Prospect Info: Jets Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Lambert, Yager, Salomonsson, Barlow, Heinola, Freij and Chibrikov should get plenty of NHL games in their careers. Some could be difference makers.

Maybe Milic or DD can be the goalie of the future, maybe?

The rest, honestly, seem like long, long shots to even get some NHL games imo.

Last edited:

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Saw this on Illegalcurve.com earlier:

Will Scouch gives you his Jets prospect pyramid. He qualifies a prospect as a player within five years of draft eligibility and they haven’t been on an NHL roster for a season.

He’s got four tiers of prospects including the top tier which he labels as “franchise” which are players you “never move”. The next tier he labels “core” which he defines as “really good players who can play with franchise types” using Nicklas Backstrom (core) to Alex Ovechkin (franchise) as an example. The third tier he indicates is “depth” which “round out your roster” and lastly is the “maybe” category who “might have a lot of upside but have question marks”.

His rankings for the Jets:

Franchise: None

Core: Brad Lambert & Alfons Freij

Depth: Brayden Yager, Elias Salomonsson & Colby Barlow

Maybe: Daniel Torgersson, Thomas Milic, Kevin He, Kieron Walton, Dmitry Kuzmin, Chaz Lucius, Markus Loponen & Nikita Chibrikov

Everyone Else: Jacob Julien, Connor Levis, Garrett Brown, Danny Zhilkin, Fabrian Wagner, Tyrel Bauer, Domenic DiVincentiis & Zach Nehring

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

Will Scouch gives you his Jets prospect pyramid. He qualifies a prospect as a player within five years of draft eligibility and they haven’t been on an NHL roster for a season.

He’s got four tiers of prospects including the top tier which he labels as “franchise” which are players you “never move”. The next tier he labels “core” which he defines as “really good players who can play with franchise types” using Nicklas Backstrom (core) to Alex Ovechkin (franchise) as an example. The third tier he indicates is “depth” which “round out your roster” and lastly is the “maybe” category who “might have a lot of upside but have question marks”.

Maybe: Daniel Torgersson, Thomas Milic, Kevin He, Kieron Walton, Dmitry Kuzmin, Chaz Lucius, Markus Loponen & Nikita Chibrikov

Everyone Else: Jacob Julien, Connor Levis, Garrett Brown, Danny Zhilkin, Fabrian Wagner, Tyrel Bauer, Domenic DiVincentiis & Zach Nehring
I'd swap Fonsie and Salo; move Chib up a level; and swap Torgersson and Zhilkin. But not a bad list.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd swap Fonsie and Salo; move Chib up a level; and swap Torgersson and Zhilkin. But not a bad list.
I think Freij is a sneaky good pick for Chevy and will soon be seen at that level. I also think all of Salo Yager and Barlow move up as they develop and agree Salo already is there.

Reactions: Buffdog

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017

To be honest. I wouldn't call half these guys prospects. Kuzmin couldn't make my Rec team. Lucius and Chib should be way higher. Imho.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think Salmon starts with the Moose but by the time the season is ending, he will be on the Jets.

Reactions: Buffdog

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Pretty darn close to what I was thinking, though I think our "depth" guys will play many years for us and become what we consider "core" Jets, even if they are not stars.

Using his prospect categorization for our existing roster, would we have:

Franchise: Helle (likely our only franchise player, though Morrissey might be there as well)

Core: Scheifele, Morrissey, Connor, Lowry, Ehlers, Perfetti and Vilardi (expecting a breakout season from the two of them to cement their spot in "core" group)

Depth: DeMelo, Samberg, Nino,

Maybe (though very expendable): Apples, Pionk, Barron, Names, Iafallo, Gus, Kupari, Miller, Stanley

Likely generous with a few of the "core" forwards, but we only have one core dman which is a pretty big hole in the roster. Hopefully Freij and Salomonsson reach that level in the not-too-distant future.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I also think it's worth noting that Freij played almost exclusively on this off-side (right side) this past year and looks pretty comfortable on the right side. I'll be curious to see if the Jets leave him there when he eventually comes over or move him to the left side.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Pretty darn close to what I was thinking, though I think our "depth" guys will play many years for us and become what we consider "core" Jets, even if they are not stars.

Franchise: Helle (likely our only franchise player, though Morrissey might be there as well)

Core: Scheifele, Morrissey, Connor, Lowry, Ehlers, Perfetti and Vilardi (expecting a breakout season from the two of them to cement their spot in "core" group)

Maybe (though very expendable): Apples, Pionk, Barron, Names, Iafallo, Gus, Kupari, Miller, Stanley

Likely generous with a few of the "core" forwards, but we only have one core dman which is a pretty big hole in the roster. Hopefully Freij and Salomonsson reach that level in the not-too-distant future.

I would elevate both Scheifele and Morrissey to your franchise level. Like it or not, Scheif is the player the franchise has been built around. He has been our #1C for 9 years so far. For several of those years he ranked among the top 10 C's in the league.

Morrissey hasn't been in that category for nearly as long but there has been no doubt about it for at least the last 2 years, IMO.

I don't think you are being generous with the core level players. Just a little premature, as stated, with Perfetti and Vilardi.

Might not match Scouch's definitions but I think most of your maybe's belong in the depth category. I'd call Gus, Kupari and Stanley maybes because they haven't established themselves as everyday bottom of the roster players yet, and maybe never will. The rest are surely depth players.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingBogo

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

This is Winnipeg though, you can't throw darts at a map and say I want this player or that player to replace player X. Realistically De Melo is now a core player signed to the same contract expiration as Morrissey.

Realistically Appleton, Pionk, Samberg could be core players, as guys who have been here since the core shakeup of 2019. Players who like playing here. Maybe they are not the desired core, but part of a core is tenure. I could see all 3 re-signing here. And for every fan that thinks it's a bad idea there might be a teammate who is happy that they have guys to work with that know their role.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
This is Winnipeg though, you can't throw darts at a map and say I want this player or that player to replace player X. Realistically De Melo is now a core player signed to the same contract expiration as Morrissey.

Realistically Appleton, Pionk, Samberg could be core players, as guys who have been here since the core shakeup of 2019. Players who like playing here. Maybe they are not the desired core, but part of a core is tenure. I could see all 3 re-signing here. And for every fan that thinks it's a bad idea there might be a teammate who is happy that they have guys to work with that know their role.
Just going by Scouching’s definition. Franchise players you don’t move. Core players support them. He had Backstrom as “core” to OV’s “franchise”. I would consider Backstrom superior to Scheifele in terms of value to his team.

The only untouchables we would have would be Helle and possibly Morrissey. Everyone else is “core”, “depth” or “moveable” for me, and I would move or upgrade many of our support players without 2nd thought. That’s how young players integrate into the roster and hopefully improve the overall quality of the roster.

Reactions: Huffer

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Just going by Scouching’s definition. Franchise players you don’t move. Core players support them. He had Backstrom as “core” to OV’s “franchise”. I would consider Backstrom superior to Scheifele in terms of value to his team.

The only untouchables we would have would be Helle and possibly Morrissey. Everyone else is “core”, “depth” or “moveable” for me, and I would move or upgrade many of our support players without 2nd thought. That’s how young players integrate into the roster and hopefully improve the overall quality of the roster.
I think anybody who wants to play in Winnipeg long term is a core player. They made a choice that most wouldn't make. The Jets will never have a perfect core. But it's really hard for me to believe that the guy who could break Ducky's records isn't a franchise player. Imagine that Dale Hawerchuk wasn't a franchise player.

I think the Jets core of prospects starts with Perfetti rightfully as an under 24 player, followed by other 1st and 2nd rd picks, namely Lambert, Yager, Barlow; Salomonsson and Frej, two d-men who maybe cross paths within a year. Everybody after that to me is a maybe. Or a bust. Depending on development, health and will.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I think anybody who wants to play in Winnipeg long term is a core player. They made a choice that most wouldn't make. The Jets will never have a perfect core. But it's really hard for me to believe that the guy who could break Ducky's records isn't a franchise player. Imagine that Dale Hawerchuk wasn't a franchise player.

I think the Jets core of prospects starts with Perfetti rightfully as an under 24 player, followed by other 1st and 2nd rd picks, namely Lambert, Yager, Barlow; Salomonsson and Frej, two d-men who maybe cross paths within a year. Everybody after that to me is a maybe. Or a bust. Depending on development, health and will.
Then, my concern is TNSE including a guy like Pionk as a core guy, by your definition, just because he doesn’t mind playing in Winnipeg.

An upgrade is desperately needed in our top 4, and loyalty or “will play here” can’t be the only criteria in determining a core piece when icing a team.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Then, my concern is TNSE including a guy like Pionk as a core guy, by your definition, just because he doesn’t mind playing in Winnipeg.

An upgrade is desperately needed in our top 4, and loyalty or “will play here” can’t be the only criteria in determining a core piece when icing a team.
100%. Scouching has made the definition of the terms. "Will play in Winnipeg" isn't part of it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Full roster if that pic is too tiny :

No secret about who'll be handling the fisticuffs...

1725648218079.png

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Yup. But that defensive group is somewhat lacking to say the least.
Only 2 d-men signed to the club at camp. Wonder why Frej and Bauer didn't get the call?

Kind of makes you wonder if the Jets don't make a prospect trade this season to balance out the disparity. I suppose there's always a chance that an AHL contract can be promoted if warranted.
If Kuzmin is the best LD prospect on the farm he's going to have to make strides this season..

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Only 2 d-men signed to the club at camp. Wonder why Frej and Bauer didn't get the call?

Kind of makes you wonder if the Jets don't make a prospect trade this season to balance out the disparity. I suppose there's always a chance that an AHL contract can be promoted if warranted.
If Kuzmin is the best LD prospect on the farm he's going to have to make strides this season..
Freij is busy getting ready for his SHL season. Bauer has probably seen enough of these tourneys. Anhorn is a legit potential call-up candidate this season along with Fleury.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Freij is busy getting ready for his SHL season. Bauer has probably seen enough of these tourneys. Anhorn is a legit potential call-up candidate this season along with Fleury.
Anhorn is signed to Moose, so he'd need an NHL contract first. But I did notice he passed Kuzmin on the depth chart last year on a team that had Capobianco and Heinola on the left side.

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad