Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 11: Solid Return Season Completed, How Does Next Season Go For the Big Finn?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
This contract is a tough one for both sides…. Which
Jesse do we get? If I’m Jesse, what is my ceiling? In 2 or 3 years he might REALLY put it together and dominate, OR he could be back sulking in Finland, though that is looking less likely…. I think if he keeps up this pace and ends the season 30 goals 35 assists at this age, then 3/$20 makes sense. Or do you risk locking him up? Does he risk it with the cap presumably going up?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Sorry to repeat myself here, but his PP minutes are almost ridiculously low (understandably so righ now) so that's the other side of the story. I think him being able to play with good players is why he's happy enough even with that PP usage. I believe Pulju would probably have a few less points in many other team's top 6, but he'd also score some more PP points there.

It also depends on how much Holland values the role Pulju plays as some of his strengths aren't seen in the main stats (forechecking, energy, net presence, stealing pucks, working in the corners etc.). I believe those are appreciated in the team and Pulju has become a player the team doesn't want to lose. But I also do hope and believe the extension will be pretty reasonable.
We aren't talking about Yamamoto here.. Puljujarvi gets pretty good PP time alongside a dominant group.
He seems to be on PP just as much as Hyman..
Just because he hasn't made close to what Laine has made thus far doesn't mean jack when it comes to next contract. He will get 6+ if there is an offersheet with huge overpayment ala Kotkaneimi ..

5M should be fair for both sides..

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
We aren't talking about Yamamoto here.. Puljujarvi gets pretty good PP time alongside a dominant group.
He seems to be on PP just as much as Hyman..
Just because he hasn't made close to what Laine has made thus far doesn't mean jack when it comes to next contract. He will get 6+ if there is an offersheet with huge overpayment ala Kotkaneimi ..

5M should be fair for both sides..

I'm happy if the contract is extremely reasonable. But there's no denying Pulju's PP usage is low. I don't know how to attach a stat here but if you look at the top scorers (I checked the top 50 players) Pulju's PP time is very low compared to the others. The top guys seem to average about 3:30-4:00 per game, some even more. Pulju has 1:34, Hyman 2:11.

Most of the time Pulju steps in when the puck is in the own zone so in practise the difference is even more as bringing the puck up makes the percentage of the offensive time less. Like I said things are fine enough, but I like to talk about things as they are and so far Pulju's PP time in the Oilers has been very limited.

Yamamoto hasn't got PP time this season but earlier his PP time has been around the same as Pulju or maybe a bit more. Here's Pulju's PP times (per game) in the earlier Oilers seasons:

0:49 (12th in the team)
0:44 (18th)
0:26 (22nd)
1:06 (8th)

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerchon and Bruhin

OilWagon

Jul 20, 2019
Edmonton
I'm happy if the contract is extremely reasonable. But there's no denying Pulju's PP usage is low. I don't know how to attach a stat here but if you look at the top scorers (I checked the top 50 players) Pulju's PP time is very low compared to the others. The top guys seem to average about 3:30-4:00 per game, some even more. Pulju has 1:34, Hyman 2:11.

Most of the time Pulju steps in when the puck is in the own zone so in practise the difference is even more as bringing the puck up makes the percentage of the offensive time less. Like I said things are fine enough, but I like to talk about things as they are and so far Pulju's PP time in the Oilers has been very limited.
Oilers score so quickly and often you can't compare their PP time completely across the board to players on other teams IMO. Have to look at % of teams PP time. Generally one of Hyman or Pulju is out on the net front so he's getting close to 40% of the time based on the numbers you posted.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Oilers score so quickly and often you can't compare their PP time completely across the board to players on other teams IMO. Have to look at % of teams PP time. Generally one of Hyman or Pulju is out on the net front so he's getting close to 40% of the time based on the numbers you posted.

As I wrote in his first years his PP time was the 12th, 18th and 22nd highest of the team. Last year it was a bit better, the 8th.

It's true the Oilers score quickly and this year the difference to the top guys has been less, but it's still clear. Here's the PP time of some top guys:

2020-2021:
Drai 4:13
Nuge 4:12
McDavid 4:11
Barrie 3:29
Chiasson 2:59
----------------
Pulju 1:06

2021-2022 so far:
Drai 3:39
McDavid 3:37
Nuge 3:31
Barrie 3:06
--------------
Pulju 1:34

The first unit gets to the action earlier as they don't have to bring the puck from the own zone. The 2nd unit wastes a bigger part of their time so the actual differences are higher. If Pulju gets a minute of PP time per game in the 2nd unit a big part of that actually goes outside of the offensive zone. But I'll drop this here now.

Reactions: Easternbull

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park

The Oilers powerplay very rarely utilizes Hyman or Pulju when they're open in front of the net. 98% of the time the puck is passed around the outside looking for a one timer. Very rarely does the pass ever come to Hyman/Pulju

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
If Pulju can keep his high-energy, physical and defensive game rolling, he'll be a very valuable player. Playing alongside McDavid makes sure the points will come. Allowing McDavid just a tiny bit more freedom with the puck is hugely beneficial.

I'm not saying Jesse is near Kurri's caliber as a player, but I always liked this quote (I'm paraphrasing since I forgot who said it):

"Kurri's ability to cover for Gretzky's defensive assignments is the most impressive non-statistical offensive feat of the 80's"

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
That clapper goal will boost his confidence to new level. :thumbu:
Jesse can beat NHL defenders with force and reach at the corners and skate away with the puck or give good passes to #97 and #29. He can fly by defenders on the rush with his speed, reach and lately improved puck handling.
He can beat NHL goalies from the distance and definitely should use his shot more. If not goals, they usually give fat rebounds as he shoots hard and low most of the time.
By the way does someone has shooting card pic for Jesse?
When he goes in the front of the net it is time when defenders are most troubled. His size, hockey IQ and reach let him keep his stick open for tips and putting rebounds in. There isn't many defenders who can move him away with legal manners.
What impress me most is his agility drills with Connor, he definitely wants to improve his weaknesses and if with better dangling/deking ability he will go to next level and that also improves his stability.

I have always believed there is NHL top6 forward in Jesse but he is more than likely suprising me aswell, positively.

Regarding next contract, what you guys think about Barries contract for JP? Would give extra time for both parties to look what we have here and time for cap to rise as well as bad contracts go into history books.

Reactions: Geardedandbearded

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Even if Pulju finishes with 60+ points I don’t see how he is worth more than 5m per season. He is playing with McDavid and Draisaitl. We need to stop paying players for what they produce with the two best in the world. He is a good top 6 winger but we know the stats are inflated.

Batherson’s contract would be reasonable. Mind blowing to me how some people think he will get more than Nuge even. Why should he?

If Pulju scores 60+ with his tools, age& still potential to improve he’d get easily easily more than 5 on the market.

At that point 5 is a discount.
Yeah he plays with McDavid but he works so damm hard every game and even if he was on the 3rd line he’d be doing those same things and creating regularly scoring chances.
McDavid doesn’t change those.

(Pulju is also valuable in making McDavids life easier with his constant work without the puck)

On another team he could be playing on the top line as well and would be a regular on pp so I don’t see how his points would see that big of a drop.
Now he has 12 in 10, I’d bet he’d have 8-10 points on another good/elite team with the way he has played.

& As mentioned and known you don’t pay Pulju just for his offense.

Right now it's below. And keep in mind the UFA vs RFA aspect. Pulju should come in below both.

Man Oilers fans sure like to negotiate against themselves... I don't get it, it's like overpaying for an asset is fun or something.

As mentioned above the game has changed.

With Pulju at 24y next summer on a longterm deal you are buying his prime, the most valuable years including multiple UFA prime years.

I really hope he could push for 70-80 points this season, it would be unreal and to think he has still room to develop

Last edited:

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
311E42AA-8D64-4E83-921B-C189502E1F57.png

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think Tuch's deal with Vegas is a reasonable comparison.

Thankfully as others have pointed out, playing with McDavid is inflating his value and should assist with the Oilers contract negotiations. It is definitely legitimate, because every other team in the league would be using the same thing to negotiate.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think Tuch's deal with Vegas is a reasonable comparison.

Thankfully as others have pointed out, playing with McDavid is inflating his value and should assist with the Oilers contract negotiations. It is definitely legitimate, because every other team in the league would be using the same thing to negotiate.

How would Tuch contract be fair? (Unless Puljus game sees a major drop which I don’t want to see)

He signed it in 2018 after 1 37 point season.

RPM1975

Aug 22, 2021
If you could lock him up for 6x8 go for it, that's if we have that much cap available. Someone probably has to go next year I would assume Barrie?

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Maybe people around here missed this but a Finn on reddit translated an interview Pulju did. It gives a better idea of how he feels things are going here and what his thoughts are beyond the few words he says to the media here. He may come across as a loveable goofy guy but he's clearly put a lot of thought into his role. It's a good read.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
If you could lock him up for 6x8 go for it, that's if we have that much cap available. Someone probably has to go next year I would assume Barrie?

We have the space, but have minimal money to bring in additional pieces and also need to sign Yamo and a goalie.

The good thing for Edmonton is they have players to fill these spots on ELCs for a few years.

Holloway (Top 9F)
Bourgault (Top 9F)
Broberg (3LD)
Samorukov (3LD)
Skinner (Platoon G)

All players on ELC money that will fill the holes, and they will likely exceed performance relative to contract cost. It's a good position to be in with our money the way it is.

I see Jesse getting paid, Yamo maybe takes another short bridge, and we try to spend on a goalie while losing Krussell, Turris, Koskinen and some dead cap. We may need to move on from Barrie or Kassian if we want to spend on a tender.

Reactions: Whyme

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Maybe people around here missed this but a Finn on reddit translated an interview Pulju did. It gives a better idea of how he feels things are going here and what his thoughts are beyond the few words he says to the media here. He may come across as a loveable goofy guy but he's clearly put a lot of thought into his role. It's a good read.

Thanks for the share. Love the quote about McDavid and Drais demands for perfection and winning. Those are type of guys you want to lead your team.

Puljujarvis jersey will be added to my collection in short order (waiting on a logn term deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad