Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

scarbrow

Nov 3, 2016
I don't know why anyone thinks McGrorty has any leverage in this situation. His only leverage or "hand to play" in this game of cards was letting the cat out the bag he wanted to be traded. Chevy is by no means obligated to fulfill this offer. He has 2 year s to wait and get a compensation 2nd round pick while in that time Rutger would be sitting on the outside looking in hoping he doesn't tank his value while losing out on a potential 6M in salary and performance bonuses and shortening his career. In fact it's in McGrorty interest financially and career wise to be open to multiple teams that could give him a shot to play next year. Otherwise he risks going back to a depleted Michigan team trying to prove himself once again. Thats a big gamble imo

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
I don't know why anyone thinks McGrorty has any leverage in this situation. His only leverage or "hand to play" in this game of cards was letting the cat out the bag he wanted to be traded. Chevy is by no means obligated to fulfill this offer. He has 2 year s to wait and get a compensation 2nd round pick while in that time Rutger would be sitting on the outside looking in hoping he doesn't tank his value while losing out on a potential 6M in salary and performance bonuses and shortening his career. In fact it's in McGrorty interest financially and career wise to be open to multiple teams that could give him a shot to play next year. Otherwise he risks going back to a depleted Michigan team trying to prove himself once again. Thats a big gamble imo
There is no way he is going back to Michigan after all this. Winnipeg is clearly having a hard time keeping prospects already, that would make their situation even worse.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Based on the reports I've seen, it wasn't McGroarty that "let the cat out of the bag" - Friedman at least found out about it as Winnipeg was talking to teams about trading him. Sure, Winnipeg could wait this out and get a 2nd round compensation pick 3 years from now, but that is a much, much worse return than they'll be able to get for him now. A 2nd round pick years from now also does little for a win-now team like Winnipeg.

Holding onto McGroarty is highly unlikely to change his decision to play for the Jets, so Winnipeg would only be doing it out of spite if they kept him until his free agency. Not sure how much college players can make with NIL's now, but with the added bonus of being UFA in 2 years there's a lot more pressure on Winnipeg than Rutger.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Think about a draft pick from the Top 20 in this draft. Michael Hage, who will be playing at Michigan with Rutger this coming year. There’s every bit the chance Hage is the better high-end skilled prospect by the end of Michigan’s season.

That’s why you have to be very careful just throwing high picks around for a player who’s likely NHL ready, but is also likely to take 2-3 years to start producing, if he ever becomes a consistent Top 6 player.

Lots of people trying to equate him with the Philly/Anaheim trade and it’s two completely different levels of prospect. He’s a good, solid prospect. He’s also not playing C in the NHL. The people thinking it would start with Grade A prospects in return, are gonna have a rude awakening when he’s actually traded.

His high ceiling is Andrew Copp…

Thats a good ceiling to have. Nobody sees him as a consistent Top line player though. Let’s be honest.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Based on the reports I've seen, it wasn't McGroarty that "let the cat out of the bag" - Friedman at least found out about it as Winnipeg was talking to teams about trading him. Sure, Winnipeg could wait this out and get a 2nd round compensation pick 3 years from now, but that is a much, much worse return than they'll be able to get for him now. A 2nd round pick years from now also does little for a win-now team like Winnipeg.

Holding onto McGroarty is highly unlikely to change his decision to play for the Jets, so Winnipeg would only be doing it out of spite if they kept him until his free agency. Not sure how much college players can make with NIL's now, but with the added bonus of being UFA in 2 years there's a lot more pressure on Winnipeg than Rutger.

I'm not sure it's spite. It's setting a baseline return. If there is a possibility of a trade, you take the baseline and then add a bit because the asset is a bit more valuable.

When the Jets have a hard time keeping players, they also can't get the reputation of getting lesser returns for assets or they'll just be walked over every time.

Reactions: scarbrow

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I'm not sure it's spite. It's setting a baseline return. If there is a possibility of a trade, you take the baseline and then add a bit because the asset is a bit more valuable.

When the Jets have a hard time keeping players, they also can't get the reputation of getting lesser returns for assets or they'll just be walked over every time.

If the Jets walk McGroarty to UFA status in 2 years, it will be a complete failure on their part. His value is well above a 2027 2nd round pick right now. Teams are most certainly offering well more than that right now. They just have to make the best deal they can, even if it might be a bit less than they could've gotten had it not come out that he's more or less requested a trade.

He's a 20-year old former 14th overall pick that has played well in his 2 seasons since being drafted. There will be plenty of teams interested in him. Jets should do just fine getting a solid return for him this offseason. The sooner the better though for them, as his value will go down the longer they hold onto him.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
If the Jets walk McGroarty to UFA status in 2 years, it will be a complete failure on their part. His value is well above a 2027 2nd round pick right now. Teams are most certainly offering well more than that right now. They just have to make the best deal they can, even if it might be a bit less than they could've gotten had it not come out that he's more or less requested a trade.

He's a 20-year old former 14th overall pick that has played well in his 2 seasons since being drafted. There will be plenty of teams interested in him. Jets should do just fine getting a solid return for him this offseason. The sooner the better though for them, as his value will go down the longer they hold onto him.

I'm sure teams are offering more, but if the Jets have a price in mind, they can't bend too much.

I'm just saying I don't believe they'd keep him out of spite. It would be because either they think they can repair the relationship or the offers aren't as good as we think they are.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I've seen offers here giving Winnipeg a 1st and a 2nd / and 1st and a Top "A" type prospect.

I would give Winnipeg picks 13 and 45 in this draft for McGroarty and be perfectly happy with that.

I'm not a Jets fan. I think a vast majority of them are being pretty reasonable in this thread, and a lot of the big offers are coming from other teams fans.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

This isn't how it works.

Winnipeg isn't trading him to be nice, or because they think he is obligated to have them trade him. They are trading him because this is the peak of his value for them. The closer he gets to free agency, the less leverage they have.

A mid 2nd two years from now is not worth very much today.

It sucks when a player doesn't want to sign with a team that rightfully drafted him, but we don't have to pretend that this scenario is something it isn't. Like Rutger is going to come back to the Jets, hat in hand, asking for a job because he flamed out in College and should have accepted their offer two years previous, now he has to go play in the SPHL for 500 a month and enjoy the amenities of living in a Birmingham motel with 4 other players in the room. That isn't going to happen.

He will go somewhere else, sign, and get what he wants because he is a top prospect and has leverage to do this. Winnipeg will be happy to trade him because playing hardball and keeping him won't help them. It just means they will get less 2 years from now when they take the compensation.

Reactions: GJF and HBK27

scarbrow

Nov 3, 2016
This isn't how it works.

Winnipeg isn't trading him to be nice, or because they think he is obligated to have them trade him. They are trading him because this is the peak of his value for them. The closer he gets to free agency, the less leverage they have.

A mid 2nd two years from now is not worth very much today.

It sucks when a player doesn't want to sign with a team that rightfully drafted him, but we don't have to pretend that this scenario is something it isn't. Like Rutger is going to come back to the Jets, hat in hand, asking for a job because he flamed out in College and should have accepted their offer two years previous, now he has to go play in the SPHL for 500 a month and enjoy the amenities of living in a Birmingham motel with 4 other players in the room. That isn't going to happen.

He will go somewhere else, sign, and get what he wants because he is a top prospect and has leverage to do this. Winnipeg will be happy to trade him because playing hardball and keeping him won't help them. It just means they will get less 2 years from now when they take the compensation.
Oh I'm not disagreeing with any of this. Jets should get a good return my post was more to quell the fact the absolute least amount they should get would be a 1st round pick for him. If they don't get at least that or a good prospect/player they just simply won't trade him as anything less they're in no rush compared to Rutger and his camp.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Think about a draft pick from the Top 20 in this draft. Michael Hage, who will be playing at Michigan with Rutger this coming year. There’s every bit the chance Hage is the better high-end skilled prospect by the end of Michigan’s season.

That’s why you have to be very careful just throwing high picks around for a player who’s likely NHL ready, but is also likely to take 2-3 years to start producing, if he ever becomes a consistent Top 6 player.

Lots of people trying to equate him with the Philly/Anaheim trade and it’s two completely different levels of prospect. He’s a good, solid prospect. He’s also not playing C in the NHL. The people thinking it would start with Grade A prospects in return, are gonna have a rude awakening when he’s actually traded.

Thats a good ceiling to have. Nobody sees him as a consistent Top line player though. Let’s be honest.
This guy definitely sees @Pavel Buchnevich

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
Whatever your offer is……..double the return for the JETS. Were talking about Chevy here.

I was really hoping he would have become a Jet though. He brings some intangibles that aren’t always there.

• Haha
Reactions: HBK27

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Oh I'm not disagreeing with any of this. Jets should get a good return my post was more to quell the fact the absolute least amount they should get would be a 1st round pick for him. If they don't get at least that or a good prospect/player they just simply won't trade him as anything less they're in no rush compared to Rutger and his camp.

Winnipeg should be in a rush to at least deal him his offseason, as his value will likely drop if they don't as he'd have even less incentive to sign with a team with just one year remaining before UFA versus two.

I don't understand what mentioning any type of rush Rutger and his camp are in has anything to do with this as they have very little control in getting him dealt.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada

Pete I usually love your posts but this is crazy to me. McGroarty just put up a season in the NCAA far better than anything Copp ever did pre-NHL. I'd say his upside more like a slightly better version of Anders Lee.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad