Jim Rutherford goes on Vancouver radio, blasts team's structure and throws Boudreau under the bus several times

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I enjoy the aggressiveness of his trades in the sense that he makes the long season entertaining.

But after a while I HATED his need to use the media as a personal diary.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Although as a Canucks fan this is really disappointing to hear, the reality is that several of Bruce’s lineup decisions have frustrated even the most optimistic of us.

I was so happy for the changes & leading the Boudreau cheering section after he was hired.

However, as much as I’ve enjoyed his Press Conferences & Interviews with his ability to relate, I‘m coming to think a change is needed.

I have questions about Jim Rutherford & the direction this new management group has taken, but I just want a Team that I can cheer for again with some hope on the horizon.

Thank you for posting this interview @Marc the Habs Fan . Again, not easy to listen to, but appreciate the information.

Hopefully brighter days are ahead in the not too distant future.
Are you talking about the defence pairings? As D&D pointed out a few times in their show, does JR want Bruce to play his guy more?

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
So winning in the NHL is 100% about structure and talent has nothing to do with it?? :biglaugh::biglaugh::clap:
Rutherford is pointing to some of his Pittsburgh days where the Pens won a cup with next to nothing on D. They would get back on the puck quickly and get it into the NZ as quickly as possible.

That team had some loose puck recovery and possession demons that allowed that system to work... Kept the pressure off the d so if that's what he's referring to... not every team can play that way.

I do understand some of the criticism though. Trying to be too fancy, too cute, trying low percentage plays, not stopping on pucks, not paying the price to make a play.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Rutherford is pointing to some of his Pittsburgh days where the Pens won a cup with next to nothing on D. They would get back on the puck quickly and get it into the NZ as quickly as possible.

That team had some loose puck recovery and possession demons that allowed that system to work... Kept the pressure off the d so if that's what he's referring to... not every team can play that way.

I do understand some of the criticism though. Trying to be too fancy, too cute, trying low percentage plays, not stopping on pucks, not paying the price to make a play.
I dunno about next to nothing. Kris Letang was in his prime. Brian Dumoulin was quite good back then (boy does he ever stink now though). Maatta, Daley, and Cole were all pretty good back then too. Schultz also played the best hockey of his career for the Pens.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I dunno about next to nothing. Kris Letang was in his prime. Brian Dumoulin was quite good back then (boy does he ever stink now though). Maatta, Daley, and Cole were all pretty good back then too. Schultz also played the best hockey of his career for the Pens.
They won the Cup with Schultz (reclamation project), Dumoulin (not really established yet), Ian Cole, Trevor Daley (last legs), Ron Hainsey (never had legs) and Olli Maatta.

That was remarkable stuff and one of the reasons Rutherford thinks you can win with just anyone. I'm not telling you I agree with him... telling you what he's thinking.

im gangster

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Jesus, was JR boozing? Took too many edibles? Decided to one up Boston for front office stupid for old time rivalries sake?
I took too many edibles yesterday. I started getting so hyper aware of my sinuses that I had basically talked myself into having covid.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle

This is going to light the Vancouver market on fire. :eek3:

Audio of the interview here: Canucks Central

Taj is a 45 year old male living in his Uncle's basement.

Do not take his words seriously. The old saying "empty vessels often make the loudest noises" is applicable here.

Rutherford did *not* throw Boudreau under the bus. He mentioned that the team needs to play tighter and expressed concerns about how many leads we've blown, but all JR did was state facts.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
They won the Cup with Schultz (reclamation project), Dumoulin (not really established yet), Ian Cole, Trevor Daley (last legs), Ron Hainsey (never had legs) and Olli Maatta.

That was remarkable stuff and one of the reasons Rutherford thinks you can win with just anyone. I'm not telling you I agree with him... telling you what he's thinking.
Yeah I'll grant you the second one as Letang was hurt then. I think you're underrating Dumo though. He was quite good then.

Funny thing about JR doubling down on that though is it's a silly because the Pens got fairly lucky in some ways to win that second cup. Oh they played well no doubt, and the stars really delivered. But Washington imo outplayed them and Maf stole that series. And they had stretches of poor possession play against Ottawa and Nashville as well. They did play really well as a team but the Letang absence really really hurt their possession game. It was a much different cup than the year before where they pushed everyone's shit in possession-wise and just hounded the puck. They had to win a different way with the second team due to Letang's absence.

But I digress. I don't disagree that JR loves to put together questionable defenses. He's been known for that dating all the way back to his Carolina days.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Mike Sullivan is your next coach. He'll be fired soon in Pittsburgh and Vancouver uses that to fire Boudreau and brings him aboard, unless there is an interim in Vancouver.

I honestly think a coach should just flat out resign when a new management team comes in.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
He deserves to be thrown under the bus

this idiot's lineup decisions border on negligence.
Plus Vancouver is back to leading the league in odd-man rushes against.

Pearson lead the league for a majority of season in minors and never got scracthed
Stillman I can confidently say is one of the worst defenceman I have ever seen......Like Luca sbisa level of trash.
nobody in Vancouver can explain his lineup decisions

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Two things...

1) What does JR think the Owner is going to do? Aren't the Aquilini's going through a divorce? I think he's got other things on his mind...like whether they have to split their assets.

2) Considering the Barry Trotz stuff that has gone around, and his insistence that he will be more prepared to take on a Head Coach job after December.....I wonder if this is JR shooting a flare with a big "TROTZ PLEASE COME HERE AND SAVE US" message lighting up the sky.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Two things...

1) What does JR think the Owner is going to do? Aren't the Aquilini's going through a divorce? I think he's got other things on his mind...like whether they have to split their assets.

2) Considering the Barry Trotz stuff that has gone around, and his insistence that he will be more prepared to take on a Head Coach job after December.....I wonder if this is JR shooting a flare with a big "TROTZ PLEASE COME HERE AND SAVE US" message lighting up the sky.

He’s been divorced for like 10 years now.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
There’s many ways I want to take this interview, the first way, is I like the honesty at least, I will say, I find it kind of perplexing. Why the media does not follow up, and just directly ask him why he’s clearly targeting bruce, just to see what he says at least.

Secondly, the big issue right now with Jim, is that he has mentioned a lot of these things before, and he’s talking up this huge game about change, yet he basically brought back the same roster with a couple different players, re-signed basically everybody, and double downed on this core.

Everybody in the world knew that the Canucks defence needed significant improvement in the off-season, targeting a forward, no matter how well he has played, over a clear need at the defence makes a little sense.

Resigning JT Miller, who has had an up-and-down season, points wise, hes OK, defensively he needs to work on a few things.

But not trading him really hurt our capSpace, the versatility, and really hurt our need of improving the back end.

I can literally go on for hours on things we need to improve.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
But let’s not kid ourselves, honestly, this is 100% the owners, we all know it, no matter what we hear in the media, what we hear from Jim, from the GM, or from the coach, at the end of the day, as long as the owners absolutely refuse to do any sort of rebuild, the Canucks will continue to spin their tires for all of eternity.

Reactions: CanuckCity

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If JR is this upset he had no one to blame but himself for retaining BB vs going out and hiring a new HC that he wanted.

All he did was roll it back and still has the club at the cap ceiling and are way out of the PO after 12 games.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Old boys club ....JR aren't the only ones in it. Burke and Hextall are doubling down on Sullivan even though he lost 5 straight play off series followed up with a 7 game skid mark (and counting ) with a new extendmsion too boot. If JR is a Jack ass for keeping Sullivan .......Hextall is rhe dump the jack ass took upon leaving Steeltown ha !!

Some guys keep their jobs longer thst they should because they are buddies with the boss......nothing more
FSG is doubling down on Sullivan. Ownership loves Sullivan.

JR is a clown. His gm botched adding depth and somehow it's Boudreau's fault the team has a whack bottom 6 and defense depth.

So who's going to replace Bruce?
I wish it was Mike Sullivan so we can move forward.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
So winning in the NHL is 100% about structure and talent has nothing to do with it?? :biglaugh::biglaugh::clap:
It's funny how PA adds new wingers, rips away 2way types and Boudreau is f***ed trying to fit a scoring winger on a 4th line because now his top 9 has wingers he has to make work with new contracts. Hard to figure out a structure when your GM has no clue what the team's identity should be and stripped them of 2way depth that every team needs in their bottom 6 and roster.

Peak JR. The same moron that traded Hagelin with retained salary and then tried to get him back in the same season and didn't know you couldn't do that.

Wait until JR starts getting Patrik to trade away firsts. JR is also the clown responsible for signing Casey "I beat women in drunk rages" DeSmith.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad