GDT: Jets @ Philadelphia Thursday February 8th at 6pm

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Why not call up Heinola. Cuz pionk Stanley or Schmidt Stanley isn’t good.
Toni or someone else would have to be waived.

The coaches will have 3 games now to look at Sammy as a 2LHD.
This might have an influence into the decision on whether to keep Dillon or not.

Reactions: hn777 and Ponds

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Definitly a result of a shorthanded bench.

But the fact that Philly showed interest earlier in the season leads me to believe he will also be on full display in hopes of a potential trade in the future.

With the addition of Monahan however, maybe that ship has already sailed.

For now, Stanley remains a Boat Anchor on the backend...

But a man can dream. A man can dream...
I don't think he's a boat anchor - more of a 7/8 dman who plays very little but needs to be ready when the time comes.
And if he is a boat anchor, why would Philly be interested?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

But the fact that Philly showed interest earlier in the season leads me to believe he will also be on full display in hopes of a potential trade in the future.

Philly just trolling to get the Jets to play Stanley. :naughty:

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
So the Baron accidentally switched homonyms and wrote: "Stanley in will be hard to bare"

I was going to ignore it but after I saw the usual sexist Plain Jane stuff I replied with: "I'm sure Stanley won’t be thrilled to be bare either, hard or not."

And then Thin Ice replies with a need to vomit.

So it got me thinking. I've never heard a woman react to another woman's naked body with revulsion. Never. Sure, you hear jealousy, snide comments, indifference, sarcasm, etc. but I've never heard any woman say another woman's body makes her want to vomit. Yet so many guys react to the image or thought or suggestion of being next to a naked man as something horrible to be avoided. I wonder why. I realize it's not as interesting as the fellatio jokes and other innuendo in today's thread, but it still makes you think.
Well I wear a blindfold in the shower so as not to see myself naked and we have no mirrors in our home.:D

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018

Dug this up, eerily similar narrative surrounding the powerplay last year almost exactly to the day. Only difference being that the Jets PP had a bit of success to start the campaign in 22/23.

But there's more.

I finally got around to reading Teemu Selanne's book during the break. Two things stuck out towards the end. First thing was the reaffirmation that Bruce Boudreau has never been my cup of tea. The second was Teemu's view on what makes a great powerplay.

From page 263 "Powerplay is not science, it is an art. You trust your instincts, rely on your creativity."

If the Jets powerplay is comparable to a work of art, right now it's resembling a Banksy going through a shredder.

What was news to me was, during the last few seasons of his career, Teemu was at odds with Bruce regarding his playing time. Especially on PP1. He really emphasized his dissatisfaction not getting more minutes there. Keep in mind, even over the ripe old age of 40 Teemu could still produce. In his final NHL season, which he did not enjoy, he also played in his final Olympic tournament. He scored 4 goals and 2 assists for 6 points in 6 games and was named tournament MVP. He was no slouch fading away into the sunset. His frustration outlined in the book seemed warranted. (Despite my slight bias as I adore the fella)

What I didn't intend on figuring out was that during his tumultuous end of an NHL career in Anaheim, a certain someone was the assistant coach for the Ducks.

Brad Lauer.

Teemu never mentions him by name, as most of his anger was directed at Bruce, but I found this page interesting... (referenced above)

View attachment 816223
255 powerplay goals, I'll consider his opinion. I'm not sure I've even scored that many times with my lovely wife.

then there's this...

View attachment 816225

View attachment 816161

and then there's this...

It seems like powerplay mediocrity follows this guy wherever he goes. What makes his stint Tampa even more damning is that after being dismissed by the Lightning in 2018, they went to 3 straight Stanley Cup finals starting the next season. Winning 2. Unfortunately Rick Bowness was also let go with him.

All of this might just be a coincidence, but where there's smoke, there's a Peter Tosh album. And where there's a shite powerplay, there's Brad Lauer. I'd like nothing more than the PP to start clicking and for this post to seem like the paranoid delusions of an armchair analyst. I prefer optimism, but all signs point to this trend continuing. My assumption is it was Rick Bowness who brought Lauer in to work with him again in Winnipeg. This is where you have to start wondering if the Jets organization will rue their commitment to loyalty.

With credit to Bones, I think his system suits the Jets, when the players are buying into it. A defense first approach, with a goalie like Helle on his game, is made for playoff hockey success. Like another poster pointed out recently, just because it's a defensive style doesn't mean the Jets can't generate offensive opportunities from it. Having the best 5v5 team in the league can't be understated. Putting aside Coach Rick's flaws, he's squeezed some impressive hockey out of this group, thus far.

Despite this, someone in the Jets org needs to determine what's going on with the special teams and make a tough call, soon. If it were up to me, Brad Lauer has to go. Like it or not, pro sports is now a business and it's ethos is what have you done for me lately? Look at how long Charlie Huddy was kept around. Inexcusable. Loyalty should be granted off results.

This is wishful thinking on my part and highly unlikely, but get Teemu Selanne in to coach the powerplay. If not, someone who shares his sentiments on how to make one work.

As for tomorrow, beat Philly. Don't lose 5 in a row. Let's get the feel good factor back.

Maybe even score on the man advantage.

Post of the year candidate by @Ponds.

Pretty damning when a guy like Teemu is critical. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a negative quote from him about anything.

The coaching fraternity seems a bit like an old boys club, which could explain why Lauer keeps getting rehired. Time for some new young assistant coaching blood. Must be some sharp young minds in the minors ready for the next step. Can’t be worse.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
So the Baron accidentally switched homonyms and wrote: "Stanley in will be hard to bare"

I was going to ignore it but after I saw the usual sexist Plain Jane stuff I replied with: "I'm sure Stanley won’t be thrilled to be bare either, hard or not."

And then Thin Ice replies with a need to vomit.

So it got me thinking. I've never heard a woman react to another woman's naked body with revulsion. Never. Sure, you hear jealousy, snide comments, indifference, sarcasm, etc. but I've never heard any woman say another woman's body makes her want to vomit. Yet so many guys react to the image or thought or suggestion of being next to a naked man as something horrible to be avoided. I wonder why. I realize it's not as interesting as the fellatio jokes and other innuendo in today's thread, but it still makes you think.
Are you familiar with kids in the hall? Like the red haired 'that's a fact' girl sketches?

Watch Stan get pp2 time

Reactions: thereturn and Ponds

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I propose this for our forum GDT good luck charm going forward...

Beige Square.jpg

I call it "Lucky Beige Square." With it we are invincible.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed on the optics of the hit, but I have told that the injury no way impacts suspension and or length, has anyone else had this related to you.

Even without the helmet flying off it was pretty bad. Shoulder to jaw. And the difficulty Dillon would have had turning away doesn't matter much either. Just like players are responsible for accidental high sticks - because you are responsible for your stick - players are also responsible for where their shoulders are.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I dunno, I'm seeing a lot of posts that he shouldn't have got anything.
In my former life of work, precedent is everything. Given what DOPS has handed out in the past for similar hits, stare decisis would call for a 1 game suspension or fine. As someone pointed out though, a one game suspension would have Dillon back in for Saturday's rematch and the NHL like to prevent those happening where possible.

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Someone check to see if Peluso ever kicked his ass
I miss Peluso. Given that I watch the Jets to be entertained I have to say he's the fellow who offered the most entertainment for my entertainment dollar.

I like to type 'entertainment'.

m.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
I propose this for our forum GDT good luck charm going forward...

View attachment 816510

I call it "Lucky Beige Square." With it we are invincible.
If you were a consultant you'd get $500,000 from a Fortune 500 company for that. Just show it to the Board of Directors and call it "The Beige Rectangle of Quality". You know, to inspire the workers. "Special Incentive in lieu of Salary".

m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad