Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part XIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Just want to bounce a trade proposal off of you guys, to see who needs to add or is paying too much:

To Habs: Yakupov, Oilers 2017 2nd pick
To Oilers: Myers
To Jets: Habs' 2017 1st (lottery protected), Reinhart

No interest in Reinhart. Habs also get hosed in that trade

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I like adding Okposo to the top 9.

1. Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler - Ozone starts, 2nd toughest match up (speed and skill to win their match up)
2. Laine-Little-Okposo - Dzone starts, toughest match up (yes rookie Laine helps win match up here, and adds offence)
3. Connor-Perreault-Stafford - Ozone starts, easier match ups (MP and KC add creativity, KC adds elite speed to this line)
4. Burmi-Lowry-Dano - Dzone starts, can play and against other teams 4th lines

Thorburn, Armia

Peluso, Petan, Copp, Tanev, Lemieux, Lipon, Kosmachuk all with the Moose.

Not if he is looking for something long term in the $7M range as has been reported.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Not if he is looking for something long term in the $7M range as has been reported.

A couple of days ago I would have said that there was no way that he would have fetched that much...but after the Cats signed Yandle to that ridiculous contract, I'm not so sure anymore.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
If they're looking to add a guy with some term I think Nielsen is the one I'd be most interested in.. Should cost less than Okposo anyways.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes, I was talking about Stafford.

I think you're too fixated on the RW, LW. Forward positions aren't that static. There is too much fluidity to the game.

I think it's a better exercise to discuss which Forward pairs work best together and then add who compliments them. For instance I think Little & Wheeler work best together, despite Scheifele & Wheelers late season success.

You could be right about the bold. I think it is important for young players, rookies and sophomores. It is less important when they have established themselves in the NHL. I want to give them the best chance to succeed. Also I believe some players switch more successfully than others. Some never miss a beat while others clearly suffer on one side.

We've had quite a bit of talk about F pairs for the last couple of off-seasons. Don't hear so much about it in season. Always a C and 1 W, could be either side. Normally we have left that W on his primary side. The other W has been more fluid.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Agreed. $7 is a bit steep in today's marketplace.

I was thinking more the $6x6 contract rumoured for Ladd. Ideally it's just under $6, but I think Okposo's camp holds out for $6+ and gets it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He also played LW at the recent World Championships for Denmark

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I'm not even trying to change it But just try not to pawn your opinions off as facts when they are not

When you say he's a good LW and a great RW. You forgot the part "IMO" or "I think"

All I said was it is yet to be proven

Do you believe I should just accept your opinions as fact?

I don't really have an opinion on this matter yet. But it sure appears like Ehlers immediate future is LW.

As I said before, I think it has been proven but I concede that it could change.

Don't know why you say the last bolded part unless you are assuming Schweelers is cast in stone. They were very good late in the season so I wouldn't be surprised if that's how it goes, at least to start the season. But I expect a lot of experimenting with line combinations in TC. The WC will interfere. That may make established lines like Schweelers all the more likely.

I think our lineup works much better with Ehlers at RW. If he stays on the left side then Stafford stays in the top 6 and there is a logjam on the left.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

I was thinking more the $6x6 contract rumoured for Ladd. Ideally it's just under $6, but I think Okposo's camp holds out for $6+ and gets it.

It will be a very interesting frenzy this year. Sramkos will likely freeze the high end of the market until he signs. If he drags it out a day or two many of the top forwards (Eriksson, Ladd, Lucic, Okposo, Backes etc) may also be waiting. There could also be an opportunity for a team like Van or Wpg who are not in the Stamkos sweepstakes to get their guy before the dominoes fall. :popcorn:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I quickly threw together a status quo roster with RFAs signed:

Cl9uGsgVAAA09Pw.jpg:large

If we were to go after Okposo I think the following options would need to happen:

1) Buy out or trade Pavelec
2) Trade Stafford
3) Trade Stuart
4) Trade Thorburn + Burmistrov

We have too many young guys on ELCs with potential bonuses:

Cl9x2J2VAAAT70p.jpg:large

Dano doesn't have any bonuses in his contract.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think you are banking on a lot there. I don't think that Connor being a rookie has much of a chance at being better then Ehlers is.

I guess I did imply that but it isn't what I meant at all. The point is that I see 4 W's in the top 6 going forward. They may not all be there at the start. Both Laine and Connor are going to have to go through their rookie adjustment period. Laine should do it quicker with the experience he has had, both pro and international.

When those adjustments are done our top 4 W's are Wheeler, Ehlers, Laine and Connor, 2 on the left and 2 on the right. If Ehlers is on the left then Laine has to be on the R. Second choice for both of them. If our Finnish friends are right Laine is more than just a little better on the left. IMO Ehlers is quite a bit better on the right.

Maurice could adjust both of them to the more conventional sides and maybe it works out. Or maybe it stifles both of them. I would rather see them given their choices until they are more established in the NHL. I think that is the way to give them the best chance at the greatest success. If the Jets want to move them a year or two from now you have a baseline to compare the result to.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If they're looking to add a guy with some term I think Nielsen is the one I'd be most interested in.. Should cost less than Okposo anyways.

I wouldn't want to give Nielsen much term. He is a 32 YO Matty P. He is less injury prone but not as good all around either.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
As I said before, I think it has been proven but I concede that it could change.

Don't know why you say the last bolded part unless you are assuming Schweelers is cast in stone. They were very good late in the season so I wouldn't be surprised if that's how it goes, at least to start the season. But I expect a lot of experimenting with line combinations in TC. The WC will interfere. That may make established lines like Schweelers all the more likely.

I think our lineup works much better with Ehlers at RW. If he stays on the left side then Stafford stays in the top 6 and there is a logjam on the left.

He's been playing LW. When he last played he played LW. He played on #1 line as LW. IMO he will start the season on that same line. Thus I feel his immediate future is playing LW.

That is all. Simple probability

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He's been playing LW. When he last played he played LW. He played on #1 line as LW. IMO he will start the season on that same line. Thus I feel his immediate future is playing LW.

Maurice said that he expects to have Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler start as a line at the beginning of the season.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Not certain but I think he has already turned down something like 6x6 from the Isles. My guess is that he is aiming for 7x7. He is the right age to go for that kind of contract. I wouldn't do that but some team probably will. We just don't need him enough to be worth that.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Stafford is glaringly the odd-man out.

Yup. Fits like those cloths you had when you were 12 and had just grown 10". :laugh: They weren't bad clothes. They just didn't fit anymore. Stafford is not a bad player. He just doesn't fit.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I just noticed a small error, I have Burmi at 1.5 when he should be at 1.55.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I quickly threw together a status quo roster with RFAs signed:

Cl9uGsgVAAA09Pw.jpg:large

If we were to go after Okposo I think the following options would need to happen:

1) Buy out or trade Pavelec
2) Trade Stafford
3) Trade Stuart
4) Trade Thorburn + Burmistrov

We have too many young guys on ELCs with potential bonuses:

Cl9x2J2VAAAT70p.jpg:large

Dano doesn't have any bonuses in his contract.

I doubt Armia signs that low. His QO would be higher.

Probably 2yr
$1.0 & $1.5 AAV $1.25M

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Could be. That line was certainly successful. But he only started playing LW after Ladd was traded creating a hole there that needed to be filled. Since that time we have added 2 top 6 LWs. We'll see. :)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Exactly and I doubt he's about to switch Wheeler to LW

Throughout this conversation I have made it pretty clear that I was not necessarily talking about opening day. Connor probably starts on the 3rd line. Things change once both he and Laine are ready for the top 6.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Could be. That line was certainly successful. But he only started playing LW after Ladd was traded creating a hole there that needed to be filled. Since that time we have added 2 top 6 LWs. We'll see. :)

I've only been talking obout October barring injuries. I don't know why you think Maurice will change that line without giving it a chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad