Jim Rutherford goes on Vancouver radio, blasts team's structure and throws Boudreau under the bus several times

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Could have moved on from him in the off season but that run would have put JR and PA under the hot seat if their new HC had a similar record to BB right now.
But, you either have the guts to make that call or you don’t. And clearly they didn’t have the guts to do it.
Made the easy call to just run it back.

But that’s life with this club under aquilini. Never bold enough to make the hard tough call even though it’s probably the right call.

Interesting and it makes complete sense. If they let Bruce walk and they started like this they'd immediately be on the hot seat. This is the safest play is to run it back. But now maybe ownership is saying "you said to run it back then run it back" and their seat is getting warm anyways.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Idk. I feel like OEL would probably do well in an AV defensive system. Hughes would get the "Ehrhoff treatment" and be fine with a license to freelance a bit, but probably sheltered better.

The rest...well Myers sucks anyway. The rest of our guys are kind of grinders and the types that AV loved anyway. Rathbone would be screwed, but he's kinda screwed anyway.

I think it's actually our Centers that he'd skewer. They have a ton of responsibility in his system, and he'd immediately want to send JT Miller to the press box.

I could see him benching literally every forward at some point for their lack of IQ and defensive effort but it wouldn't make a difference. This roster is f***ed.

Reactions: biturbo19

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
What's happening in Vancouver is bizarre IMO. When they hired Bruce they went something like 34-15-10 to end the season. I thought they'd be a sure-fire wildcard team this year. They're decent enough on paper, and Bruce is a top 10 coach in the league if you ask me.

I think there is a serious chemistry issue in the locker-room. Looks like JR is committing to a tank this year based off his comments, and I can't blame him. Go for Bedard/Michkov/Fantilli
And just like last year, they're capable of digging themselves out of the hole and get back in the bubble.

Sometimes these things just repeat themselves. There's obviously reasons why the Canucks are so volatile. It will likely stay the same until there are meaningful changes, but they aren't going to stay bad enough to tank that's for sure.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Boudreau is a top 10 coach in the regular season.

Be careful what you wish for, regarding a coaching change.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Interesting and it makes complete sense. If they let Bruce walk and they started like this they'd immediately be on the hot seat. This is the safest play is to run it back. But now maybe ownership is saying "you said to run it back then run it back" and their seat is getting warm anyways.
The owner has been the main problem over the years. They have spent a combined like 98/99% of the salary cap from 2016 season to 2022 for what? That’s the directive from the owner.

But lousy execution and over assessment of the roster.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Don't forget that Vancouver also quietly has the deepest forward group in the league as well.
Deep vs what works is a big difference. Their top 6-9 are solid but it's missing that 2way type that plays the harder defense minutes and leads the pk. Dickinson wasn't a world beater but he was decent enough in the role. They lost a lot of sandpaper to their bottom 6 as well and that matters a lot in the west.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
hell of a mentor.
I feel for some of these clown shows that Canadians have to go through. This is embarrassing.
Starts with the idiot owner.

BB has never been considered a great structure coach. Good in regular season playing offensive type hockey but the finer details of winning, he’s not that type of coach.

Again, they opted to run it back and this bye themselves some more time to clear the roster from the Benning mess. Let’s not kid ourselves here about why BB was brought back. They would have let him walk but with the run they went on in the final 55 games they just couldn’t. Way too much pressure on their chosen HC to match that run with this flawed team.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Some people confuse Rutherford's blathering to the media as some kind of 4D chess. Having endured him in Pittsburgh, I ultimately landed on Occam's razor. The simplest explanation is the right one: Rutherford is an old man with no filter. He has no regard for the consequences of his words. In a sport typically consumed by the mandate that you "always say the right thing," sometimes it's refreshing to get direct insight into the mind of your GM. Unfortunately JR's mind is mostly mush at this point.

Fun fact: I walked past him literally on the ice after the Pens won the Cup in '17. I went to give him a high five and he flinched like I was trying to attack him.

• Haha
Reactions: LemonSauceD

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Two things...

1) What does JR think the Owner is going to do? Aren't the Aquilini's going through a divorce? I think he's got other things on his mind...like whether they have to split their assets.

2) Considering the Barry Trotz stuff that has gone around, and his insistence that he will be more prepared to take on a Head Coach job after December.....I wonder if this is JR shooting a flare with a big "TROTZ PLEASE COME HERE AND SAVE US" message lighting up the sky.
Trotz going to want to come to place where they take a dump on the coach in the media?

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Its odd that the upper management and coach are not on the same page
Why doesn't JR fire Bruce?
Make me think that
Aquilini and ownership is the real GM of the Canucks and JR probable needs to go through him to get a new coach

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
They won the Cup with Schultz (reclamation project), Dumoulin (not really established yet), Ian Cole, Trevor Daley (last legs), Ron Hainsey (never had legs) and Olli Maatta.

That was remarkable stuff and one of the reasons Rutherford thinks you can win with just anyone. I'm not telling you I agree with him... telling you what he's thinking.

It's really just another case of the Exception kind of proving the rule.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I never liked Rutherford. He was on the downhill when he traded us tanner pearson for gudbranson.

I have nothing against Alvin yet. He seems more of a puppet at this point than anything.

gong show incoming. Canucks fans asking Ryan renoylds to buy the Canucks at the sens game was mint. I dislike our owners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad