Confirmed with Link: Jets/Buffalo Blockbuster! part II (Kane and Bogo)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008
You would think that the Jets getting the great Drew Stafford, Tyler Myers, and Joel Armia in their lineup last year plus clearing out the cancer Evander Kane that they should of had 30 more points then Buffalo.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
You would think that the Jets getting the great Drew Stafford, Tyler Myers, and Joel Armia in their lineup last year plus clearing out the cancer Evander Kane that they should of had 30 more points then Buffalo.

We were a better team with Kane than without. I don't think there is any denying that. But I think we are in a better spot to win now then we were before

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I thought that getting Kane for a bunch of prospects was going to propel the Sabres into contention. The trade brought "now" players to the Sabres and a lot of futures to the Jets. Interestingly, the "now" players that the Sabres received haven't been a big improvement on Myers and Stafford, while the Jets still have the three additional prospects. I think we'll all see how important this trade has been to fill in the Jets young depth in the next few years.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

Cancer spreads. Kane was more like an annoying cyst that you remove to lessen the pain level. :)

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Just having Kane off the Jets for me as a fan was good. Getting the players and prospects we got for him makes it a win. It was quite tiresome hearing rumours of things he had supposedly done when he was here. I would always try to defend him, saying things like, there isn't any proof, he was not charged. No one would come out and formally make a statement. Whether it was walking out on restaurant bills (I thought ridiculous for a millionaire) to being involved in altercations with bar security. To me, it was all just wild rumours. The money phone incident etc. This was IMO in bad taste, but I could live with it.
There was always a lot of smoke when it came to Kane, yet nothing definitive. He wanted out of Winnipeg to be sure, but back then he would say things like " I am a Winnipeg Jet and that is my focus" In denial,I would try to spin that in a positive way. Well, the track suit incident , finally, brought about a conclusion to his time in Winnipeg.

Since he has gone on to Buffalo, the behaviour has continued, he puts himself above his team and seemingly can't help but cause a distraction. He will do what he wants to do and doesn't care what anyone thinks of him. Now there are fans in Buffalo, that are having the same reaction that I used to have. Defending him like I did, basically in denial. Thankfully , he is their problem now and very likely he will never change. Meanwhile , he continues to erode the fan support he has in Buffalo. Not that he cares, of course.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
By high I would think maybe 2nd round but probably 3rd. A team at the deadline that wants scoring depth in the playoffs may grab him for a 2nd. Never know. That would be a good return IMO.

At the draft I figured he would have brought a 3rd, possible a 2nd. The comparison to Ladd doesn't quite hold; a)We are talking about a full season now not a rental, b)Ladd brought 22nd + Dano.

If some team decides they need a 20 goal RW heading into the season or early in the season if they have an injury he still might bring a 2nd. At the TD, if he is having a decent season I think he brings a 1st or 2nd + 3rd or 2nd + B prospect.

I would rather have moved Stafford even before the lottery win. Not because I don't like him but he doesn't figure into the future and he is blocking a young player who does. The lottery win just multiplied that. Signing Matthias added further to the block. Regardless of the return I prefer him gone.

Whether you want to count him as a rental in that trade or not he ceased to have value for the Jets as soon as Chevy committed to the youth movement. It never made sense to let Stempniak go and to keep Stafford. :naughty:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If all we're going to get for Stafford is a 3rd rounder, the Jets may feel he has more value staying with the club. Scoring 20 plus goals in this league is nothing to sneeze at. With the forward depth we have going into next season, he'll probably be playing with some very good linemates, and having another good year. Unless one of the youngsters can outperform him, he may even be extended.

Burmi, on the other hand......unless he can continue to play like he did the final few games, I don't see how there's room for him.

Burmi is easy to find room for. He is paid like a bottom 6 player and that is where he belongs. I agree he needs to keep playing like he did the last 20 games last year but I see no reason not to expect exactly that. It was a more mature version of what he had done previously. The first 3/4 of last season was readjusting and finding a place. I had hoped it would happen faster but I'm satisfied that it finally happened. If I'm wrong it is no big deal to get him out of the way.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I'm perfectly fine with Stafford playing out the last year of his contract before shipping him off, unless the young'uns prove better than we think and force Chevy to trade Stafford to free up some cap space and give a roster space to one who deserves it. Of course, one would need a willing partner to do so, and trading off Stafford is less likely to happen if the Jets are in the thick of the playoff race. Hoping that this is the last year we need to see Stafford, and the absolute last we see of Pavelec.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm perfectly fine with Stafford playing out the last year of his contract before shipping him off, unless the young'uns prove better than we think and force Chevy to trade Stafford to free up some cap space and give a roster space to one who deserves it. Of course, one would need a willing partner to do so, and trading off Stafford is less likely to happen if the Jets are in the thick of the playoff race. Hoping that this is the last year we need to see Stafford, and the absolute last we see of Pavelec.

I'm resigned to having Stafford till the TD. He makes it difficult for me to make out my optimum lineup but Maurice's won't be much like mine anyway. :laugh:

Speaking of players in the last year of their contracts and the TD ..... do goalies ever get moved at the deadline.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I'm resigned to having Stafford till the TD. He makes it difficult for me to make out my optimum lineup but Maurice's won't be much like mine anyway. :laugh:

Speaking of players in the last year of their contracts and the TD ..... do goalies ever get moved at the deadline.

It's happened. Reimer last season. Miller, Luongo, Roloson, I'm pretty sure Halak has as well.

OutsideLookingIn

Feb 9, 2010
Burmi is easy to find room for. He is paid like a bottom 6 player and that is where he belongs. I agree he needs to keep playing like he did the last 20 games last year but I see no reason not to expect exactly that. It was a more mature version of what he had done previously. The first 3/4 of last season was readjusting and finding a place. I had hoped it would happen faster but I'm satisfied that it finally happened. If I'm wrong it is no big deal to get him out of the way.

Burmi has a lot of tools but has no idea how to use them.

He is a bottom six guy on a bad team, a 4th liner on a decent team and doesn't have a place on a true contender.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Personally I get really sick & tired as a minute problem being referred to as a cancer..please stop.
Evander needs to grow up, the Jets are far better off as having gotten rid of him.
Go grind your axe on your own board.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Never thought Kane was nearly as good as what some people painted him out to be.

Good skater and forechecker, but he's more one-dimensional offensively than Paper Mario (whom I guess would actually be two-dimensional, but you get my point!).

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

He is a bottom six guy on a bad team, a 4th liner on a decent team and doesn't have a place on a true contender.

What do you base that assessment on? He needed to readjust last year after 2 seasons in the K. It took him twice as long as I would have liked and expected but once he got it figured out he was very good. He may have regressed over the off season but there is no reason to expect that. If he picks up where he left off he is a good 3C. If that was just a bit of a hot streak then he is a good 4C or winger. If he can't win one of those jobs he should be moved, one way or another. I think it is a mistake to pass judgement on him before the TC competition though.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Personally I get really sick & tired as a minute problem being referred to as a cancer..please stop.
Evander needs to grow up, the Jets are far better off as having gotten rid of him.
Go grind your axe on your own board.

Pretty sure that was used sarcastically. If not I agree but then a lot of things get overstated here.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Burmi

What do you base that assessment on? He needed to readjust last year after 2 seasons in the K. It took him twice as long as I would have liked and expected but once he got it figured out he was very good. He may have regressed over the off season but there is no reason to expect that. If he picks up where he left off he is a good 3C. If that was just a bit of a hot streak then he is a good 4C or winger. If he can't win one of those jobs he should be moved, one way or another. I think it is a mistake to pass judgement on him before the TC competition though.

It would not surprise me if coach again tried a shutdown line with Lowry, Matthias and Burmi. He showed he likes Burmi's defensive play.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

One thing Alex has going for him is there is now a slim chance they actually play him with talent on the 3rd line. There are guys like Dano, Petan, Connor, and Perreault that are all pretty capable. Our org Has historically been very dysfunctional at assembling a bottom six but they finally have the pieces now so there is faint hope.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012

I see Burmi as a good stick handler but he has ZERO vision to pass. How many times did we see a couple slick moves then a give away? It was the only thing he did consistently. This is what Noel was talking about when he said there was too much East/West in his game. It's also why Maurice just wants him to shoot it, it's better than a bad pass/give away.

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015

Trading off Stafford may really happen if the Jets are in the thick of the playoff race for are we not in the market for LHD and Staff could be one piece of that larger deal.

And the absolute last we see of Pavelec, well don't count your lame chicken off your team until he's really CONFIRMED off our team! Not predicting this at all but just saying with the smaller goaltending equipment coming this season (By the way is there any updates on that? cause I know you guys keep up to date) and somehow and in some crazy odd bad luck way, Pav has his best year ever....

Did I just write that? :rant: :shakehead :amazed:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Trading off Stafford may really happen if the Jets are in the thick of the playoff race for are we not in the market for LHD and Staff could be one piece of that larger deal.

And the absolute last we see of Pavelec, well don't count your lame chicken off your team until he's really CONFIRMED off our team! Not predicting this at all but just saying with the smaller goaltending equipment coming this season (By the way is there any updates on that? cause I know you guys keep up to date) and somehow and in some crazy odd bad luck way, Pav has his best year ever....

Did I just write that? :rant: :shakehead :amazed:

If we are in a playoff race come the TD I think the Jets end up keeping Stafford as their own rental. Unless just about every youngster has met of exceeding expectations there will still be a role for him. I don't see how Stafford helps you get a LHD. If we are a buyer teams will want one of our picks or prospects if they have a LHD on the market not a pending UFA. If we are a seller and want to unload Stafford, which will almost be a guarantee if it gets to that point, any buying team isn't giving up one of their D for him and he is not near the player to get in on any type of high end prospect.

In terms of Pavs, just one more season. I'd play him on the Moose and run with Helly and Hutch. Then he is gone forever.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
ooooh boy....tasty.....

Thankfully Kane isn't our problem any more. He is quickly wearing out is welcome in Buffalo listening to their fans. And the Sabre's are forced to sit by watching his value go down by the day. Another team might take a flyer on him but it will be pennies on the dollar. I'd expect that he is eventually left unprotected in the expansion draft.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Well, that's a far bit more serious than the rumours of walking out on restaurant tabs and getting punched out at the Palomino (or whatever bar he was at that night) in Winnipeg. Some serious allegations levied against him.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
From reading the lawyers debate on the Sabres board unless the (allegedly caught on camera) choked women comes forward to file a complaint I am not sure Kane will be getting tuned up in a court of law too badly (we shall see).................BUT.................if it were only that simple. EK9 is a NHL player who is a commodity/brand within a brand (The Sabres) within a brand (the NHL). Murray and Pegula took a risk to bring in Kane and give him a fresh start and all he has done is kick them square in the nuts by doubling down on, if not escalating, his act that wore out its welcome in Winnipeg?

Guilty or not in a court of law his problems are very real when it comes to his image, working in the NHL, and getting paid what he has become accustom to especially on his next contract if and when that comes. Which GM is going to put their career on the line to take a shot at Evander at full price unless he cleans up his act?

Feels like we have come to that moment in time when Kane is on his last life in Buffalo if it isn't already too late. As always its still your move Evander?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad