Post-Game Talk: Jets def. Canucks - 4-2 (Kuzmenko, Garland)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
The thing you have to love about Miller is his passion.....He just hates losing, and sometimes the results on the ice get the better of him. But would you rather have it the other way around?....a guy who just signed an $8m contract and knows he's going to get paid whether the team wins or loses?

Give me a player who 'cares' every time. I really think the coaches and his fellow teammates understand the type of guy he is, and probably wouldn't change a thing.
It's a schtick; he performs all this crap in an attempt to somehow prove how much he cares. Unfortunately his actual play says otherwise. He's a total phony IMHO.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
It's a schtick; he performs all this crap in an attempt to somehow prove how much he cares. Unfortunately his actual play says otherwise. He's a total phony IMHO.

Bingo. If he actually cared about winning he’d actually play the game on his own side of centre.

Kesler got away with some similar PR stuff because he walked the walk all over the ice.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
While I think a player having passion for his team and drive to win is a plus, I do believe that there are better ways to help your team than screaming at your teammates like an angry child.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The bench called him over. Delia didn't do anything. Then they called him while on the ice and he still didn't do anything. Again, what else do you want him to do at that point? The team needed/wanted Delia on the bench and he wasn't responding. What is your alternative, just wait and hope eventually he wakes up?

If Miller went rogue here and basically tried to send him off himself then of course that's a different situation and is awful by Miller. But do you think that's what happened?
I think what happened was what I said. Goaltenders from the first time they are pulled for an extra attacker have it drilled into their head the puck best be moving forward in your possession before going to the bench. That wasn’t happening because the puck was coming back into the zone.

It is very important to note that Delia wasn’t asleep (unlike Miller all f***ing game). He was trying to figure out when it was best to go to the bench. He wasn’t sitting there with his eyes down looking at cracks in the ice. He was prepared to go to the bench when his team actually decided to move the puck forward. And honestly the suggestions I’ve seen of needing a 6th player to engineer a basic breakout is funny. You don’t need it for the other 59 minutes of the game but need it there. I don’t think so.

It is also NEVER the role of a player on the ice to :
(1) be involved in the decision between the bench and goaltender and the goaltender making sure it’s safe or not. If the goaltender is wrong the the coach deals with it after the fact to figure out where the communication broke down(Boudreau says it didn’t break down…Delia was doing what he was told to do);
(2) show up his teammate with yelling and stick banging

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Only one on ice player was visibly frustrated. I kept wondering that if this sort of thing would have happened with, say, Demko how quickly most here would rush to his defense. But it looks like Delia is this year's cannon fodder/scapegoat goalie. Oh well at least it pays...

Wonder how many of these "chances" occurred with the puck on his side of center...

Wonder how many times you are going to reply to the same post.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I'm pretty confident that most players who are putting in a decent amount of effort will get the support of fans. Miller is clearly taking a lot of shifts off. Boeser looks like he doesn't care and seems remarkably lazy playing defense. Horvat is all about scoring goals and seems to have given up on the parts of his game that made him a more complete player.

Miller and Boeser are playing like this despite being given the support of large financial payouts. Horvat seems to have grown tired of playing for a crap organization and is looking to move on. I've got little issue with this as he's done his best for years to support this bottom dwelling pool swill.

The issue raised about trading picks, or the value of picks I find particularly irritating, is that the Canucks use picks to get rid of poor contracts and use picks to get players in trades. It's extremely rare for them to trade the players they don't feel fit the club for picks, so there's always a net loss in picks, which ultimately hurts your player development.

You don't need to be drafting first overall to get good players and the Canucks are evidence enough of that. If your goal is to draft first overall, then as others have posted, it's likely not a very good plan because it's too contingent on simple luck. The goal should be to develop a good roster by trading your good players who may not fit the structure of your roster or the timeline for when your team will peak.

Identifying Pettersson, Hughes and Demko as the players you're going to build around isn't a failure of imagination. Thinking you're going to turn this turnip truck into a cup contending team based on everything working to your advantage is a poor shot selection. Resigning Miller was a very shortsighted decision and we didn't even need to wait for the contract to begin to see that play out.

Anyway, we're still far, far better off than under Benning, but the clown show continues. Good management will produce a good team, and I'm not confident this is good management.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think what happened was what I said. Goaltenders from the first time they are pulled for an extra attacker have it drilled into their head the puck best be moving forward in your possession before going to the bench. That wasn’t happening because the puck was coming back into the zone.

It is very important to note that Delia wasn’t asleep (unlike Miller all f***ing game). He was trying to figure out when it was best to go to the bench. He wasn’t sitting there with his eyes down looking at cracks in the ice. He was prepared to go to the bench when his team actually decided to move the puck forward. And honestly the suggestions I’ve seen of needing a 6th player to engineer a basic breakout is funny. You don’t need it for the other 59 minutes of the game but need it there. I don’t think so.

It is also NEVER the role of a player on the ice to :
(1) be involved in the decision between the bench and goaltender and the goaltender making sure it’s safe or not. If the goaltender is wrong the the coach deals with it after the fact to figure out where the communication broke down(Boudreau says it didn’t break down…Delia was doing what he was told to do);
(2) show up his teammate with yelling and stick banging

Many of the set plays with 6 guys involve the puck being rung around the boards and you want more guys in the offensive zone to keep the puck in. It makes complete sense why the players were holding up if that was the plan.

I don't believe this was Miller showing up a teammate. It was a player frustrated for good reason and he had enough so he took action. I think many media and fans overreact to these situations, or at least to this one. Everyone loved when Schenn confronted Miller on the ice and that was far more a case of "showing up" a teammate if you picked between the two.

I'm not trying to defend Miller overall. I just think this particular situation got completely blown out of proportion.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Bingo. If he actually cared about winning he’d actually play the game on his own side of centre.

Kesler got away with some similar PR stuff because he walked the walk all over the ice.
There are more than a few similarities between Miller and Kesler. None of them bode well for this team...

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
He was circling back and waiting for the sixth guy because they want to time their break-in correctly with everyone on the ice. It's possible/likely that the plan was to ring the puck around boards on the break-in and you want the 6th guy inside the zone to help contain the puck. We don't know. We do know that the coach wanted their 6th guy out there at that time, so Delia is in the wrong.

He was clearly slamming his stick to get the goalie's attention because nothing else had worked. The coached had waived him over and he didn't go. Miller said something and it's possible other players did as well. What else do you do at that point to get him to the bench? Should they have a polite discussion after the game?

Call it what it is - Delia f***ed up.
You NEVER circle back to pull a goalie, its not a delayed penalty. Miller had possession he simply had to move it up ice and he would have had Delia going to the bench with a forward jumping over the boards, but no the clueless zero hockey iq idiot circled back and wasted even more dwindling time.

We don’t need an idiot like Miller trying to be an on ice coach. Given his countless screwups he would be the last person who should give on ice direction.

Miller now has negative value. We are at the point where we have to give more to move him.

He is a lazy whiny cancer

Fact

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
You NEVER circle back to pull a goalie, its not a delayed penalty. Miller had possession he simply had to move it up ice and he would have had Delia going to the bench with a forward jumping over the boards, but no the clueless zero hockey iq idiot circled back and wasted even more dwindling time.

We don’t need an idiot like Miller trying to be an on ice coach. Given his countless screwups he would be the last person who should give on ice direction.

Miller now has negative value. We are at the point where we have to give more to move him.

He is a lazy whiny cancer

Fact
Brock Boeser. FACT.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Lol Tampa beats Colorado last year if they have an extra 99 pts on the roster
The 1st they acquired for Miller was turned in to Blake Coleman on a $1,800,000 cap hit.

He's 100% right to me. Glad he answers these things honestly instead of giving some soft answers to keep people happy.

One thing I will walk back a bit is that I think at some point I went from it being a miscommunication between Delia/Boudreau to blaming it on Delia. And even though I think Bruce is protecting his guys a bit here with his answer above, I do think it was more of a miscommunication than all on Delia.

As an aside, Lachlan Irvine from CanucksArmy does a great job in getting clips up quickly but I'm not a fan of his commentary. Called Miller's actions "a scratchable offense" and went a bit crazy about the whole thing. Seems like the type to be offended easily and not someone I'll be going to for Canucks content.

In this case yeah.

But mostly he has been spouting some serious hockey cliché stuff while pretending that he isn't playing like shit.

Brock Boeser. FACT.
What is this?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The 1st they acquired for Miller was turned in to Blake Coleman on a $1,800,000 cap hit.

In this case yeah.

But mostly he has been spouting some serious hockey cliché stuff while pretending that he isn't playing like shit.

What is this?

That’s the thing that annoys me the most about Miller. He does an awful lot of talking on and off the ice but thus far this year he hasn’t remotely backed that talk with actions. It’s the definition of lip service from him this year. His attitude and demeanor both suck and there is no way it’s good for the team this season. And we’re nearing the halfway point so it is not a blip at this point.

When you hear what he says, watch things he does and couple that with reports from experienced journalists/commentators that it’s not a great room to be around (compared to past Canuck teams) I find it hard to just ignore it as a what goes on in the locker room stays in the locker room type thing.

This team just isn’t in Kesler and Bieksa getting into it at practice to push and improve territory. It seems to be toxic room territory and no matter if it’s a minor or major incident in one’s mind, those actions do nothing to dispel the belief something is rotten in the room (beyond the talent level!). Note: I’m not trying to saddle everything on Miller for that room just that it’s the latest incident so to speak.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Brock Boeser. FACT.
I totally agree Brock is not performing and frankly does not have to speed to be complete nhl player but he does not pull selfish whiney crap on the ice like jt does

2 separate issues

Only similarity is BOTH players are anchors now and at a negative trade value and both trending downward towards Loui contracts

Reactions: mossey3535

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
This team just isn’t in Kesler and Bieksa getting into it at practice to push and improve territory. It seems to be toxic room territory and no matter if it’s a minor or major incident in one’s mind, those actions do nothing to dispel the belief something is rotten in the room (beyond the talent level!). Note: I’m not trying to saddle everything on Miller for that room just that it’s the latest incident so to speak.

the beauty of kesler was when he was being too much of a whiny baby or too big for his britches, he had a buddy in bieksa who could kick his ass and probably would if he had to

that’s a responsibility you can’t just saddle luke schenn with. there was mutual respect, love, and a common goal there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad