Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I was always a big Laine fan and I do love guys that can shoot the puck. It's sad to see him fade like he has. So much more potential than what he has shown. Especially in the last season or two.

I don't see the Jets making that move. Not even sure if the Habs do it.
Laine is so talented, but yet seems to be carrying some baggage. If he gets his head on straight what a player he could be.
He is worth the risk..............that said we have no idea on what the Jackets deem his value?

The Habs are still talking to the Jets, so they say.................McGroarty is obviously the target, but Chevy has the leverage so to speak.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Gauthier signed with Ducks, who aren't exactly a top tier organization right now. These kids just want to get in the NHL and get the clock ticking towards free agency.

100% agree, in strong teams thats not going to happen often quickly, weaker teams can put them into the lineup much faster.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Laine is so talented, but yet seems to be carrying some baggage. If he gets his head on straight what a player he could be.
He is worth the risk..............that said we have no idea on what the Jackets deem his value?

The Habs are still talking to the Jets, so they say.................McGroarty is obviously the target, but Chevy has the leverage so to speak.

Wondering if we do anything now. Zegras, Necas, Rossi, Laine, McGroarty. After adding Demidov and Hage in our pool, it changes things a bit for us.

How bad does Hughes want to move up the standings with our transition this next season? They clearly said they will not mortgage the long term vision.

* Price for Zegras and Necas are likely too high for us.
* McGroarty is getting interest from several teams. That will create stable trade value for the Jets.
* Not sure if we were ever in on Rossi.
* Laine is left. His term seems to fit our cap structure. What is the trade value they are asking? That's difficult to establish. Some of us feel it's low but what do we know? Many thought the Kings would have to pay a 1st to unload PLD.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I just took my medecine, It was such a crazy proposal to offer a 4-5 Dman and a 3-4th line center for a 2C in the future. Now my offer is a 5th round and Jake Evans. Final
Offer

2C in the future, but Mailoux is already a 4-5 Dman and Beck is already a 3rd-4th liner?

LOL

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's understandable that Jet fans think highly of him or pretend to think highly for maximum return.

For me, this is another Harris scenario. He was touted as a sure fire top 4 defenseman that just needed a season of seasoning in the NHL. He wouldn't sign unless he went strsight into the NHL. So signed him, put him in the NHL and now trying to trade him.

All their lives, these kidsget their tires pumped and naturally, they think they DESERVE to be in the NHL. Then they meet reality.

I don't want entitled brats on the Habs. If he wants a chance, sure, but if he is worthless or limited at the NHL level, what good is he to us? Or any team? Trade serious assets for him, watch him struggle and two years walk away?

Hard no unless he's valued at the appropiste risk. Dream on about Mailioux and Beck. A late 1st or early 2nd and one of our B defenseman. If that is too low, please keep him. After all, if in YOUR mind he's so valuable, why don't the Jets guarantee him that spot.

Hilarious disconnect...

• Haha
Reactions: Buffdog and Huffer

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Cold take here

Rutger will go to Jets camp and end up making the team and their problems will both be solved

He won't attend rookie camp as per Chevy, but 100% if Chevy doesn't like any of the trades being offered to him I can see Rutger signing and coming to camp in the fall. His only options are play/sign for the Jets/Moose or pray Chevy trades him or sit for two years forgoing two years of ELC NHL money and two years longer before getting big NHL money, shortening his playing career by two years. Rutger could still easily play for the Jets/Moose in the fall, depends on what Chevy gets for offers. Worst case after two years is up, Jets still get a decent 2nd rd pick. Reading this thread you see some offers barely above a 2nd rd pick so makes no sense for the Jets do that, so no rush to get a trade unless it meets Chevy's min expectations. By the reports of the Insiders, good news is 5-6 teams are interested in him, which creates demand, which helps with value and by sounds of things the Jets will get well above the 2nd rd pick they would otherwise get in two years.

The situation last year for the Jets is very different then this up coming season, Chevy has already said he's very much open to a bit of a youth movement and we could see 1-2-3 young players break into the team.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Jets fans let me know if value is crazy off on this because these situations are tough to read sometimes, but:

Necas + 2025 2nd for Ehlers + McGroarty

Add whatever is needed on either side to even it out but… feels to this Canes fan like there’s value for both sides here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad