Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part XIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
@alla5oh

Laine bonuses will be 2.65M - 2.85 based on the recent #2 overalls

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I've only been talking obout October barring injuries. I don't know why you think Maurice will change that line without giving it a chance?

There are lots of reasons and I've given them to you. I've also been talking mostly about AFTER Laine and Connor are ready for top 6. Where did I ever say Maurice would change that line without giving it a chance?

That line was very good so the reasons to keep it together are obvious. My guess is that the success was due mostly the Scheif. Wheeler and Ehlers to a lesser extent. Can't prove that of course. Ehlers speed contributed a lot to the success. Perreault's speed could accomplish exactly the same. Ehlers at 2RW gets Stafford out. That = a gain that more than makes up for any loss to the 1st line - IF there is any. When he is ready to move up Connor is at least as fast as Ehlers. He could fill that role.

There is what I want to see and there is what I expect to see. Not the same. What I expect to see in October is;
Ehlers - Scheif - Wheeler
Laine - Little - Stafford
TC could change that but not likely, partly because of the WC.

Once we have a few games behind us Maurice may start to tinker with lines. Who knows what will happen then?

What I would LIKE to see later, after Connor and Laine have adapted to the NHL (and no telling exactly when that will be);
Connor - Scheif - Wheeler
Laine - Little - Ehlers
I think those players are our top 6 for the next few years. They may get mixed and matched a bit but when healthy it will be those 6.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
@alla5oh

Laine bonuses will be 2.65M - 2.85 based on the recent #2 overalls

Quit nitpicking! I must've assumed that was total cap hit. I thought I was shooting high if anything.

But it does mean potentially up to $6 million in bonuses next year. I'd be surprised if we hit 2, but still that's a big number.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
There are lots of reasons and I've given them to you. I've also been talking mostly about AFTER Laine and Connor are ready for top 6. Where did I ever say Maurice would change that line without giving it a chance?

That line was very good so the reasons to keep it together are obvious. My guess is that the success was due mostly the Scheif. Wheeler and Ehlers to a lesser extent. Can't prove that of course. Ehlers speed contributed a lot to the success. Perreault's speed could accomplish exactly the same. Ehlers at 2RW gets Stafford out. That = a gain that more than makes up for any loss to the 1st line - IF there is any. When he is ready to move up Connor is at least as fast as Ehlers. He could fill that role.

There is what I want to see and there is what I expect to see. Not the same. What I expect to see in October is;

Once we have a few games behind us Maurice may start to tinker with lines. Who knows what will happen then?

What I would LIKE to see later, after Connor and Laine have adapted to the NHL (and no telling exactly when that will be);
Laine - Little - Ehlers
I think those players are our top 6 for the next few years. They may get mixed and matched a bit but when healthy it will be those 6.

You either don't know Maurice very well or are in denial.

I am only giving my opinion on what I think Maurice is likely to do

All those reasons you give don't address Maurice's tendencies.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Quit nitpicking! I must've assumed that was total cap hit. I thought I was shooting high if anything.

But it does mean potentially up to $6 million in bonuses next year. I'd be surprised if we hit 2, but still that's a big number.

Hey I'm just trying to help ;)

The price of winning the lattery is a small one in the big picture

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
So now Edmonton is finally willing to trade Hall for a defenseman. I guess they weren't getting many takers for Eberle?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You either don't know Maurice very well or are in denial.

I am only giving my opinion on what I think Maurice is likely to do

All those reasons you give don't address Maurice's tendencies.

You are completely ignoring everything I've said about timelines and also the difference between what I want and what I expect. To start the season I expect the exact same thing as you do.

Your opinion of what Maurice is likely to do is no better than mine. Odd that I have to say that when we are both expecting the same thing, at least at the start.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
So now Edmonton is finally willing to trade Hall for a defenseman. I guess they weren't getting many takers for Eberle?

I'm really never sure about Edmonton's future. I know they didn't expect to be perpetually bad and keep winning the lottery but when they signed RNH/Hall/Eberle all to six million dollar deals over the long term it just wasn't good business sense. Of course Edmonton fans all feel all are worth those amounts, but they sort of come off sounding like they've forgotten the cap exists. I don't really dislike any of the three but from a Jets perspective maybe Hall fits under our team payroll scheme, the other two not so much. Eberle would be the (current) second highest paid Jet and he's no lock for the first line. As I've been saying for about two years they'll have a hard time moving Eberle to anyone because everyone is under the cap restraints.

Moving forward they've got one more year with Draisaitl (this season) on his ELC, two years with McDavid before he gets PAID (ballpark what $8?) and now Puljujarvi, who if he really does become the Kurri to McDavid's Gretzky is probably looking at $6+ himself. Assuming Draisaitl progresses to what would be arguably a 1st line center on many teams without McDavid he's probably looking at $6 as well.

It's an awesome group to have, no question but I think they have a hard time moving RNH and Eberle at all. And I think you'd like to keep McDavid, Draisaitl and Puljujarvi over any of RNH/Eberle/Hall, wouldn't you?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
You are completely ignoring everything I've said about timelines and also the difference between what I want and what I expect. To start the season I expect the exact same thing as you do.

Your opinion of what Maurice is likely to do is no better than mine. Odd that I have to say that when we are both expecting the same thing, at least at the start.

If we agree then what's the point? I Ignored the rest because I don't wish to be part of that discussion. Never did. Why are you ignoring my ignoring?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If we agree then what's the point? I Ignored the rest because I don't wish to be part of that discussion. Never did. Why are you ignoring my ignoring?

Whut?

I'm going to try a reboot on a more sensible level.

Going forward, specifically to sometime after Stafford is out of the picture entirely, who do you see being the players making up our top 6? You needn't put them in lines or even positions. Just name your best guess for who they will be. Caveat: Not so far forward that Wheeler and Little have dropped out. You can leave them out if you wish but not because of aging out or contracts expiring.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Whut?

I'm going to try a reboot on a more sensible level.

Going forward, specifically to sometime after Stafford is out of the picture entirely, who do you see being the players making up our top 6? You needn't put them in lines or even positions. Just name your best guess for who they will be. Caveat: Not so far forward that Wheeler and Little have dropped out. You can leave them out if you wish but not because of aging out or contracts expiring.

I don't intend to Mort. Stop.

This will go nowhere

Ehlers being a good LW and a great RW has yet to be proven

I stand by that statement

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011

Laine - Little - Ehlers
I think you should switch Connor and Laine I see reasons both ways but I think he will want to split up Laine and Ehlers.
A third line of Perreault/Petan/Armia would be dynamite.Then role out Lowry/Copp/Dano and you have the makings of a contender.
we will probably loose one of Armia/Copp/Dano/Lowry in the expansion draft hopefully it's Lowry or Copp then Lemieux can slide right in on the LW,or is Copp exempt did we figure that out for sure yet?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't intend to Mort. Stop.

This will go nowhere

Ehlers being a good LW and a great RW has yet to be proven

I stand by that statement

And I conceded it was my opinion a long time back.

If you don't want to take that new tack that's cool. We were circling in the line we were on. Cheers. :)

BTW, I appreciate a lot of what you do here even if we clash from time to time. You are an excellent source of factual information, for example on CBA questions among other things. And I really like your dev camp, training camp reports. :thumbu:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think you should switch Connor and Laine I see reasons both ways but I think he will want to split up Laine and Ehlers.
A third line of Perreault/Petan/Armia would be dynamite.Then role out Lowry/Copp/Dano and you have the makings of a contender.
we will probably loose one of Armia/Copp/Dano/Lowry in the expansion draft hopefully it's Lowry or Copp then Lemieux can slide right in on the LW,or is Copp exempt did we figure that out for sure yet?

I was thinking of splitting Connor and Ehlers. :laugh: My first thought was to replace the speed that Ehlers brought to the Schweelers line. I think he got opponents backing up. Connor would do the same. It could go either way though. The whole top 6 could be rearranged many ways.

I swap Armia and Dano but - nitpicking. We can have 4 good lines and that 4th line will score a bit too. Not a lot but more than what we have been getting.

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
Hypothetically, how would Joel Edmunson (STL) or Hadyn Fleury sound if we could acquire them on the cheap? Both would be expansion exempt and could play today, and are also in our age group as a team.

Neither would probably come cheap...

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
And I conceded it was my opinion a long time back.

If you don't want to take that new tack that's cool. We were circling in the line we were on. Cheers. :)

BTW, I appreciate a lot of what you do here even if we clash from time to time. You are an excellent source of factual information, for example on CBA questions among other things. And I really like your dev camp, training camp reports. :thumbu:

I choose not to project lineups in the summer. But if someone makes a statement I think is innaccurate I have no problem pointing it out

I'm wrong sometimes, but not always

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
Free Agent thread who should the jets go after?

As much as we need a LHD there are none out there that really intice me.I would like the jets to go after David Backes but that would mean moving Stafford and probably not signing Perreault.But I really think he would be one of the last pieces to the puzzle as far as our forwards are concerned he is what we were wanting out of Lowry in a 3rd line centre role but I just don't think Lowry has the talent.I would rather dish out the cash for over a guy like Okposo.He would be another real leader that would take our team depth to another level.

Ehlers/Scheif/Wheeler
Laine/Little/Armia
Perreault/Backes/Dano
Lowry/Copp/Tanev

Then next year after the expansion draft you make a trade to acquire a young LHD using combo of Petan/Roslovic/Dano draft pick etc.

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg
As much as we need a LHD there are none out there that really intice me.I would like the jets to go after David Backes but that would mean moving Stafford and probably not signing Perreault.But I really think he would be one of the last pieces to the puzzle as far as our forwards are concerned he is what we were wanting out of Lowry in a 3rd line centre role but I just don't think Lowry has the talent.I would rather dish out the cash for over a guy like Okposo.He would be another real leader that would take our team depth to another level.

Ehlers/Scheif/Wheeler
Laine/Little/Armia
Perreault/Backes/Dano
Lowry/Copp/Tanev

Then next year after the expansion draft you make a trade to acquire a young LHD using combo of Petan/Roslovic/Dano draft pick etc.

Backes will not be in a Jets uniform next year

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
They have to move Stafford if another forward is brought in. Allows them to pay more for less term. 3 years max as Wheeler, Myers, Laine, and Connor will all be up for extensions at the same time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad