Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Would there be any interest in Bogdan Konyushkov (Habs prospect) from Winnipeg?

21 year old, right hand shot defenseman, playing in the KHL, captain of his team - Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod - and a guy that his coach Igor Larionov relies upon heavily, playing over 24 minutes a game. In fact Larionov said (this year) that he could play in the NHL and be a key defenseman. Has a very good shot, sees the ice well, physical but needs to improve his skating stride and bulk up.

Kind of a well rounded defenseman in that he can play the powerplay, he can kill penalties, he plays a shutdown role and moves the puck well. Extremely confident, he breaks up plays and doesn’t panic, holding the puck to make a safe outlet and controlled break out passes. Projects to be a top 4 defender when he makes the jump to North America.

Say a package of Konyushkov, Justin Barron, the Calgary 1st rounder for 2025, and a 2025 3rd round pick (one of Devils or Canucks) for McGroarty?

You’d be getting a good right hand shot defenseman prospect, a decent right hand shot defender that can slot in on your bottom pair now and add some scoring, recoup a 1st rounder while adding another 3rd rounder.

McGroarty makes the Habs bigger and more skilled up front, adding an element they were lacking previously.

And as always, I’m simply asking if Jets fans think something like that would be close in value for their asset, not looking to troll or start a pissing match with anyone.
That is a very good futures offer.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The only thing Barron has over the #6D (Stanley) is that he is a RHS.
Barron has put up 30 points in 97 games vs 22 in 139 for Stanley. He's outscored Stanley at every level

It would be another story if you could say "well, yeah, but Stanley is excellent defensively" or something lol

So that, plus the right shot, means he's at least a moderate upgrade on Stanley. Not to mention that Barron has had to play on a shitty Habs team

People will hate to see this comparison, but Barron has scored at a similar clip in their limited NHL time as Ville "The Poster Boy for Mishandled Prospects" Heinola, despite Heinola outscoring him by about 25% in the AHL

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
They do but it won't be in the same position or year as next year's 2nd for the Sharks which is probably around 35 compared to that compensatory pick which will be at 56 and in 2027.
Not quite. If he walks in 2 years we get a good 2nd round pick from the NHL.

His whole thing is making the NHL asap, he's not gonna want to end up sitting out 2 years anyway.
Plus it kicks McG’s potential earnings post ELC down the road 2 years potentially costing him millions in lost income.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Any news from Winnipeg? Feel like rumors stopped since the draft
Keep in mind that this issue became known because sources across the league indicated they had heard McGroarty was being discussed in trade talks. Reporters reached out to the Jets and to McGroarty's camp to find out what was happening, but neither commented, so reporters were left to speculate. Someone in the Minnesota organization was likely one of those sources because we had an indication of what Chevy wanted in return from Minnesota on Friday. You won't hear any more leaks since Chevy absolutely will not discuss the situation in any detail and the leaker(s) are out. Unless a trade happens, or McGroarty's camp gets very impatient, we'll be in the dark.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
LMFAO…I really needed that laugh…say it again…come on…

I'm not saying that the offer you responded to makes sense, but this kind of response is very low effort. Why not make a counter-offer instead? What would it take from Montreal to get McGroarty? If nothing is interesting in your opinion on the Montreal side, mention it instead of playing the wise guy.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I'm not saying that the offer you responded to makes sense, but this kind of response is very low effort. Why not make a counter-offer instead? What would it take from Montreal to get McGroarty? If nothing is interesting in your opinion on the Montreal side, mention it instead of playing the wise guy.
As if that hasn't been tried a hundred times already in this thread. We're dealing with Montreal fans, if a Jet fan mentions anything that even comes close to being fair, it's "Winnipeg has no leverage, you're lucky we're offering this crap, well just sign him for free in 2 years". All those low effort kind of responses from Montreal fans.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Please read the last 5 pages before saying things like this.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
As if that hasn't been tried a hundred times already in this thread. We're dealing with Montreal fans, if a Jet fan mentions anything that even comes close to being fair, it's "Winnipeg has no leverage, you're lucky we're offering this crap, well just sign him for free in 2 years". All those low effort kind of responses from Montreal fans.

In all honesty I haven't taken the time to read all the pages of this thread, was there a counter-offer offered from Winnipeg fans? I'm really curious to know if there would be a possible deal between the two parties and I don't side with the "Winnipeg is in trouble and they need to quickly make a move" camp.

Please read the last 5 pages before saying things like this.
I will.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
In all honesty I haven't taken the time to read all the pages of this thread, was there a counter-offer offered from Winnipeg fans? I'm really curious to know if there would be a possible deal between the two parties and I don't side with the "Winnipeg is in trouble and they need to quickly make a move" camp.

I will.
Beck is not worth McGroarty by himself.

It was speculated Minnesota was hedging on a deal for 12th OA but reneged when Buium was still available.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00