Prospect Info: Jets Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
My general rule is that it's best to trade players for picks at the TDL and trade picks for players at the draft. Draft picks tend to be undervalued at the TDL and overvalued around the draft.

A GM could probably do quite well by just trading non-core vets for picks at the TDL and then either drafting good prospects or flipping picks for good players at the draft.

I understand why GMs try to strengthen their teams at the TDL when they are in a competitive window, but most of those trades don't seem to make the difference expected. I much prefer lower-value trades for players that might offer more than rental value. The trades for Nino (2nd) and Namestnikov (4th) were great trades, in retrospect. The Monahan and Toffoli trades really didn't accomplish much and might have actually been a net negative when all is said and done. Giving up picks for those types is really questionable.
While i agree with you i also think adding at the deadline can help depending on what you are adding and giving up obviously.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015

Yep, down from 19th last season. General feeling seems to be decent depth but not much in the way of true high-end talent. Trading picks for rentals and a few misses in the 1st round starting to bite, maybe.

After using four first-round picks in a row on forwards, Winnipeg has a strong group of young forwards coming up. There are NHL players in this group who will help the team, but I do wonder where the high side is coming from. Some may say it could be from Cole Perfetti.

Key additions: N/A
Key graduates: N/A
2023 ranking: 19
2024 NHL Draft grade: C-

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/56...peg-jets-nhl-prospect-pipeline-rankings-2024/

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
Barlow skipping his Owen Sound training camp, hoping to make the pro jump -- maybe also looking for a trade to a contender?

The tumultuous season, mixed with the perception Owen Sound will be a youthful club with low expectations this year, have some wondering if Barlow is looking for a change of scenery in the OHL.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Barlow skipping his Owen Sound training camp, hoping to make the pro jump -- maybe also looking for a trade to a contender?

The tumultuous season, mixed with the perception Owen Sound will be a youthful club with low expectations this year, have some wondering if Barlow is looking for a change of scenery in the OHL.

I can understand Barlow's interest in getting into a better situation in the OHL. They've had a lot of turmoil in Owen Sound and it might not have been the best place for his development last year, and even worse this coming year. He's probably keen on trying to make the leap straight from the OHL to the NHL in 2025, and would like to have the best developmental year possible in the OHL. Being on a bottom-dweller until they decide to trade him to a contender can be very disruptive in a crucial development season. Probably better to be with a solid OHL team and system for the full season.

One other thought: I still have Barlow as a (very) dark horse for making the leap to the NHL as soon as this season. I know he hasn't looked like he has the quickness yet, but he's one of the more physically developed prospects and in his draft year there were some prospect pundits that thought he might be able to make the leap to the NHL soon.

I dug up some of the quotes from NHL scouts that were published in the "Black Book" based on his draft season...

1724946380344.png

Elite Prospects' draft guide summarized his comparables as a cross between Verhaeghe and a bear. :laugh:

I think Barlow was flying a bit below the radar among Jets' prospects with all of the attention on McGroarty, but I wonder if Barlow might end up being the better NHLer. He doesn't have McGroarty's hockey sense, but he's faster and wired to score.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

I think this should be spun as, Colby Barlow latest Jets prospect asking to be traded. :laugh:

Reactions: BoneDocUK

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I can understand Barlow's interest in getting into a better situation in the OHL. They've had a lot of turmoil in Owen Sound and it might not have been the best place for his development last year, and even worse this coming year. He's probably keen on trying to make the leap straight from the OHL to the NHL in 2025, and would like to have the best developmental year possible in the OHL. Being on a bottom-dweller until they decide to trade him to a contender can be very disruptive in a crucial development season. Probably better to be with a solid OHL team and system for the full season.

One other thought: I still have Barlow as a (very) dark horse for making the leap to the NHL as soon as this season. I know he hasn't looked like he has the quickness yet, but he's one of the more physically developed prospects and in his draft year there were some prospect pundits that thought he might be able to make the leap to the NHL soon.

I dug up some of the quotes from NHL scouts that were published in the "Black Book" based on his draft season...

View attachment 903826

Elite Prospects' draft guide summarized his comparables as a cross between Verhaeghe and a bear. :laugh:

I think Barlow was flying a bit below the radar among Jets' prospects with all of the attention on McGroarty, but I wonder if Barlow might end up being the better NHLer. He doesn't have McGroarty's hockey sense, but he's faster and wired to score.
My only takeaway from this is that he's better than Tkachuk! :sarcasm:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I can definitley see a player like Barlow looking to get moved to a contender. Seems like a common thing to move top players when their teams are looking to rebuild?

I agree with Whileee about him being more physically ready than a lot of other prospects, but I've seen some upcoming World Junior roster guesses and he's not listed on them by some of the pundits. Guessing he might still have things he could work on in the OHL.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I can definitley see a player like Barlow looking to get moved to a contender. Seems like a common thing to move top players when their teams are looking to rebuild?

I agree with Whileee about him being more physically ready than a lot of other prospects, but I've seen some upcoming World Junior roster guesses and he's not listed on them by some of the pundits. Guessing he might still have things he could work on in the OHL.
I'm sure the Jets are looking for him to work on getting those apple totals up. If he can get to 50 assists to go with 50 goals on a great team this season... that's where he probably needs to be to reasonable project him to be a top line player one day.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
I think Barlow has an extra hurdle to overcome that just isn't a factor for many prospects (see Perfetti, Cole), in that his build and beard suggest a grizzled vet who's easing into a retirement podcast rather than a fresh-faced youngster hoping to make the leap into the bigs.

Colby "Bluebeard" Barlow

Cole vs Col (poetic license taken)

1725373580059.png

1725373730412.png

• Haha
Reactions: lanky

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Uh, I'd say we rank closer to 16/17/18. No way we are actually 24th, lmao.
I agree. It's quite subjective, and I think a few of the Jets' prospects are underrated (e.g. Salomonsson and maybe Freij) or are de facto prospects that have crossed the eligibility threshold even though they are still "in the pipeline" (e.g. Heinola and Rashevsky).

The Jets are a "draft and develop" team but they've been a playoff contender for several seasons now and that depletes the prospect pool with lower picks and trading picks at the TDL. They did finish with 110 points last season and have picked in the top 10 only twice in the past 10 drafts, and the top 5 only once in 14 seasons.

I do think the Jets should stop trading 1st round picks for rentals. It's usually a bad strategy, especially for a pure rental.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Salomonsson has got to be the only RHD with size to ever get underrated in prospect rankings.
A lot of prospect pundits rely a lot on stats and international tourneys to assess drafted prospects. Salomonsson didn't get PP usage on his SHL team, but still produced at the equivalence of 0.5 points/game (at age 19), translating equivalency from SHL to AHL. His World Junior tourney was truncated by his suspension.

There's also a lot of "anchor" bias, based on draft ranking and placement. I think Salomonsson had a much stronger season overall than Reinbacher and is essentially the same age (just 2 months older), but pundits ranked Reinbacher as a top 10 and he was drafted #5, while Salomonsson was drafted at #55.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Regardless, we are seeing the affects of some poor drafting and trading away picks.
I'd say that we're seeing the effects of drafting in the second half of the first round and some unlikely breaks with Chaz's injuries

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'd say that we're seeing the effects of drafting in the second half of the first round and some unlikely breaks with Chaz's injuries
Agree. The Chaz Lucius injuries really put a hole in the prospect pipeline. If he gets and stays healthy, he'll be another good prospect (probably top 5 or so among the Jets' prospects).

Reactions: Buffdog

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Looks like Chibrikov represented the Jets at the NHL rookie showcase earlier, kind of surprised he got the nod over Lambert.

Maybe Brad wasn't available or already attended past ones, not too sure. Anyway it shows that the org has Chibrikov pretty high up on the organizational depth chart, I bet he gets more NHL games this year.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Looks like Chibrikov represented the Jets at the NHL rookie showcase earlier, kind of surprised he got the nod over Lambert.

Maybe Brad wasn't available or already attended past ones, not too sure. Anyway it shows that the org has Chibrikov pretty high up on the organizational depth chart, I bet he gets more NHL games this year.

Chibrikov also had to translate for Michkov.

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad