Prospect Info: Jets Prospects at the '22 World Junior Hockey Championship

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Its only game 1 though and he's tied for the tournament lead in scoring I believe. Why don't we wait until its done before passing judgement. People place way too much stock in the small sample nature of this tournament, his dominance over a larger period of games in the AHL is more indicative of where he's at imo.
Brayden Schenn, Jesse Puljujärvi and Cody Hodgson are three of the top scorers in recent WJC history. So yeah, while it's definitely fun to watch and overreact to this tournament, it's not exactly a perfect indicator of future play.:laugh:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Perfetti's passing and hands on full display tonight, as one would expect.

Will be honest though, was hoping to see more progress in terms of his speed and explosiveness however, he still seems to struggle hanging onto the puck and creating any gap through the neutral zone and I'm not sure I would have really noticed him out there at 5v5 if he wasn't a Jets prospect (assist aside).
He made that brilliant pass on 3rd goal es

Reactions: thai jet

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Will be honest though, was hoping to see more progress in terms of his speed and explosiveness however, he still seems to struggle hanging onto the puck and creating any gap through the neutral zone
and I'm not sure I would have really noticed him out there at 5v5 if he wasn't a Jets prospect (assist aside).

Interesting, I saw the opposite out there. He gained the offensive zone quite easily imo. I mean he created two, two on ones with his play through the nz. The only issue was he was trying to be too unselfish with regards to trying to get Bedard a goal instead of shooting when it was the best play.

Also if you are expecting him to blitz guys wide that has never been his game. His game is based on deception and making the puck do the work. He transitions predominantly through passing and then opening up for the return feed.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I think they just value things like IQ more. Where they were picking in each of those drafts I would rather they go for smarts and skill then for speed and low skill/IQ which is what was available at each pick.

Absolutely, but I think it's a lot harder than most think to fix skating flaws. I think players that can dictate the pace that the game is played are so few that poor skating tends to be the difference between a passenger/complementary player and someone who actively drives play.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Absolutely, but I think it's a lot harder than most think to fix skating flaws. I think players that can dictate the pace that the game is played are so few that poor skating tends to be the difference between a passenger/complementary player and someone who actively drives play.

Sure, but everyone now goes for elite speed and skill so those players almost always go top 3 to 5 in the draft these days. The Jets have predominantly been drafting in the late teens to mid 20's the last number of years where chances are you don't get those players. I think teams learned their lessons in 2015 where Conner and Barzal fell to the late teens. I don't think I have seen a similar player fall since then.

I mean I don't see any skating issues in Ville's game at all. He is a very good all around skater and I still have no idea why he ever got labeled as a bad skater.

Cole lacked top speed and explosiveness. Both of which he's worked hard on and has made big strides in. I have seen more then enough AHL games where he has dictated and dominated the play to not be at all worried about his foot speed. I expect that like Mark he will continue to make strides in his skating over the next few years and it will not be at all an issue. Imo Cole has top 3 draft skill and top of the draft IQ and he's willing to work hard on his game. I think its a no brainer pick at 10th overall as imo he has star potential and you don't often get that at 10.

Lucious I have far more concerns for. His skating is just ugly and imo he doesn't have the same level of top skill to compensate. As mentioned I would have gone in a different way. I liked Borgoult, Dean, Lambos, and Chibrikov (Doesn't matter for him as we got him later) better at that spot.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Sure, but everyone now goes for elite speed and skill so those players almost always go top 3 to 5 in the draft these days. The Jets have predominantly been drafting in the late teens to mid 20's the last number of years where chances are you don't get those players. I think teams learned their lessons in 2015 where Conner and Barzal fell to the late teens. I don't think I have seen a similar player fall since then.

I mean I don't see any skating issues in Ville's game at all. He is a very good all around skater and I still have no idea why he ever got labeled as a bad skater.

Cole lacked top speed and explosiveness. Both of which he's worked hard on and has made big strides in. I have seen more then enough AHL games where he has dictated and dominated the play to not be at all worried about his foot speed. I expect that like Mark he will continue to make strides in his skating over the next few years and it will not be at all an issue. Imo Cole has top 3 draft skill and top of the draft IQ and he's willing to work hard on his game. I think its a no brainer pick at 10th overall as imo he has star potential and you don't often get that at 10.

Lucious I have far more concerns for. His skating is just ugly and imo he doesn't have the same level of top skill to compensate. As mentioned I would have gone in a different way. I liked Borgoult, Dean, Lambos, and Chibrikov (Doesn't matter for him as we got him later) better at that spot.
2015 was an amazing draft don’t forget chabot was right after Barzal and Connor.

Reactions: surixon

None

Feb 22, 2012

To be clear I'm not against the picks themselves, just pointing out that it seems to be an area the Jets seem more willing to accept some flaws. There's a lot of terrible skaters in the NHL but I'd guess they're becoming fewer and fewer.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
2015 was an amazing draft don’t forget chabot was right after Barzal and Connor.

Yeah it was also right at the inflection point of the paradigm shift. Since then Speed and skill has been the premier quality looked for at the draft. The Jets were a bit of a first mover there with Ehlers and Conner.

So now the Jets are trying to look for other ways to get impact players as they aren't as positioned to get those players. I think that is why they are now targeting skill and IQ and working with the players to get their skating improved on.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I'm surprised those penalties got evened up in the USA-Slovakia game. Slaggert was crosschecked in the back of the head while he was falling over in the Slovakia crease.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
To be clear I'm not against the picks themselves, just pointing out that it seems to be an area the Jets seem more willing to accept some flaws. There's a lot of terrible skaters in the NHL but I'd guess they're becoming fewer and fewer.

I think if the Jets have the option to draft a highly skilled quick player that they really like they will make the pick in a heart beat. As mentioned I think that in the absence of having access to those elite skating players they are trying to draft as much skill as they can and hope they can correct the players flaws.

Reactions: LowLefty

None

Feb 22, 2012
This Team USA has that feeling of a group that's worse than the sum of their parts for no discernible reason.

Watch them win gold :laugh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Brayden Schenn, Jesse Puljujärvi and Cody Hodgson are three of the top scorers in recent WJC history. So yeah, while it's definitely fun to watch and overreact to this tournament, it's not exactly a perfect indicator of future play.:laugh:

Yup, Lafrenier shot the shit out of this tournament a few years ago and well it hasn't really helped him at the NHL level as of yet.

I am looking forward to seeing how Cole's game builds through out the tournament. I expect he will get better as the tournament progresses, especially if his center turns a corner and isn't a drag on the line.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
As an aside, I absolutely love Bedard's game. He reminds me a heck of a lot of my favorite player of all time in Karyia. Explosive skater with a wicked wrist and snap shot. He also has some real nice hands and uses his edges and puck control to create space ala Kariya more so then pure dangling. I would love to get him somehow.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016

Will be honest though, was hoping to see more progress in terms of his speed and explosiveness however, he still seems to struggle hanging onto the puck and creating any gap through the neutral zone and I'm not sure I would have really noticed him out there at 5v5 if he wasn't a Jets prospect (assist aside).

His speed is night and day vs last year.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Yup, Lafrenier shot the shit out of this tournament a few years ago and well it hasn't really helped him at the NHL level as of yet.

I am looking forward to seeing how Cole's game builds through out the tournament. I expect he will get better as the tournament progresses, especially if his center turns a corner and isn't a drag on the line.
Rangers don’t seem to develop forwards very well

Reactions: snowkiddin

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Also hard to believe that Power won’t win at least one Norris. Best defenseman I think I’ve seen at this age.

:laugh: Turns pro right after this tournament and wins it in the rump of this season already.

6'6, 215 and with that kind of speed and skill. SMH
Assuming they can sign him, it kind of makes up for losing out on McD.

JetFan4Ever

May 23, 2010
I think they just value things like IQ more. Where they were picking in each of those drafts I would rather they go for smarts and skill then for speed and low skill/IQ which is what was available at each pick. Who drafted immediately after each was a highly skilled burner? The only one I can think of behind Cole was Jarvis. No one really comes to mind behind Lucious and Tomasiano behind Ville. There has to be an elite skating highly skilled guy on the board. The Jets are more then happy to draft those guys when they are available like with Conner and Ehlers.

But having said that I was lukewarm on the Lucious pick at best and would have rather gone in a different direction there myself.
Many have said, and I agree, you can teach a player to be a better skater or at least teach them how to play within their game, you can't make them smarter!

Reactions: kellhunter

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013

Same. I thought he was fantastic yesterday. He is almost always in the right place, and the puck just seems to find him without much effort on his part. Very fun to watch.

The coach trusts him to play on a line with two undrafted players. That says a lot to me.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

He's not a bad skater and I don't think anyone is labeling him as such -
The concern, if there is one, would be his speed and quickness -

Not every player has that skill - and he has others skills that will help him make the leap into the NHL -
Very smart and a great passer are the two that stand out for me.
But if you have speed (and not necessarily elite speed), you will have an easier time in the pro's.

He'll need to be paired up with players that are faster than he is - that will help open up some space for him to play his game.
You don't necessarily need to be fast if you can make plays quickly and have line mates that can find space.
That'll be key for this player because he has the head to make other players better.

I thought he looked very good in yesterday's game - but his wheels are an obvious area that he could work on

Edit: I just realized you were referring to Ville - my bad - ignore this response

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He's not a bad skater and I don't think anyone is labeling him as such -
The concern, if there is one, would be his speed and quickness -

Not every player has that skill - and he has others skills that will help him make the leap into the NHL -
Very smart and a great passer are the two that stand out for me.
But if you have speed (and not necessarily elite speed), you will have an easier time in the pro's.

He'll need to be paired up with players that are faster than he is - that will help open up some space for him to play his game.
You don't necessarily need to be fast if you can make plays quickly and have line mates that can find space.
That'll be key for this player because he has the head to make other players better.

I thought he looked very good in yesterday's game - but his wheels are an obvious area that he could work on

Edit: I just realized you were referring to Ville - my bad - ignore this response

No issue, I get what you are saying with Cole and we have those players in Ehlers and Conner that can push things back for Cole. I also think his skating is tracking similarly to how Mark's looked at the same age. So it's not out of the realm of possibility given how he's working on it to get to Scheifele's level over time.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Same. I thought he was fantastic yesterday. He is almost always in the right place, and the puck just seems to find him without much effort on his part. Very fun to watch.

The coach trusts him to play on a line with two undrafted players. That says a lot to me.

Perfetti reminds me a little bit of Joe Sakic. He’s got that innate ability to be in the right place at the right time and while he may not be the flashiest player out there, at the end of the night he’s one of the most productive.

Now this is not to say he’s going to have a comparable career to Sakic, but like Perfetti, Sakic was never the fastest guy on the ice, but he was smart and he could make things happen whether it was with his unreal wrister or snap shot or threading the needle to a teammate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad