Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I would trade the other (CGY/FLA) 1st next year + Beck/Barron or Beck + Barron,

That would be my offer
Given how Hughes loves his conditions, I'd expect it would be a trade for the lesser pick of Montreal's and the CGY/FLO one, top-5 protected.

Though given how the kid is showing himself to be pain to deal with, I wouldn't go over PIT's 2nd and Barron or Harris. Probably not enough.... but most often whiny kids don't live up to their potential.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
While I agree Harris is largely irrelevant, I think claiming McGroarty has 13th overall value is pretty far out there, too - there is no way we know the entirety of the potential trade that was being discussed, so claiming anything is "factually incorrect" is no more than just your... opinion.
Why?

He was chosen 14th, captained team USA at WJC and has put up great numbers in the NCAA

Based on that, you think his value  diminished?

Why not? He'd be a huge addition to your future. Not necessarily speaking with regards to a McGroarty trade, but you don't like young players with huge upside or something?
TNSE is big on character, and this kid showed some issues in his past

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Why?

He was chosen 14th, captained team USA at WJC and has put up great numbers in the NCAA

TNSE is big on character, and this kid showed some issues in his past
Care to elaborate? Since all the fuss was made about the photo incident (for which he's apologized and tried to make amends), he's shown nothing but exceptional character.

Reactions: HabzSauce

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Why?

No, I'm just saying he was worth the 13th overall pick straight up was his opinion, not some kind of incontrovertible fact.

That being said, when prospects expect the royal treatment and a guaranteed NHL roster spot, that lowers their value.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
No, I'm just saying he was worth the 13th overall pick straight up was his opinion, not some kind of incontrovertible fact.

That being said, when prospects expect the royal treatment and a guaranteed NHL roster spot, that lowers their value.
Supply and demand

If you're a team with a guaranteed roster spot and mid 1st pick looking for a guy like Rutger, then you jump on it because he's 2 years closer to contributing than the guy you'd use that pick on

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Supply and demand

If you're a team with a guaranteed roster spot and mid 1st pick looking for a guy like Rutger, then you jump on it because he's 2 years closer to contributing than the guy you'd use that pick on
That's your opinion. Not a verifiable objective fact, like the other poster was claiming.

• Haha
Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Habs likely acquire a late first at deadline. We have a bunch of expiring contracts to move. We also could move it up to between 15-20 as a bunch of later picks. We could offer that with young D for McGroarty? Struble? Move Engstrom into his slot.

By lack of moves this summer despite tons of caproom, Habs not in playoff picture this coming season. Draft top 10 and add a McG. Still retain Florida first. Maybe move that up to 20 also as we have early 2nd to offer.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Just clarifying the reason the poster said no (I highly suspect) to Mailoux is not bc he doesn't have potential, its bc the Jets Organization are the poster child for good behavior and Mailoux past off ice actions would be a questionable choice to trade for him and many fans in the community might not like that choice. I'm not sure if its true or not, regarding how fans would react but certainly fair to wonder. 100% Management would talk about it, if they had any concerns how fans would react they wouldn't trade for him.
Montreal fans act like they got some hidden gem in mailloux. No, every team passed on him because they didn't want to touch him.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Montreal fans act like they got some hidden gem in mailloux. No, every team passed on him because they didn't want to touch him.
Ranked #35 by TSN/Bob McKenzie
Ranked #58 by McKeen’s Hockey
Ranked #50 by Craig Button
Ranked #23 by NHL Central scouting (NA skater)
Ranked #43 by Draft Prospects Hockey

So it’s not like he was *that* highly regarded prospect before the ”picture scandal” came out either, tho some teams apparently were high on him.

He did have a very good season in the A, but i doubt that’s enough to up his value by a huge amount.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Ranked #35 by TSN/Bob McKenzie
Ranked #58 by McKeen’s Hockey
Ranked #50 by Craig Button
Ranked #23 by NHL Central scouting (NA skater)
Ranked #43 by Draft Prospects Hockey

So it’s not like he was *that* highly regarded prospect before the ”picture scandal” came out either, tho some teams apparently were high on him.

He did have a very good season in the A, but i doubt that’s enough to up his value by a huge amount.
He is 3 years after the draft, so none of those rankings nor his draft position are relevant anymore. The most relevant info is that he is 21y, 6-3, 212 lbs, right-handed D who just became AHL All-Star in his first pro season and made a debut in NHL. He is progressing very well in last couple seasons, he can be mean, hard slap shot ...
He would be great addition for Jets, but I do not think Habs are willing to trade him anyway.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Best of Habs 2025 1st round pick but top 5 protected

Does that work? Or Jets want roster player absolutely?

For Jets fans laughing at Mailloux…I think this is a stupid take. Habs would need to add but Mailloux is a blue chip prospect at this point, hell of a player. But but but he took a picture of a girls shoulder and hair naked from behind when he was 16 so he’s worth nothing apparently.

• Haha

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Love how Habs fans get all defensive and indignant when their offers get refused… it’s a no..move on
This thread has devolved into the usual Habs fans offering, Jets fans refusing, Habs fans getting mad and trying to justify the offer and the player offered, then offering the same player or the same futures proposal over and over and over with Jets fans regusing over and over and over…I’d like to hear from other teams fans, but they seem to have left due to the Habs fans taking over the thread.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Care to elaborate? Since all the fuss was made about the photo incident (for which he's apologized and tried to make amends), he's shown nothing but exceptional character.
Cancel culture has no forgiveness. Once you're out of polite society, you're out.

I think Mailloux is an excellent fit for the Jets. He fills a huge need and he's ready.

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Cancel culture has no forgiveness. Once you're out of polite society, you're out.

I think Mailloux is an excellent fit for the Jets. He fills a huge need and he's ready.
Nothing to do with cancel culture and everything to do with individual character and public impression.
I don’t care that he apologized…means absolutely nothing… he did it and that’s it… he’s scum..anyone who does that is scum…I don’t care how often or how loudly they apologize….its called consequences..dont want to be scum.. dont do scummy shit

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Nothing to do with cancel culture and everything to do with individual character and public impression.
I don’t care that he apologized…means absolutely nothing… he did it and that’s it… he’s scum..anyone who does that is scum…I don’t care how often or how loudly they apologize….its called consequences..dont want to be scum.. dont do scummy shit
You just said it had nothing to do with cancel culture then right after basically said its about cancel culture lol

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
So what are the Jets expecting in return for him?
Preferably a 13-15 OA type value in NHL or almost NHL ready player… preferably with top 6C or top 4RHD potential…but top 6RW potential would also work if the player was someone the Jets really like. Other options are to package him with Ehlers and maybe more assets to get a proven NHL player that fills one of those positions.
If that’s not available, then he likely gets held onto til the TDL and possibly moved for a 1st in the next draft if there’s someone the Jets have their eye on or for trade value, but it’s far to early to be considering draft picks for him at this point. Draft is to far away and we would prefer a player to fill a need now.

Having said that…I’m not Chevy, so who knows what he’s planning, but this is what I think they should be doing.

Last edited:

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Preferably a 13-15 OA type value in NHL or almost NHL ready player… preferably with top 6C or top 4RHD potential…but top 6RW potential would also work if the player was someone the Jets really like. Other options are to package him with Ehlers and maybe more assets to get a proven NHL player that fills one of those positions.
If that’s not available, then he likely gets held onto til the TDL and moved for a 1st in the next draft.
I see. I’m sure it’s been beat to death in here but if he refuses to sign can you really expect that much? Don’t you risk him walking? Basically the only way to get his value up is starting a bidding war, no?

• Haha

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
I see. I’m sure it’s been beat to death in here but if he refuses to sign can you really expect that much? Don’t you risk him walking? Basically the only way to get his value up is starting a bidding war, no?
His only issue is he basically wants a guaranteed NHL shot.. and the Jets, rightly, aren’t willing to offer that.
There are teams interested and rumour was a deal was in place at the draft, but due to the way prospects moved around, that deal vanished. He’s a sought after player, with good stats in university and projected to be top 6 with leadership ability, so there should be a market for him regardless of when he gets moved.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
They get a mid round 2nd if he ends up walking for compensation.

So when people offer like a really late first or early second, why would you take it? I'm sure someone would come around and offer more than that. They still have 2 more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad