car here.
board has different ideas.
Well, this joke probably won’t land. sigh

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
3rd period now optional.
Just like goaltending in Colorado.

Way too many plays where they ice the puck without needing to. Bit them in the ass on the goal and a few other plays where it ended up in a great scoring opportunity.

Last edited:

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Was concerned when I heard Jones was scratched. After thinking about it, not so much. I think Mancini being our only waiver exempt D, still goes down. Since Lindgren is close, might as well play Vic as much as possible while he's up. We will use our original 6 and Chad as 7. He will get the odd start every so often because he can't sit around for weeks without playing.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Ruhwedals game is so freaking ugly. I don't think he made one pass last night. Everything is chip off the boards out of the zone or dump in deep behind the goalie. It's so hard to watch. Absolutely no possession.

It is even more frustrating when you see Mancini actively trying to be creative, head up and looking to find ways to play the puck up the ice.

Let him and Jones cook.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
meh…it is better to feel good than look good my friend .

Edit: not sure why, there should be a photo of Fernando Llamas standing next to a luxury car here.
board has different ideas.
Well, this joke probably won’t land. sigh
I'm flashing back to Billy Crystal saying "You look Mahvelous" if it makes you feel any better!

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I just don't think being hemmed in our zone and giving up that many grade A chances is a recipe to win in the playoffs. And winning like this for years under Henrik and Igor and not having a cup tells me that they need to be better outside of goal.

Getting hemmed in the zone is a fact of life in the NHL. The Rangers have tightened things up in in the D zone. The only guy getting grade A’s for Leafs was Matthews and he’s a top 3 player in the world.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
This. People need to understand that there is a fundamental difference between home and road games. The third pair having an xGF% of 46 on the road against a good team is a good thing from my perspective. I don’t expect them to win against the best players in the league, and 46 is basically holding serve.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
It is justa very minor part of the game, but please take Miller of PP2. Ofcourse you can not expect to have 2 wizards like Fox for the poweplays, but atleast get a D-man that can make a quick and accurate pass to get the PK'ers moving. Miller is way to slow with the puck and his passing does not work for a PP.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It is justa very minor part of the game, but please take Miller of PP2. Ofcourse you can not expect to have 2 wizards like Fox for the poweplays, but atleast get a D-man that can make a quick and accurate pass to get the PK'ers moving. Miller is way to slow with the puck and his passing does not work for a PP.

Just play Fox for the full 2.

Lavi wanted to back door an escape route to not play Jones once Lindgren is ready to go so he didn't put ZJ there or else that would have worked better.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
I heard Alex Faust was with Dave Maloney again on the radio side making it now 3 of the 5 games the Rangers have played. The other two were called by Kenny and Dave. Where's Don La Greca? For any of you that have listened on the radio is DLG doing pre, post, and intermissions?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

The primary issue with PP2 is having Chytil out to take faceoffs to start the shift instead of having Trocheck take them and then go to the pass. They have very little time to get set up in the first place and it's even less when you have one of the worst FO guys in the league usually losing the draw to start.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I heard Alex Faust was with Dave Maloney again on the radio side making it now 3 of the 5 games the Rangers have played. The other two were called by Kenny and Dave. Where's Don La Greca? For any of you that have listened on the radio is DLG doing pre, post, and intermissions?
Yeah Don is still doing pre and post, but idk if it’s been every game.

Reactions: KennyWu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad