Post-Game Talk: Jets jacked up on Ice Caps... finish season with 5-3 W in Cowtown

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Difficult result for us, but very hard to not come away smiling after a win. There's no way we can rely on Toronto and Vancouver to pick up points, the way they're playing. Our only hopes are Reimer and Luck....and luck.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Did you find a link, or is this from the GDT discussion? If the only things we did next year were: resolve / improve the goalie situation, bring back Burmi to bolster the top 9, and find a #3/4D to mix in with Enstrom, Trouba and Bogo, I think we'll be sitting in a very reasonable place. :nod:

It was a sidebar in the Free Press this morning.

"Ø"Ø BACK TO BURMI:

If Maurice is hired full-time by the Jets, he could play a role in the return of prodigal son Alex Burmistrov.

The talented but disgruntled Burmistrov fled the NHL last summer and signed a two-year deal in the KHL negotiated by his father. Cheveldayoff tried to negotiate a deal with Burmistrov, a restricted free agent, but a poor relationship with then coach Claude Noel along with a gap in salary expectations got in the way of a deal. Maurice coached in the KHL and seems to have a heightened understanding of Russian players.

Burmistrov has parted ways with agent Mark Gandler and is now working with Mike Liut. Liut told the Free Press on Friday there is a possibility of getting Burmistrov out of his KHL contract and he's open to a discussion with Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff about the player's future. A side note, Liut also represents Jets goalie Michael Hutchinson, who will be a restricted free agent.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
cormier should play 4th line next year. awesome in face off and paid his dues. like slater but if we can package him with someone for a draft pick.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
I wonder if Maurice and Luit have a relationship through the Whalers connection.

I was wondering the same thing Luit may pump Maurice tires to Burmi about how good a coach he is influencing him.Luit will definitely be motivated to get a contract done because I'm pretty sure Luit won't make any money if Burmi is in the KHL.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I know I am not sure I like myself at this point but I am just pissed off right now...... The last two games were the last straw.....We can't win enough and we can't lose enough.

My take PS is you started getting attached to certain draft position and draft eligible players that required a tank. And you certainly weren't alone. I find it easy to get drawn into this but what's the value? Personally I really don't start paying much attention to the draft until after the season and we know where we pick. I prefer to stay focused on the current team and want them to win. There were a lot of Jets fans at the game last night, paying hard earned money cheering the boys on. They deserve to see their best effort, and I'm happy they saw a win.

Besides there is plenty of time to get up to speed on the draft and eligible players between now and the end of June. It's pretty much a crap shoot and historically picks 6-15 pretty much gives you the same chance at an impact player.

Now I'm kind of interested in who might be available in the 7-9 spot, I think I'll take a peek at some of the mock drafts.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Coach-Maurice-first-practice-300x200.jpg

Comprehensive papers today. Plenty to digest as we switch focus to next season.

To read click here.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Ottawa needs at least a point too. We're behind the Leafs and Sens right now because of their superior win%. We have the same ROW, but much better +/-. So, Nucks need 3 points out of 4, Sens and Leafs need one point each.

Then we win the lottery.

This may have been answered by now, but the Leafs and Ottawa play tonight so someone is getting points. Ideally it's a 3 point game and the Jets fall behind both.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
My take PS is you started getting attached to certain draft position and draft eligible players that required a tank. And you certainly weren't alone. I find it easy to get drawn into this but what's the value? Personally I really don't start paying much attention to the draft until after the season and we know where we pick. I prefer to stay focused on the current team and want them to win. There were a lot of Jets fans at the game last night, paying hard earned money cheering the boys on. They deserve to see their best effort, and I'm happy they saw a win.

Besides there is plenty of time to get up to speed on the draft and eligible players between now and the end of June. It's pretty much a crap shoot and historically picks 6-15 pretty much gives you the same chance at an impact player.

Now I'm kind of interested in who might be available in the 7-9 spot, I think I'll take a peek at some of the mock drafts.

100% guilty of dreaming of the six spot and Dal Colle or Draisaitl sliding a bit.....next year I will take your advice.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
100% guilty of dreaming of the six spot and Dal Colle or Draisaitl sliding a bit.....next year I will take your advice.

Hey will still have a chance at 7th pick. If the Leafs and Ottawa have a 3 pointer tonight we are guaranteed at least 8th. And the Canucks win a couple games to impress the new boss and boom we are 7th.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Hey will still have a chance at 7th pick. If the Leafs and Ottawa have a 3 pointer tonight we are guaranteed at least 8th. And the Canucks win a couple games to impress the new boss and boom we are 7th.

Yea I am at a point that after last night most of this doesn't matter that much now. I have zero faith in the Nucks or Leafs but one never knows.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yea I am at a point that after last night most of this doesn't matter that much now. I have zero faith in the Nucks or Leafs but one never knows.

I'm the opposite. The Jets are done playing. No more tank talk. Nothing the Jets can do so you don't have to hope against your team, you're free to cheer for the best case scenario.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Incorrect guys. The Jets are competing with Toronto and Vancouver for the 7-9 spots. Ottawa wins tiebreaker with Jets because they won both games vs Jets.

Need the Leafs to get 1 point vs Ottawa or Canucks 3 points in 2 games.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Agreed. Shane Hnidy is a quality announcer and is a legit Stanley Cup winner, and from what I can gather second hand, a good human being as well.

I like Shane but easy there. He needs some work to get that moniker, but I think he's improving. He is a hell of a lot better than many, many other color guys. I prefer him to Mike Johnson any day of the week.

The thing I like about Shane is that he isn't all smug like asshats Johnson and Healy. Ohhhh I've been in the NHL, I played with that guy, I did this. We all ****ing know you were in the NHL you ******. Just make your point.

A guy like Ferraro is amazing in that he imparts his knowledge and you respect him. He doesn't cram the fact that he was an NHL'er down your throat every 5 minutes.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I know I am not sure I like myself at this point but I am just pissed off right now...... The last two games were the last straw.....We can't win enough and we can't lose enough.

These last couple games were bittersweet fro sure. Really wanted and thought we were good to go for a really good draft pick & then we go and win a couple meaningless games. Great for Hutch & I suppose the team though.

Maybe helps if Maurice wasn't totally committed. Maybe, this is more important than anything else for the Jets future, maybe they got to see what a real positional goalie plays like.

Last edited:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Incorrect guys. The Jets are competing with Toronto and Vancouver for the 7-9 spots. Ottawa wins tiebreaker with Jets because they won both games vs Jets.

Need the Leafs to get 1 point vs Ottawa or Canucks 3 points in 2 games.

Correct! Let's *shudder* hope for a Leafs win against them!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The Jets finished with 84 points this season, same as their first year. GD was -9 this year and first year was -21 and -16 last year. They are improving and GD was one of the best of the non playoff teams in the west. I feel they were much more competitive and in a lot more games this year in a much tougher division. Just think what better starting goaltending this year would've done for that GD and utimately their record

You are new around here but I have to say, I really like your attitude, and, you know, use of facts.

This is all very true. We are super disappointed because this team could have easily made the playoffs with a couple of changes, but we have improved greatly. We have an identity now. We are big, fast, strong, and forecheck. We have some really great young players, with more on the way. We have a coach who seems to know what kinds of players we have and how to use them. He has a PLAN, and he makes ADJUSTMENTS in game. That is more than we've ever had so far 2.0

If we can get better goaltending next year, maybe get Burmi back, and we cut out dead weight (Seto, Halischuk, Clitsome) and some of our younger guys can contribute (O'Dell, Cormier, Klinger, Redmond, Postma) I think this team turns the corner. I still feel very excited about our team. If Cheveldayoff does nothing about our goaltending and P****** is our starter in October though, that optimism will be gone.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Welcome to the IceCaps fan-base Jets Fans. Disappointing season but I have a feeling that with a few tweeks over the summer you guys will be alright.

Anyone have a clip of Klingers goal?

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
No longer need a clip of Carls goal. Just seen it on sportsnet. Gilmour wearing 48 in the peg?

Also, one of the few joys of being an AHL hockey fan is watching things like Klinger and Postma scoring there first goals (of the season..) with guys like Cormier and Redmond showing emotion or their teamates. Pretty cool!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad