Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part XIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would love to add Okposo. That would be huge. I know we have a few young guys, but if you have a chance to be better and a young guy or 2 has to wait another year so be it. Although Okposo along with others likely will be overpaid and it is hard for us to compete with the other teams
Interested.

Think about how that affects our expansion draft. It means one of those young guys goes to LV. Correction, one of them likely was anyway. It means a better one of them goes to LV. That applies to any UFA we sign unless we hope to have them for one year and then have LV take them.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Think about how that affects our expansion draft. It means one of those young guys goes to LV. Correction, one of them likely was anyway. It means a better one of them goes to LV. That applies to any UFA we sign unless we hope to have them for one year and then have LV take them.

I like our young guys, but the guy that would go to LV is not good enough for us to not try and get better for this season. I just don't agree with not adding a decent UFA because we may lose a guy like Dano, Burmistrov, Etc. We could still protect one of Armia and Dano.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I have a sneaking suspicion the Jets didn't like the depth of this draft. I'm willing to bet over the next few weeks they move Drew Stafford for mostly 2017 picks.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
T

Maybe we sign Stafford to expose...especially if he has a big year this year. A few 20g seasons may be too much to ignore.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG

Couldn't we sign a guy like Okposo without a NMC? If so, we'd just leave him exposed. It's not like we spent assets to get him anyway, so no huge loss if Vegas snags him. I do agree that we should focus on protecting our younger players, and we shouldn't sign any FA's to contacts with a NMC.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I like our young guys, but the guy that would go to LV is not good enough for us to not try and get better for this season. I just don't agree with not adding a decent UFA because we may lose a guy like Dano, Burmistrov, Etc. We could still protect one of Armia and Dano.

Is this added player a F or a D?

Right now it looks like we protect Wheeler, Little, Perreault and Scheif. Armia, Dano, Lowry and Burmi are already exposed.

What hole do you propose filling with a UFA?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
T

Maybe we sign Stafford to expose...especially if he has a big year this year. A few 20g seasons may be too much to ignore.

He's in the way now. Should we extend him for a year to expose and then be stuck with him if LV doesn't take him? He probably would demand 2 years to extend.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Couldn't we sign a guy like Okposo without a NMC? If so, we'd just leave him exposed. It's not like we spent assets to get him anyway, so no huge loss if Vegas snags him. I do agree that we should focus on protecting our younger players, and we shouldn't sign any FA's to contacts with a NMC.

If you're Okposo are you going to sign knowing you will likely end up on an expansion team? Maybe he likes LV but maybe he likes winning.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
It shows Hutchinson as an RFA when the contract he just signed expires. I think that's a mistake - pretty sure he'd be a UFA.

You're correct.He will be UFA as he'll be 28 when his contract expires.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014

IMO, If I had to choose between having Okposo or having Armia I know which one im choosing.

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
IMO, If I had to choose between having Okposo or having Armia I know which one im choosing.

If we could sign Okposo then leave him unprotected and have LV take him we could protect the same 4 F's we would have before signing him and them not lose any of the 4 unprotected F's we have been talking about.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

But that isn't the choice.

Until Toby waives or a D is moved we are doing 4+4.
The 4 forwards are Wheeler, Little, Scheifele, Perreault unless Perreault is left unsigned. So you are choosing Okposo over one of them. You might decide that you can protect Okposo over Perreault.

But then we have to ask why Okposo. Yes he is a good player but RW is not a position of need. Who does Okposo push off the RW? It isn't Stafford. It is Ehlers.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Could be Stafford, if he's pushed right out of the org via a trade to accommodate Okposo.

Staffords days are numbered anyway. We already can construct better lineups without him than with him. I know, that doesn't mean he is gone but his contract expires in 1 year. He is probably gone by the TD.

Meanwhile we have Ehlers playing LW successfully but he is much better on RW. It seems people have forgotten the start of the season when he was on RW with Scheif and was getting 6-7-8 shots on net every game. Game after game. unfortunately only a few went in but it was just a matter of time. Much as I loved Schweelers I think it is more important to get Ehlers back to the right side than it is to keep them together. With the addition of Laine and Connor he isn't needed on the left anymore.

Add Okposo and the good part is it will probably ensure Laine plays on the LW but with Connor and Ehlers we have a logjam in top 6 LW's. Move Ehlers to the RW and the logjam is there.

Good as Okposo is we just don't need any top 6 wingers. Especially ones who will get 6-7 years at 6.5-7 mil and probably a NMC too.

Honestly the only UFA I would want would be a top 4 LHD. There are none of them available in UFA this year. Our top 6 is well filled and our bottom 6 has lots of good players giving us multiple options. We are going to have at least 1 or 2 forwards in the A who really should be in the NHL but there isn't room for all of them.

If we could trade 1 or 2 of the bottom 6 guys and sign someone like Helm it might make sense. I don't see any way that simply signing a UFA and throwing him into the mix helps us. If it is one part of a series of moves that might be different but in isolation it is a poor allocation of resources.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Staffords days are numbered anyway. We already can construct better lineups without him than with him. I know, that doesn't mean he is gone but his contract expires in 1 year. He is probably gone by the TD.

Meanwhile we have Ehlers playing LW successfully but he is much better on RW. It seems people have forgotten the start of the season when he was on RW with Scheif and was getting 6-7-8 shots on net every game. Game after game. unfortunately only a few went in but it was just a matter of time. Much as I loved Schweelers I think it is more important to get Ehlers back to the right side than it is to keep them together. With the addition of Laine and Connor he isn't needed on the left anymore.

Add Okposo and the good part is it will probably ensure Laine plays on the LW but with Connor and Ehlers we have a logjam in top 6 LW's. Move Ehlers to the RW and the logjam is there.

Good as Okposo is we just don't need any top 6 wingers. Especially ones who will get 6-7 years at 6.5-7 mil and probably a NMC too.

Honestly the only UFA I would want would be a top 4 LHD. There are none of them available in UFA this year. Our top 6 is well filled and our bottom 6 has lots of good players giving us multiple options. We are going to have at least 1 or 2 forwards in the A who really should be in the NHL but there isn't room for all of them.

If we could trade 1 or 2 of the bottom 6 guys and sign someone like Helm it might make sense. I don't see any way that simply signing a UFA and throwing him into the mix helps us. If it is one part of a series of moves that might be different but in isolation it is a poor allocation of resources.

What's the obsession with helm here. Is it because he's local. He's not going to be worth the money he's going to get. If the jets are after okposo I hope it's with the desire to run 3 scoring lines. Something like:

Ehlers-scheifele-wheeler
Laine-little-okposo
Connor-perreault-dano

Lots of flexibility there too, with players that can play multiple positions. We don't need any more bottom 6 players imo

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Hypothetically, how would Joel Edmunson (STL) or Hadyn Fleury sound if we could acquire them on the cheap? Both would be expansion exempt and could play today, and are also in our age group as a team.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
But that isn't the choice.

Until Toby waives or a D is moved we are doing 4+4.
The 4 forwards are Wheeler, Little, Scheifele, Perreault unless Perreault is left unsigned. So you are choosing Okposo over one of them. You might decide that you can protect Okposo over Perreault.

But then we have to ask why Okposo. Yes he is a good player but RW is not a position of need. Who does Okposo push off the RW? It isn't Stafford. It is Ehlers.

Ehlers can also play LW...and was really good at it with Scheif and Wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad