Post-Game Talk: Jets def. Canucks - 4-2 (Kuzmenko, Garland)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsharpe

Jan 12, 2010
Oh, you're preaching to the choir. I enjoy HF and message boards in general. I tend to never go on Reddit (not for hockey, anyway) and I only have a Twitter account to follow hockey reporters for breaking news.

But for actual discussion, I like HF. And I like the community here on HF Van.

But I've been around long enough to see a lot of big contributors eventually move on to other platforms (or just have their real lives occupy more of their time to the point that HF doesn't fit in anymore :p )

There's something to be said for a smaller group of opinions. I find that this forum is pretty much inline with how much time I want to spent reading/discussing the team so it's a good fit. I tend to "ignore" most threads and just stick to reading a handful and I do find the interface of HFboards works great in truly cutting out the noise.

Just thought I would add that I like the smaller group of people. Band wagoners and fair weather fans really annoyed me during the good times.

So frustrating going to the main boards and seeing Canuck "fans" have just absolutely awful and insulting takes.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Garland has been the best player on that line.

I like Lazar a lot - he works hard and is a pain in the ass to play against. But he kills every offensive chance / rush he gets on that line. He should be moved down, and someone like Joshua or Studnicka, who seems to have some offensive ability, should play up.

Lazar is a pure 4th line plug who should never, ever play anywhere other than the 4th line.

He's absolutely sinking Miller and Garland right now.

Anyways...

What a strange career. I thought he was finished after 2015-16 but is now playing his 1000 game.

One of the strangest careers of all time.

He's basically had 30 productive games since 2013, with Columbus in 2016-17.

His career looked over in 2016 when Philadelphia waived/AHL'ed him after he'd been a cap dump from both Edmonton and Philly.

Then those 30 games in Columbus rescued his career and tricked us into giving him a stupid deal.

And a year after that, he's back in the minors in 2018 and his career looks over again.

Then he goes to Edmonton, and they waive him too the AHL too. Career looks over again.

But then he latches onto Detroit as a space-filler at the bottom end of their rebuild and prolongs his career. And gets another contract now with Winnipeg.

He's basically been clinging to NHL rosters for a decade now but just keeps re-appearing somewhere new.

Reactions: Nucker101

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Lazar is a pure 4th line plug who should never, ever play anywhere other than the 4th line.

He's absolutely sinking Miller and Garland right now.

One of the strangest careers of all time.

He's basically had 30 productive games since 2013, with Columbus in 2016-17.

His career looked over in 2016 when Philadelphia waived/AHL'ed him after he'd been a cap dump from both Edmonton and Philly.

Then those 30 games in Columbus rescued his career and tricked us into giving him a stupid deal.

And a year after that, he's back in the minors in 2018 and his career looks over again.

Then he goes to Edmonton, and they waive him too the AHL too. Career looks over again.

But then he latches onto Detroit as a space-filler at the bottom end of their rebuild and prolongs his career. And gets another contract now with Winnipeg.

He's basically been clinging to NHL rosters for a decade now but just keeps re-appearing somewhere new.
That dirty little rat, "tricking" us into signing him for huge dough. What an underhanded move. Maybe that's why everybody here hated him...

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
That dirty little rat, "tricking" us into signing him for huge dough. What an underhanded move. Maybe that's why everybody here hated him...

I actually respect him more for taking advanatage of dirtier rats. We all would have done the same.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I actually respect him more for taking advanatage of dirtier rats. We all would have done the same.
Of course, even the Golden Children of the Canucks would do it and their fans would applaud it. I often wonder how he would have been viewed by this fanbase if we had got him for dirt cheap but then that didn't help Kyle Wellwood..

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I mean, saying we were tricked by a fluke 30 games isn't saying that he is specifically some sort of bad person. Weird take.

Of course, even the Golden Children of the Canucks would do it and their fans would applaud it. I often wonder how he would have been viewed by this fanbase if we had got him for dirt cheap but then that didn't help Kyle Wellwood..

In a cap era, players are judged by their contributions relative to their cap hit.

Sam Gagner was a terrible player for this team relative to his cap hit.

People don't like Tyler Myers because he's a bad player relative to his cap hit. If he made $800k, it would be a totally different story because he'd be providing positive value to the team instead of negative value.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Ever since beating the Canucks (quite handily), the Jets have gone into a bit of a funk...It appears that the Canucks are incrementally crawling out of theirs.

Literally, its anybody's guess which Canuck team shows up tonight..Playing in a building that historically hasn't been that friendly to them.

Reactions: Lindgren

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I don't really think poorly of Gagner at all. We bought high on him, for sure, but he was also a stop gap roster spot on a team that was going nowhere fast. It was actually kind of funny that he was the veteran that Benning and Green chose to send to the minors instead of a bunch of other deserving guys.

But Gagner has been a quality guy who works hard in the community everywhere he goes, and clearly found a niche with Detroit in another rebuilding team.

That he's caught on as a bottom liner on a competitive team now is just good for him. 1,000 NHL games is a decent accomplishment, and he's a nice guy that's hard to feel bad for.

It also means he's simply a lock to score tonight. :laugh:

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I finally caught covid and now I get 5 days off.
Hopefully I can wake up in time to watch the game.

Side note: holy f*** I feel like I’m being stabbed in the throat constantly. Worst case of sore throat I’d ever had in my life so far. Other symptoms are pretty mild.

Reactions: Lindgren

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I don't really think poorly of Gagner at all. We bought high on him, for sure, but he was also a stop gap roster spot on a team that was going nowhere fast. It was actually kind of funny that he was the veteran that Benning and Green chose to send to the minors instead of a bunch of other deserving guys.

But Gagner has been a quality guy who works hard in the community everywhere he goes, and clearly found a niche with Detroit in another rebuilding team.

That he's caught on as a bottom liner on a competitive team now is just good for him. 1,000 NHL games is a decent accomplishment, and he's a nice guy that's hard to feel bad for.

as a human being i have no opinion about sam gagner. but i hated him as a player. something about the way he played rubbed me really hard the wrong way.

even compared with lazy soft guys like granlund and vey, gagner just seemed so soft and lazy to me. he epitomized everything that was worthless about those last sedin teams. even in light of the abominations that were sutter and gudbranson. to this day, among benning era players i think i only dislike watching myers more.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
as a human being i have no opinion about sam gagner. but i hated him as a player. something about the way he played rubbed me really hard the wrong way.

even compared with lazy soft guys like granlund and vey, gagner just seemed so soft and lazy to me. he epitomized everything that was worthless about those last sedin teams. even in light of the abominations that were sutter and gudbranson. to this day, among benning era players i think i only dislike watching myers more.

Eriksson easily topped my list of least favorite acquisitions during the Benning era.

Myers at least plays like he gives a shit. He's got cement between his ears, but he at least works hard.

Eriksson was the laziest slug I've seen wear a Canucks' jersey since Mark Messier.

Gagner was just a soft, skilled forward who converted a hot stretch into a good contract.

Reactions: MS

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Eriksson easily topped my list of least favorite acquisitions during the Benning era.

Myers at least plays like he gives a shit. He's got cement between his ears, but he at least works hard.

Eriksson was the laziest slug I've seen wear a Canucks' jersey since Mark Messier.

Gagner was just a soft, skilled forward who converted a hot stretch into a good contract.
He also whined and complained after being sent down (via his agent as he didn't have the guts to do it himself imho) because shockingly.....was playing like sh*t. Jim Benning did him a *HUGE* favor by not assigning him to the Canucks AHL affiliate (when they were in DIRE NEED of centers) & instead to their division rival - the Marlies so he could be closer to family!!! That just rubs me the wrong way. Here is his boss doing him a good deed after his "employee" was just going thru the motions on the ice after being given a decent contract. **** him forever.:)

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
makes no sense for Colin Delia to start considering Martin had an excellent game. If Delia is starting, then this game is a complete coin toss. Either he's dialed in or is a complete sieve, this game will depend on his performance.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

And I guess this is where the Delia story comes from.

Agree with @MS on this one. His last start was strong enough to merit him another one. We have nothing to gain by riding Martin until he breaks with Demko being out until late January/February. Delia needs to get some games in.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I mean, saying we were tricked by a fluke 30 games isn't saying that he is specifically some sort of bad person. Weird take.

In a cap era, players are judged by their contributions relative to their cap hit.

Sam Gagner was a terrible player for this team relative to his cap hit.

People don't like Tyler Myers because he's a bad player relative to his cap hit. If he made $800k, it would be a totally different story because he'd be providing positive value to the team instead of negative value.

A lot of talk about his character in the room. He'd probably be a lock on our 3rd line/PP2...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad