Confirmed with Link: Jets/Buffalo Blockbuster! part II (Kane and Bogo)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This is odd, especially the last paragraph.

How well he scores is how well he scores. The fact that he takes lots of bad and good shots is part of the reason why he scores well. Other players do it differently. Kane isn't the only one. Kane's shot distributions are similar to Nash and Hornqvist. Not everyone is Tanguay or Perreault and only shoots at the perfect moment.

There is a saying: there is more than one way to skin a cat. Just because it isn't your preferred method doesn't mean that the end results are different than what they were.

Kane did score goals at a first line pace.
Kane's linemates did pick up more points on average with him than without.

Those are facts.

What you are discussing is Kane's playstyle. If you want, you could argue that Kane would be MORE effective if he took your advice. Even that is debatable, as quantity is more controllable than quality in the NHL level. That doesn't change how effective he was.

^^^^... all of this, plus...

The Jets were a better team with Kane. We had a decent to good 3rd line when he played there, however you measure it. Without him, it's a mediocre to bad 3rd line.

I'm not sure we should be surprised that the Jets have taken a step backward since Kane went down, and then was traded. Stafford isn't as good a player as Kane, particularly in the Jets style of play. Losing Perreault has compounded the situation since he was arguably our 4th best forward. We lost 2 of our top 6 forwards, so it's not a surprise that our top-9 doesn't look that great.

The reality is that Chevy went for futures rather than equivalent quality in the trade for Kane. I think that was the right move all things considered, but I also accept the fact that it made the Jets a worse team for the remainder of this season. If the futures (Armia, Lemieux, 2015 1st) don't amount to much, this trade is going to look quite bad for the Jets in a few years from now.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

The Jets were a better team with Kane. We had a decent to good 3rd line when he played there, however you measure it. Without him, it's a mediocre to bad 3rd line.

I'm not sure we should be surprised that the Jets have taken a step backward since Kane went down, and then was traded. Stafford isn't as good a player as Kane, particularly in the Jets style of play. Losing Perreault has compounded the situation since he was arguably our 4th best forward. We lost 2 of our top 6 forwards, so it's not a surprise that our top-9 doesn't look that great.

The reality is that Chevy went for futures rather than equivalent quality in the trade for Kane. I think that was the right move all things considered, but I also accept the fact that it made the Jets a worse team for the remainder of this season. If the futures (Armia, Lemieux, 2015 1st) don't amount to much, this trade is going to look quite bad for the Jets in a few years from now.

I think Chevy did well with a gun to his head but only time will tell. Buffalo definitely got a big Bird in the hand advantage with Bogo (assuming the principles were Kane for Myers). The only thing I don't love about it from the Sabres standpoint is they are currently a really bad team and only have Kane under contract for 3 more seasons. That is sketchy term at best and only gives them two seasons until Evander enters the last year of his contract?

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think Chevy did well with a gun to his head but only time will tell. Buffalo definitely got a big Bird in the hand advantage with Bogo (assuming the principles were Kane for Myers). The only thing I don't love about it from the Sabres standpoint is they are a currently a really bad team and only have Kane under contract for 3 more seasons. That is sketchy term at best and only gives them two seasons until Evander enters the last year of his contract?

I agree about Kane and his contract status. The Jets needed to move him, and I'm glad that they focused on futures in the deal. I expect that they would have done their due diligence and that they are confident that both Lemieux and Armia have good NHL potential. So far, I have every reason to believe that they'll get that right. I also have some confidence that they'll make good use of the 1st round pick this year. I have been hoping that they would pick up another 1st round pick in this draft. That could be a really important piece.

In the end, I hope this is one of those "win-win" deals. If the Jets have misjudged the potential of Armia and Lemieux, or don't make good use of the 1st round pick, this is going to be an inauspicious debut for Chevy on the big trade front.

(*p.s. If the Jets are able to sign Stafford to a decent deal for 2-3 years, this trade looks much better for the Jets. He's a solid 3rd liner on a good team).

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
It's the biggest "small town" with an excellent ballet company, symphony orchestra, theater scene, music scene (including major concerts and festivals), art scene, etc.

It also has excellent restaurants.

Seriously, if you go to any equivalent-sized city in the US you'd find almost nothing in the way of cultural development or diversity.

If you want the big night-club scene, it's not your place. So maybe it isn't popular with some NHL hockey players that are into that.

The weather is crappy, no way around that.

It focuses way too much attention on hockey. Better that than NASCAR racing, though. :laugh:

^^^this

except this

Sure we get a vicious cold snap once and a while but a lot of us enjoy spending winter outdoors doing activities such as snowmobiling, snow showing, skiing, ice fishing and pond hockey :D Plus our summers are amazing.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
As much as Kane had off ice issues, his on ice performance was great. He made others on his line better. I think he lights it up with McEichel next year. I'm calling it now, barring injury, he gets over 30 goals.

That there is pure gold!

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
....well, that line of Kane, Lowry and Thorburn had become a better 3rd line than anything we've seen since, don't you think?

I do. Other teams had a very hard time with that line. That line appeared to be on the way to good things.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
....well, that line of Kane, Lowry and Thorburn had become a better 3rd line than anything we've seen since, don't you think?

Yup I would agree with that, but what happened when they played him with Wheeler, Shief, Ladd, Little? On our team the way it was built he was a 3rd liner because he could not play with anyone else, I think he is better than a 3rd liner if you can find guys for him to play with. IMO he drags the more elite players down with his lack of vision and creativity.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
The NHLPA has not realized that Kane has changed his twitter handle. Found these on the player agent site today from an account that is not Kanes. Newport Sports may want to fix this.;)

The leafs won a game. Whens the parade?

[mod]

Im pretty sure that even without me, the Sabres could beat Toronto...

Here is the site where it is linked to Kane's old twitter handle.:shakehead

http://www.nhlpa.com/inside-nhlpa/certified-player-agents/find-an-agent?ln=D

Todd Diamond is Bergy's agent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

...who cares about Todd Diamond ... "Stormin' Normand Dupont"!!!!

plr80x1.jpg

1489.jpg

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's the biggest "small town" with an excellent ballet company, symphony orchestra, theater scene, music scene (including major concerts and festivals), art scene, etc.

It also has excellent restaurants.

Seriously, if you go to any equivalent-sized city in the US you'd find almost nothing in the way of cultural development or diversity.

If you want the big night-club scene, it's not your place. So maybe it isn't popular with some NHL hockey players that are into that.

The weather is crappy, no way around that.

It focuses way too much attention on hockey. Better that than NASCAR racing, though. :laugh:

This site needs just a simple :thumbu:
Good post. :laugh: Nascar

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I agree with the gist of this post but the bolded is not quite accurate because by the time the trade was made Kane was already on the shelf for the season.

Kane epitomized what the Jets were when they were getting into playoff position. Without him they may have to modify their identity yet again. His scoring may be replaced with only moderate difficulty. His combination of speed, physicality and in your face **** you attitude is almost impossible to replace. The only way Buffalo is unhappy with the trade is if they expect the wrong things from him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I do. Other teams had a very hard time with that line. That line appeared to be on the way to good things.

The really surprising thing was that it included Thorburn.

Yup I would agree with that, but what happened when they played him with Wheeler, Shief, Ladd, Little? On our team the way it was built he was a 3rd liner because he could not play with anyone else, I think he is better than a 3rd liner if you can find guys for him to play with. IMO he drags the more elite players down with his lack of vision and creativity.

I think that is true with those particular top 6 players, not necessarily all of them.

From what I saw of Reinhart at the WJC I think he is a smart player in the sense that he will use the strengths of his linemates rather than demanding that they come to him. My prediction is that Kane will blossom as a scorer with him more so than with McEichel.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I agree with the gist of this post but the bolded is not quite accurate because by the time the trade was made Kane was already on the shelf for the season.

Kane epitomized what the Jets were when they were getting into playoff position. Without him they may have to modify their identity yet again. His scoring may be replaced with only moderate difficulty. His combination of speed, physicality and in your face **** you attitude is almost impossible to replace. The only way Buffalo is unhappy with the trade is if they expect the wrong things from him.

... fair enough.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Around the MTS centre they have Jets players on some of the street lights.

Has anyone noticed if they still have Kane + Bogosian ?

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Finally watched the Kane interview.

I don't see anything dismissive about him saying Winnipeg is a small town. He gave that context by immediately saying "but it's a big hockey market". His point was that he was always under the microscope so that comment was relevant. There was no hiding from the negativity when he went out in public.

I think the fact he got traded to Buffalo of all places should teach him some humility and it's entirely possible he matures into a good leader for that team. Having said that, it clearly wasn't working here so I'm glad he's gone and that the Jets got a good return given the situation.

He said "fresh start" about a hundred times in that interview. I'm pretty sure at one point he said "it's good to have a fresh start and to start fresh" or something like that. Maybe an endorsement deal with Subway is in the works :sarcasm:

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
Are you guys happy with Myers? From the stat sheet, it looks like he is doing well. Would like to see him flourish. Both he and Staff dealt with a lot of rough losing in Buffalo and always maintained a very professional attitude. Really enjoying watching Bogo hit everything. Hopefully trade is positive for both teams moving forward.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Are you guys happy with Myers? From the stat sheet, it looks like he is doing well. Would like to see him flourish. Both he and Staff dealt with a lot of rough losing in Buffalo and always maintained a very professional attitude. Really enjoying watching Bogo hit everything. Hopefully trade is positive for both teams moving forward.

So far so good.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg

I expect nothing less than a PPG season next year from him. :sarcasm:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Hey Guys,

We're excited to see what Kane can do next year with a fresh start. Hope Myers continues to excel on your D corps for years to come.

I'm not sure where to ask this but can anyone give me a run down on why Kane got such a bad rap in Winnipeg? I assume it can't just be a couple of twitter photos and the track suit thing. Everyone is convinced the kid has a terrible attitude, but I haven't seen anything other than some annoying social media stuff. Just curious.

Kane could have been a rock star in Winnipeg, had he shown the social intelligence needed to endear him to the fans.

Never once, since coming to Winnipeg as part of the Thrasher relocation, has Kane said anything remotely favorable towards the organization or the fans. Not one iota of a " this is a great hockey market, fans are great." "its nice playing in a packed arena every night.", something even as simple as "I like playing in Winnipeg." would have had everyone loving him.

Instead he chose to be impartial to the team and its fans. Instead he chose to post content that had tones of controversy and hints of dissatisfaction with his current situation.

He had his nose out of place from the moment he came here. He complained about Winnipeg being a small market fishbowl, that everything he did was over analyzed because we have nothing better to do in Winnipeg. Basically, he insulted the entire fan base with that comment.

What he failed to realize was that Winnipeg was crazy for getting the Jets back, not because Evander Kane was part of that. The fishbowl had nothing to do with Winnipeg being a small market with nothing better to do, it had everything to do with the passion and love for the game, that garnered the attention the team and its players got from its fan base.

Kane wants attention, good and bad. He knew how to push our buttons, he like doing it. I think its that lack of social intelligence that drove him to do so. Do not get me wrong, Kane is a very intelligent person, but he is socially not intelligent. ITs what made him a poor teammate and a poor professional off the ice.

But on the ice he always gave it a 100%. He plays hard, sticks up for teammates and he can get the fans off their seats with a big hit, or a power drive to the net. Its when he is off the ice that most of his issue surface.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Kane could have been a rock star in Winnipeg, had he shown the social intelligence needed to endear him to the fans.

Never once, since coming to Winnipeg as part of the Thrasher relocation, has Kane said anything remotely favorable towards the organization or the fans. Not one iota of a " this is a great hockey market, fans are great." "its nice playing in a packed arena every night.", something even as simple as "I like playing in Winnipeg." would have had everyone loving him.

Instead he chose to be impartial to the team and its fans. Instead he chose to post content that had tones of controversy and hints of dissatisfaction with his current situation.

He had his nose out of place from the moment he came here. He complained about Winnipeg being a small market fishbowl, that everything he did was over analyzed because we have nothing better to do in Winnipeg. Basically, he insulted the entire fan base with that comment.

What he failed to realize was that Winnipeg was crazy for getting the Jets back, not because Evander Kane was part of that. The fishbowl had nothing to do with Winnipeg being a small market with nothing better to do, it had everything to do with the passion and love for the game, that garnered the attention the team and its players got from its fan base.

Kane wants attention, good and bad. He knew how to push our buttons, he like doing it. I think its that lack of social intelligence that drove him to do so. Do not get me wrong, Kane is a very intelligent person, but he is socially not intelligent. ITs what made him a poor teammate and a poor professional off the ice.

But on the ice he always gave it a 100%. He plays hard, sticks up for teammates and he can get the fans off their seats with a big hit, or a power drive to the net. Its when he is off the ice that most of his issue surface.

Thanks for posting this. It reflects my thoughts regarding #9. :handclap:

If that lovely press conference in Buffalo on the weekend did anything - it reinforced the fact that this trade was long overdue.

Good luck to #9 in Buffalo. I cannot see him being a happy camper. But miracles happen occassionally, yes?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Miss Evander the player (though lots to be desired there too), but not the person. Miss Bogo the person, but not so much the player.

If a player ever becomes a true star on the ice, and off it, he would be forever loved by Winnipeg fans. Teemu is truly the best example.

Buff may be close, but his on ice play (defensive gaffs) and off-ice issue (impaired boating) may prevent him from truly being that guy, imo. Trouba may be the best chance of the existing team. Unlimited potential. Scheifele would be in the mix too, if he can put together some 65+ pt seasons in the future. Ehlers may get there too.

Evander is a fine hockey player. But has not lived up to his contract, yet, imo. He needs to focus on becoming a better player. He will go to a big market in FA, where he can attend events like NBA games court side with other 'celebrities' regularly. That's much more important to him than 'just playing hockey', IMO. Good luck to him. I, for one, don't believe he will reach his potential as a hockey player. It's too much about Evander, IMO.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

I agree with you!

When Kane was asked what his favorite place in Winnipeg was he answered, "my condo."

peg

Jul 8, 2010
I agree with you!

When Kane was asked what his favorite place in Winnipeg was he answered, "my condo."

Haven't gone through this thread, but you cannot forget Kane's 2013 quote about how he is perceived in Winnipeg:

"I think a good portion of it is because I'm black and I'm not afraid to say that."

Great way to endear yourself to the locals is to accuse them of being racist.

Frankly, I think the Jets will be fine without Kane. Since he went AWOL in Vancouver the Jets have been 4 - 2 - 3 for 11 points in 9 games. Over a season this would give us 100 points. We have picked up these 11 points in a period where he have suffered from terrible penalties and sub-par goaltending. All we have to do is get past these problems :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad