Confirmed with Link: Jets/Buffalo Blockbuster! part II (Kane and Bogo)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
From reading the lawyers debate on the Sabers board unless the (allegedly caught on camera) choked women comes forward to file a complaint I am not sure Kane will be getting tuned up in a court of law too badly (but we shall see).................BUT.................if it were only that simple. EK9 is a NHL player who is a commodity/brand within a brand (The Sabers) within a brand (the NHL). Murray and Pegula took a risk to bring in Kane and give him a fresh start and all he has done is kick them square in the nuts by doubling down on, if not escalating, his act that wore out its welcome in Winnipeg?

Guilty or not in a court of law his problems are very real when it comes to his image, working in the NHL, and getting paid what he has become accustom to especially on his next contract if and when that comes. Which GM is going to put their career on the line to take a shot at Evander at full price unless he cleans up his act?

Feels like we have come to that moment in time when Kane is on his last life in Buffalo if it isn't already too late. As always its still your move Evander?

I would like to see the NHL come down hard on him regardless of what happens in court. If they have access to the video that should be all they need to suspend him and get him into some kind of program.

I think he's on his last legal myself as he just doesn't seem to learn from his actions. He seems completely wrapped up in living the high life. Dating models, driving sports cars and partying it up. He's more than fine to live that life but he's now letting it impact his career... I. E skipping practice due to partying it up at the NBA Allstar game and all these other late night incidents.

He better learn and he better learn quickly as the lifestyle he seems to love so much is made possible by him being a highly paid athlete. Given where he's heading he may not be given another contract after his current one. It's unfortunate but I see him broke within 5 years of his career ending if he doesn't wise up.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I would like to see the NHL come down hard on him regardless of what happens in court. If they have access to the video that should be all they need to suspend him and get him into some kind of program.

I think he's on his last legal myself as he just doesn't seem to learn from his actions. He seems completely wrapped up in living the high life. Dating models, driving sports cars and partying it up. He's more than fine to live that life but he's now letting it impact his career... I. E skipping practice due to partying it up at the NBA Allstar game and all these other late night incidents.

He better learn and he better learn quickly as the lifestyle he seems to love so much is made possible by him being a highly paid athlete. Given where he's heading he may not be given another contract after his current one. It's unfortunate but I see him broke within 5 years of his career ending if he doesn't wise up.

Its really hard for me to judge how the NHL will react but if the tape never goes public (TMZ style) they will likely duck the fight.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Its really hard for me to judge how the NHL will react but if the tape never goes public (TMZ) they will most likely duck the fight.

Your probably right, but them doing that would not sit right by me as I feel Kane needs a wakeup call and/or help.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
I'm more skeptical that there will be any serious repercussions to Kane's career, unless something extremely damning shows up, like the Ray Rice elevator video, that makes EK brand so toxic, that no one would be able to sign him. There's always going to be some desperate GM out their looking for a quick fix to save his own job.

EK is on the road to this, but he's not there yet.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Im enjoying this new narrative where Chevy was a very shrewd GM and man of action who got rid of Evander Kane freeing the team and city from him before his antics really got out of hand...:shakehead

Kane requested a trade every year for 3 consecutive years and wasn't traded until the locker room blew up and he took himself off the team by putting himself on IR for the remainder of the season, culminating in a national media scandal and final trade request.

Mr. Dithers lucked out again when it just so happened that this was the year of McDavid/Eichel lottery where several teams were openly tanking and one team, Buffalo, was even willing to trade significant assets for a player that wouldn't play for them until the following season after surgery.

If you want to call trading Evander Kane a shrewd decision, you first have to be willing to lie to yourself.

Last edited:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Im enjoying this new narrative where Chevy was a very shrewd GM and man of action who got rid of Evander Kane...:shakehead

Kane requested a trade every year for 3 consecutive years and wasn't traded until the locker room blew up and he took himself off the team by putting himself on IR for the remainder of the season, culminating in a national media scandal and final trade request.

Mr. Dithers lucked out again when it just so happened that this was the year of McDavid/Eichel lottery where several teams were openly tanking and one team, Buffalo, was even willing to trade significant assets for a player that wouldn't play for them until the following season after surgery. Thats what happened.

I'm not sure how you can actually call Chevy Mr Dithers. It's not like He's Christy Clark or ex PM Paul Martin. He's had a plan for the team and has stuck to it no matter what. You may disagree with that plan has been, but to say that he has gotten lucky or has done a lot of hand wringing instead if actual action is just plain false

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I'm not sure how you can actually call Chevy Mr Dithers. It's not like He's Christy Clark or ex PM Paul Martin. He's had a plan for the team and has stuck to it no matter what. You may disagree with that plan has been, but to say that he has gotten lucky or has done a lot of hand wringing instead if actual action is just plain false

I'll come to Chevy's defense as well, no one knows if Chevy tested the waters for a trade of Kane after his first season as a Jet, granted that was when his value was the highest. If that was the case you don't know what was offered back.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com

I just described a scenario where our general manager waited literally years and multiple trade requests and until tensions and hatred in the locker room boiled over to the point of his teammates having to take direct action (throwing his clothes in the shower) and he had to take his own action (putting himself on IR) to force a trade.

That is textbook dithering. Ondrej Pavelec is still our starter. LOL

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I just described a scenario where our general manager waited literally years and multiple trade requests and until tensions and hatred in the locker room boiled over to the point of his teammates having to take direct action (throwing his clothes in the shower) and he had to take his own action (putting himself on IR) to force a trade.

That is textbook dithering. Ondrej Pavelec is still our starter. LOL

So I guess Yzerman and Snow dithered as well with both Drouin and Hamonic. What they did was likely no different than what Chevy did, they set a price for the player and didn't move them for less. What happened in both cases is situations changed and both withdrew their trade requests. In both cases because their GM'S didn't capitulate to their demands they both got to keep superior talent than what they would have gotten back. To me that's being smart. Chevy likely was hoping that Kane would come around, it didn't happen but Chevy was still able to get tremendous value for him anyways.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'll come to Chevy's defense as well, no one knows if Chevy tested the waters for a trade of Kane after his first season as a Jet, granted that was when his value was the highest. If that was the case you don't know what was offered back.

Yes, we can only speculate what the return would've been for an uninjured Kane who hadn't just been run off the team by his own teammates with 29 other teams in the bidding for his services instead of 1. :sarcasm:

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
So I guess Yzerman and Snow dithered as well with both Drouin and Hamonic. What they did was likely no different than what Chevy did, they set a price for the player and didn't move them for less. What happened in both cases is situations changed and both withdrew their trade requests. In both cases because their GM'S didn't capitulate to their demands they both got to keep superior talent than what they would have gotten back. To me that's being smart. Chevy likely was hoping that Kane would come around, it didn't happen but Chevy was still able to get tremendous value for him anyways.

A couple players requesting trades over a 3-6 month period; withdrawing the trade requests and publicly declaring their desire to stay vs. years of requesting trades and publicly declaring a desire to leave. Not really the same thing.

DK59

Nov 18, 2012

I do recall after year 3 there were reports that we were close to making a trade with Philly but they had cap problems that they could not work there way out of.

I suspect after the first season the focus was on getting him signed long term in advance of the lockout. And then during year 2 there were so many teams in cap trouble because of the cap being lowered it made it very hard to make significant trades.

Also there is a good argument for giving young players a few years to mature and grow up. I am sure the Jets were well aware of the issues with Kane but could also see that he had great potential and thought it made sense to exercise some patience. A reasonable level of patience and dithering are not the same thing at all. And also as you stated the absence of a trade during the first few years is not evidence that real attempts were not made. One thing we have learned about Chevy is that he is willing to make trades provided he is getting the value back that he believes is reasonable and fair. I much prefer that approach to what Boston did when they traded away Sequin for what was clearly below market value.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
A couple players requesting trades over a 3-6 month period; withdrawing the trade requests and publicly declaring their desire to stay vs. years of requesting trades and publicly declaring a desire to leave. Not really the same thing.

I missed the part where these guys were lockerroom cancers who didn't get along with their teammates and were continually engaging in minor ******baggery the whole time. :sarcasm:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yes, we can only speculate what the return would've been for an uninjured Kane who hadn't just been run off the team by his own teammates with 29 other teams in the bidding for his services instead of 1. :sarcasm:

I think that it's fairly simplistic to speculate about trade value without more proper context.

It's quite possible that Chevy hit on a perfect storm with Buffalo. They wanted a good young player, but were in a serious tanking situation. In that regard, Kane's injury actually raised his trade value for Buffalo. Being able to trade out Stafford to a team that had the cap space was a bonus for their tank. Buffalo was also one of the few teams that felt that they had the future prospects that Chevy would have prioritized in the deal. I really doubt that there were 29 teams in the position to yield 3 futures (two good prospects and a 1st rounder) for Kane. Also, I think that the Jets were highly motivated to move Bogo, not just Kane.

We can speculate all we want, but in the end the Jets received excellent value for Kane and Bogo. I'm still curious as to why some Jets fans consider that trade as an example of Chevy's incompetency.

By the way, I would bet that Kane's desire for a trade out of Winnipeg was known widely by other teams. Agents talk. I also think that the Buffalo trade was not the first that Chevy had worked on with Kane. Remember, there were a lot of teams squeezed by the salary cap around that time, including the Flyers who seemed to be one team that were keen on Kane.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

It is the same principle though especially with Drouin who pulled the hold out stunt to force a trade. Neither GM was going to take less than they deemed the player was worth even when one was being a distraction and possibly causing issues with the team.

Do you really think Chevy ignored any inquiries about Kane the 3 years prior and put his head in the sand? Given past information about how he was unwilling to lower his asks for Oduya and insisted on a first for Ladd I think it is more likely that he made it known that Kane was available for a certain price. The fact that that Kane would wasn't moved during that time imo is because no team met that price. It has nothing to do with dithering.

Be honest, do you want a GM to sell assets off for less value then the GM has deemed that they are worth or would you rather a GM stick to their guns and hold out for the price they set. It worked out well in both the Ladd and Oduya deals and he also likely got fair value for Kane despite the incident.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm more skeptical that there will be any serious repercussions to Kane's career, unless something extremely damning shows up, like the Ray Rice elevator video, that makes EK brand so toxic, that no one would be able to sign him. There's always going to be some desperate GM out their looking for a quick fix to save his own job.

EK is on the road to this, but he's not there yet.

I agree he is on the road to it. "IF" he contains the current damage, and "IF" he can clean up his off ice act, and "IF" produces on the ice he will probably be ok but it will take him time to distance himself from this ****. However, his ability to maximize contract value on his next deal is hanging in the balance here. I am not sure any GM would get desperate enough for the current Kane but there are a few wacky owners (couch cough Aquilini) that might give it a go now. If he stays the coarse he is not getting paid much when this deal runs out.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree he is on the road to it. "IF" he contains the current damage, and "IF" he can clean up his off ice act, and "IF" produces on the ice he will probably be ok but it will take him time to distance himself from this ****. However, his ability to maximize contract value on his next deal is hanging in the balance here. I am not sure any GM would get desperate enough for the current Kane but there are a few wacky owners (couch cough Aquilini) that might give it a go now. If he stays the coarse he is not getting paid much when this deal runs out.

Exactly. He may be looking at 1-2 year deals at this point. He may even be left unprotected for Vegas to pick up, Im sure he'll clean up his act there :sarcasm:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think that it's fairly simplistic to speculate about trade value without more proper context.

It's quite possible that Chevy hit on a perfect storm with Buffalo. They wanted a good young player, but were in a serious tanking situation. In that regard, Kane's injury actually raised his trade value for Buffalo. Being able to trade out Stafford to a team that had the cap space was a bonus for their tank. Buffalo was also one of the few teams that felt that they had the future prospects that Chevy would have prioritized in the deal. I really doubt that there were 29 teams in the position to yield 3 futures (two good prospects and a 1st rounder) for Kane. Also, I think that the Jets were highly motivated to move Bogo, not just Kane.

We can speculate all we want, but in the end the Jets received excellent value for Kane and Bogo. I'm still curious as to why some Jets fans consider that trade as an example of Chevy's incompetency.

By the way, I would bet that Kane's desire for a trade out of Winnipeg was known widely by other teams. Agents talk. I also think that the Buffalo trade was not the first that Chevy had worked on with Kane. Remember, there were a lot of teams squeezed by the salary cap around that time, including the Flyers who seemed to be one team that were keen on Kane.

How is a perfect storm different from dumb luck? ;)

DK59

Nov 18, 2012

I think it is because it fits the narrative that Chevy is a combination of a ditherer and a GM that is the beneficiary of good things simply falling into his lap. But at some point you have to start to realize that his patient approach does open up the possibility for good opportunities to present themselves. And clearly he has taken good advantage of the opportunities that have come up both at the draft table and in trades. There is a saying that I think is appropriate in the management of sports teams and that is that you have be lucky to be good and good to be lucky. Honestly I do think Chevy has been a combination of both of these but I also think this is the case more most successful GM's in professional sports.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think it is because it fits the narrative that Chevy is a combination of a ditherer and a GM that is the beneficiary of good things simply falling into his lap. But at some point you have to start to realize that his patient approach does open up the possibility for good opportunities to present themselves. And clearly he has taken good advantage of the opportunities that have come up both at the draft table and in trades. There is a saying that I think is appropriate in the management of sports teams and that is that you have be lucky to be good and good to be lucky. Honestly I do think Chevy has been a combination of both of these but I also think this is the case more most successful GM's in professional sport.

The opposite is just as true - the patient approach can open up the possibility to miss out on good opportunities. The Eichel/McDavid race to the bottom was pretty unique. What happens if the Kane mutiny happens the year before?

Or what if Kane decides to choke a girl in a bar before the tracksuit incident? Would waiting 3 years to trade him still be held up as an example of the virtues of patience? Lucky to be good, indeed...

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
The opposite is just as true - the patient approach can open up the possibility to miss out on good opportunities. The Eichel/McDavid race to the bottom was pretty unique. What happens if the Kane mutiny happens the year before?

Or what if Kane decides to choke a girl in a bar before the tracksuit incident? Would waiting 3 years to trade him still be held up as an example of the virtues of patience? Lucky to be good, indeed...

What if, what if, what if....the world is full of them. That works then other way as well. Fact is....the scenario played out the way it played out...and Chevy handled it the way he did. It was successful.

If it played out differently...would it not be far to assume that Chevy would have handled it differently?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
What if, what if, what if....the world is full of them. That works then other way as well. Fact is....the scenario played out the way it played out...and Chevy handled it the way he did. It was successful.

If it played out differently...would it not be far to assume that Chevy would have handled it differently?

He made the best of a bad situation - that he created for himself. Bravo! :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad