Jim Rutherford goes on Vancouver radio, blasts team's structure and throws Boudreau under the bus several times

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Jim Rutherford had said at the end of last year that the club had a country club culture and that it needed to change. I think he is purposefully trying to make everyone uncomfortable.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Canadian ran franchises are so bad lmao. What an embarrassment to the sport.
Interesting take when 2 of the 3 most lucrative franchises in the NHL are Canadian. Craziest fans and media with the biggest fishbowls...i'll give that to you though.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Interesting take when 2 of the 3 most lucrative franchises in the NHL are Canadian. Craziest fans and media with the biggest fishbowls...i'll give that to you though.
And not a single cup winning franchise for 30 years. Pathetic.

• Haha
Reactions: Eegs

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Fired the idiot Benning almost a year ago and yet everything is still a dysfunctional mess in vancouver.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Like their fans, management fell for that standard new coach bump last season. So instead of improving on their atrocious blue line, they basically kept the status quo. They probably thought they would maintain that pace but now we know it was all smoke and mirrors.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I think the new regime is trying to out Benning Benning

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
During his time in Carolina, JR was infamous for sending messages through the media. Every summer he would casually comment that so-and-so could easily be replaced if he couldn't come to terms on the contract.

It's a very old school approach and in the era of social media, maybe even more powerful than it used to be. Now everyone kind of assumes that Boudreau's firing is a done deal already, so it becomes a self fulfilling situation.
Pretty sure JR got Jamie Oleksiak KO'd in Pitt as well after he called out Tom Wilson when the Caps bounced them in 2018

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
They need to spend more time on HF, they are doing nothing “quietly”

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
What's happening in Vancouver is bizarre IMO. When they hired Bruce they went something like 34-15-10 to end the season. I thought they'd be a sure-fire wildcard team this year. They're decent enough on paper, and Bruce is a top 10 coach in the league if you ask me.

Goaltending went from red hot to ice cold. Rutherford and Bordeau can bicker all they want but the defense is weak and if goaltending doesn't bail the team out there will lose a lot of games.If it gets red hot and covers up the defensive issues again they will post a lot of wins.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Rutherford is a moron plain and simple. Does nothing to fix the defence, then proceeds to complain about defence.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Like their fans, management fell for that standard new coach bump last season. So instead of improving on their atrocious blue line, they basically kept the status quo. They probably thought they would maintain that pace but now we know it was all smoke and mirrors.
Our goals allowed 5 on 5 was actually top 10 after bruce arrived. A lot of that had to do with brad shaw running our defense. Unfortunately torts stole him in philly and now we've got mike friggin yeo

im gangster

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
That's cause they never fixed the root of the problem. . . . . . which is the FANS.
i am not sure if this is a joke but you are one hundred percent correct

the morons that continue to show up at rogers arena just enable and encourage the child abusing owner

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Bring back Alain Vigneault. No shortage of "structure".

But seriously, this is pretty dysfunctional. I don't see any way this is remotely helpful to a team that is struggling mightily with confidence issues and fumbling away repeated leads even when they do play well. Putting it on the coach publicly is a really weird decision. Kind of lets the players off the hook. While also insinuating that they're playing too "loose", when mentally at least...it's clearly the complete opposite. They're clutching their sticks to an insane degree, playing "afraid to lose" and then doing just that.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I am just confused if management doesn't like a coach why not fire him? Why keep a lame duck coach who knows management hates him and thinks he is the problem. Bruce is going to keep collecting paychecks, but it seems like management is blaming the coach. So is it not on management the teams record when they are allowing a guy they think isn't doing a good job to run things?
Could have moved on from him in the off season but that run would have put JR and PA under the hot seat if their new HC had a similar record to BB right now.
But, you either have the guts to make that call or you don’t. And clearly they didn’t have the guts to do it.
Made the easy call to just run it back.

But that’s life with this club under aquilini. Never bold enough to make the hard tough call even though it’s probably the right call.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Bring back Alain Vigneault. No shortage of "structure".

But seriously, this is pretty dysfunctional. I don't see any way this is remotely helpful to a team that is struggling mightily with confidence issues and fumbling away repeated leads even when they do play well. Putting it on the coach publicly is a really weird decision. Kind of lets the players off the hook. While also insinuating that they're playing too "loose", when mentally at least...it's clearly the complete opposite. They're clutching their sticks to an insane degree, playing "afraid to lose" and then doing just that.

Alain Vigneault will throw this teams defense under the bus so fast he will chew a pack of gum a day.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Alain Vigneault will throw this teams defense under the bus so fast he will chew a pack of gum a day.

Idk. I feel like OEL would probably do well in an AV defensive system. Hughes would get the "Ehrhoff treatment" and be fine with a license to freelance a bit, but probably sheltered better.

The rest...well Myers sucks anyway. The rest of our guys are kind of grinders and the types that AV loved anyway. Rathbone would be screwed, but he's kinda screwed anyway.

I think it's actually our Centers that he'd skewer. They have a ton of responsibility in his system, and he'd immediately want to send JT Miller to the press box.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Idk. I feel like OEL would probably do well in an AV defensive system. Hughes would get the "Ehrhoff treatment" and be fine with a license to freelance a bit, but probably sheltered better.

The rest...well Myers sucks anyway. The rest of our guys are kind of grinders and the types that AV loved anyway. Rathbone would be screwed, but he's kinda screwed anyway.

I think it's actually our Centers that he'd skewer. They have a ton of responsibility in his system, and he'd immediately want to send JT Miller to the press box.

AV will make Riley Stillman his new Aaron Rome, god no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad