Prospect Info: Jets Prospects

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
BTW does anyone find it absolutely hilarious in a sad way at two years ago on draft day Lambert was catching strays (esp by the Finnish contingent and the media in general) for having "character issues" while McGroarty was being anointed as the next captain? Lambert has since then spend a chunk of season in the AHL, then played in the WHL, then spent an entire season in the AHL producing good results everywhere being ever the good soldier. How the turn tables... shows how little scouts, media, fans know when certain players are hyped for "character" as 17-18 year olds.
Lambert's father was the one causing most of the mess that was the two years prior to his draft. He was the one pulling the strings on Brad switching teams twice as an underage teen to maximise his ice time in Liiga - burning bridges along the way. Further, there are reports out there that the father (who also was the coach of Brad's junior teams) went so far as to strong-arm other junior coaches to reschedule their matches to support Brad's development as much as possible. It was a total shitshow from the start, put simply.

Combine all this with a relatively pedestrian draft year and massive expectations caused by all the media circus around him, and you had a lot of people worried about what was to come with his NHL development. Most people in Finland knew the real issue, so I'd disagree with you on that.

Lambert's been more than fine thus far, and I'd imagine that someone has had to tell the father to stop f***ing around and to let Brad have a career of his own. But if the Jets slow-cook Lambert in the AHL like they've done with so many prospects before, and the shot at a regular role doesn't seem to come, you've got to wonder whether we get to deal with the father once again. Winnipeg's tarnished reputation in Finland won't help, that's for sure.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Lambert's father was the one causing most of the mess that was the two years prior to his draft. He was the one pulling the strings on Brad switching teams twice as an underage teen to maximise his ice time in Liiga - burning bridges along the way. Further, there are reports out there that the father (who also was the coach of Brad's junior teams) went so far as to strong-arm other junior coaches to reschedule their matches to support Brad's development as much as possible. It was a total shitshow from the start, put simply.

Combine all this with a relatively pedestrian draft year and massive expectations caused by all the media circus around him, and you had a lot of people worried about what was to come with his NHL development. Most people in Finland knew the real issue, so I'd disagree with you on that.

Lambert's been more than fine thus far, and I'd imagine that someone has had to tell the father to stop f***ing around and to let Brad have a career of his own. But if the Jets slow-cook Lambert in the AHL like they've done with so many prospects before, and the shot at a regular role doesn't seem to come, you've got to wonder whether we get to deal with the father once again. Winnipeg's tarnished reputation in Finland won't help, that's for sure.
Agree with what you have said here - excited to see an opportunity for a role this year to see what the kid can do for the Jets!!

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Sorry for quoting this post but it's a good synopsis of how improved the Jets are in terms of prospects in 3 years, and the failures the Jets have had in development, with only 4 players in that prospect list having graduated in the past 3 seasons: Perfetti, Samberg, Gustasson and Stanley.

If I were rating this year's prospect pool it would be

1. Lambert (AHL, 2022 Rd. 1)
2. Mc Groarty (NCAA, 2022 Rd 1)
3. Barlow (OHL, 2023 Rd 1)
4. Heinola (NHL/AHL,2020 Rd 1)
5. Salomonsson (AHL, 2022 Rd 2)
6. Chibrikov (AHL, 2021 Rd 2)
7. Frej (Swe. Jr, 2024 Rd 2)
8. Lucius (AHL, 2021 Rd 1)
9. Milic (AHL, 2023 Rd 5)
10. Lundmark (AHL, 2020 Rd 2)
11. Ford (AHL, Undrafted)
12. Julien (OHL/AHL, 2023 Rd 5)
13. He (OHL, 2024 Rd 4)
Then some order of the AHL prospects and recent picks.

I think as a whole the Jets have better prospects to work with than they did 3 years ago. And our HF voters have shown a bias for offensive defensemen in their voting.
thoughts on dmitry rashevsky? clearly guy can score in KHL, but not sure if he has a future here.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
...just thought I'd put this out there... would it be a big shock if Barlow made the Jets this season? Some scouts said he was almost NHL-ready coming out of his draft season.

He had some injuries last year, but he has NHL size and skating. He's scored 86 goals in his last 109 OHL games. I'm not sure how much more he'll develop going back for a 4th full OHL season.

I think he could manage 3rd line minutes and could juice the 2nd PP.

I wonder a bit if the Jets' handling of McGroarty and willingness to trade him is somewhat related to their assessment of Barlow.

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
...just thought I'd put this out there... would it be a big shock if Barlow made the Jets this season? Some scouts said he was almost NHL-ready coming out of his draft season.

He had some injuries last year, but he has NHL size and skating. He's scored 86 goals in his last 109 OHL games. I'm not sure how much more he'll develop going back for a 4th full OHL season.

I wonder a bit if the Jets' handling of McGroarty and willingness to trade him is somewhat related to their assessment of Barlow.
Sounded like he needed some more work based on his moose stint, but these guys always seem to come to camp having made huge strides in their game over the summer so you never know

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Sounded like he needed some more work based on his moose stint, but these guys always seem to come to camp having made huge strides in their game over the summer so you never know
I think injuries kept him from hitting his stride last season, and it's a big step up from junior to a late-season AHL pace.

I think that if he's healthy and has a strong summer of skating, he has a chance of taking advantage of a training camp to fight for a job. It really depends on what the Jets do with their roster. If they keep Ehlers and Iafallo, then there isn't much room on the roster for another winger. But if they trade one or both of them to strengthen the D, there might be an opening. He seems like the type that might be able to make the jump in his D+2 season.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

He wasn’t great on the Moose, but still went point per game in a short stint. I wonder how he would do at the AHL level this year, even though he’s not eligible.

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He wasn’t great on the Moose, but still went point per game in a short stint. I wonder how he would do at the AHL level this year, even though he’s not eligible.
NHL or bust. I'm not sure he'll gain much at the OHL level for a 4th season, but might not be any other options.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

I would be shocked if he was near making the Jets. I haven't watched many games of his but in the ones I did and the clips I have seen including all his points, he doesn't seem NHL ready. He needs another year in the OHL and then and likely another year in the AHL.

He has a lot to do in the OHL... for example he has yet to be the leading point producer on his team and the one carrying his team... goalscoring is just one aspect of being an NHL player, without supplementary skills NHL teams are gonna be able to shut it down.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I would be shocked if he was near making the Jets. I haven't watched many games of his but in the ones I did and the clips I have seen including all his points, he doesn't seem NHL ready. He needs another year in the OHL and then and likely another year in the AHL.

He has a lot to do in the OHL... for example he has yet to be the leading point producer on his team and the one carrying his team... goalscoring is just one aspect of being an NHL player, without supplementary skills NHL teams are gonna be able to shut it down.
Last season I think injuries really curtailed his play.

He actually led his OHL team in scoring by a fairly wide margin as a 17-year old in his draft season.

So I think the main question is how much his injuries held him back last season. He certainly seemed to have a lot more jump and effectiveness later in the season.

I hope he has a strong summer in training and has a big training camp.

Reactions: Buffdog

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I like Barlow and by the time he is ready we will need a pure goal scoring winger. He is physically mature but there is no rush right now. I think the best place for him would be the Moose but I don’t believe he’s old enough.

Mostly I am hoping he stays healthy.

Between Lucius’s chronic injuries that may cut his career short, and Rutger’s heel turn out prospect pool has taken a sizeable hit.

Reactions: Buffdog

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I like Barlow and by the time he is ready we will need a pure goal scoring winger. He is physically mature but there is no rush right now. I think the best place for him would be the Moose but I don’t believe he’s old enough.

Mostly I am hoping he stays healthy.

Between Lucius’s chronic injuries that may cut his career short, and Rutger’s heel turn out prospect pool has taken a sizeable hit.
We should send him to the Swedish Elite League.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Barlow is OHL or NHL. I strongly expect OHL, but won't be shocked if he unexpectedly breaks through (especially if the Jets trade Ehlers and maybe another F). I don't think he'll gain much from the OHL, but it gives him another year to get stronger and maybe faster. Players can take big strides in one season and summer.

Lucius oozes talent, but his injuries have put his career in serious jeopardy. He needs to be healthy next season or I think he'll fade out.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
It’s an interesting thought, the CHL is a good league but Colby has been there a while now.
I think in most cases, it benefits a prospect to be dominant at a level. In fact, i think that Lambert lighting up the WHL for half a season was a huge part of his development. Barlow could be poised to have a monster year in the OHL

The only downside is a player being so good at the junior level that they develop bad habits that need to get coached put of them at the pro level

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think in most cases, it benefits a prospect to be dominant at a level. In fact, i think that Lambert lighting up the WHL for half a season was a huge part of his development. Barlow could be poised to have a monster year in the OHL

The only downside is a player being so good at the junior level that they develop bad habits that need to get coached put of them at the pro level
My concern about Barlow is that he'll be heading into his 4th OHL season. I'm not sure how much more he'll gain there. He's been his OHL team's top goal scorer in 3 straight seasons and was their top point producer (by a long way) two seasons ago. I think injuries held him back last season.

We'll get a better read of his readiness in camp. My main point is that I won't be shocked if he makes the jump to the NHL if the Jets have some space on the roster for a winger.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
My concern about Barlow is that he'll be heading into his 4th OHL season. I'm not sure how much more he'll gain there. He's been his OHL team's top goal scorer in 3 straight seasons and was their top point producer (by a long way) two seasons ago. I think injuries held him back last season.

We'll get a better read of his readiness in camp. My main point is that I won't be shocked if he makes the jump to the NHL if the Jets have some space on the roster for a winger.
Yeah, there should almost be a rule that lets a guy like that graduate to the AHL

Looks like the top 3 scorers on his team last were all 2003s so they've aged out. That team could be pretty bad next year (although I don't follow closely enough to know for sure)

If that's the case, you'd think he'd maybe be dealt to a contender and get a good playoff run. There could be some value in that

Jets have only graduated Schief and Ehlers straight from juniors that I can recall. Ehlers was a no-brainer (2pts/g in the Q) and schief was at a different stage for the franchise.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I am not sure if he’s ready, or we need him yet……. but…..I would like to be a fly on the wall at Camp McGroarty back in Michigan if/when that news drops.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah, there should almost be a rule that lets a guy like that graduate to the AHL

Looks like the top 3 scorers on his team last were all 2003s so they've aged out. That team could be pretty bad next year (although I don't follow closely enough to know for sure)

If that's the case, you'd think he'd maybe be dealt to a contender and get a good playoff run. There could be some value in that

Jets have only graduated Schief and Ehlers straight from juniors that I can recall. Ehlers was a no-brainer (2pts/g in the Q) and schief was at a different stage for the franchise.

Even with Ehlers, I don't think he was NHL ready. He was too good for the Q though. The Jets were not PO bound anyway. So they brought him up and sheltered him that first year. If we had the same situation today, I don't think he would be brought up to the NHL.

I like the suggestion of sending some of these guys to a Euro league for a year. Better for their development than another year of CHL.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Even with Ehlers, I don't think he was NHL ready. He was too good for the Q though. The Jets were not PO bound anyway. So they brought him up and sheltered him that first year. If we had the same situation today, I don't think he would be brought up to the NHL.

I like the suggestion of sending some of these guys to a Euro league for a year. Better for their development than another year of CHL.

Ehlers was a weird year.

He played a lot with Scheifele and Perreault and played very well iirc, then production slowed so got rookied while other struggling players stayed in their positions, then after Ladd was traded and Little got hurt they put together Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler and they dominated.

Kind of like Perfetti but injuries and trades let him step back in to a role he should be in while Bowness doubled down and called up an AHLer to play above him.

He also absolutely deserved to be on the team though. Just like Laine did, just like Connor did even before his 4 game AHL stint that turned him from a cut into 30 goal scorer.

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad