Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 11: Solid Return Season Completed, How Does Next Season Go For the Big Finn?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Just wanna say, I loved Jesse slapshot goal, man vintage 80´s clapper. I just love stuff like that
No kidding, looked like Reggie Leach or the Big M coming in off the wing, and blasting one by the goalie. You just don't see that much anymore these days.

Reactions: Whyme and PulYou

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
So what does an extension look like? Short term so we don’t see too high of a number while we still try to crawl out of the Chia mess is what I’m thinking.

3 years, 18 mil (6 per) should be able to get it done. The buyouts would all be off the books, as would every Dman not named Nurse. Would have to re up Drai that same year though.

The incentive for Pulju would be 27 and potential UFA status. We’d only buy up 1 year of his UFA.

Reactions: Klimando Kostani

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Longest term possible. At whatever AAV it takes to convince him and his agent to stay in a great and positive environment where he is loved and his on-ice performance is supported by an Uber-talented team. After this contract, he’ll be so valuable playing on this team that he can sign a monster UFA contract as well.

Studz

Jun 20, 2015
City of Champions
What a beast Puljujarvi is. Even when not scoring he is causing havoc with the forecheck and his defensive awareness is off the charts. I think he is a big reason why McDavid's scoring has reached the next level. McDavid is spending more time with the puck and less time defending because that is how good Puljujarvi is on both the forecheck and in the D-Zone.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
So Jesse is now the 17th (tied) in the scoring stats, but only one player in the top 50 has got less PP time. Almost everyone has averaged about twice as much or even much more PP time.

He's been a bit unlucky in this regard. First there was a coach who tried just about anyone else there and now the PP is working amazingly well and there are other players that get the big minutes.

I know this is a topic some don't like to talk about, but I think most similar prospects wouldn't take this as well at this stage of their careers. If he couldn't play with such amazing players and if there wasn't such a great thing going in the Oilers he'd possibly want to go to a team that could use him more on the PP. I believe that's almost any other team in the NHL. But fortunately he seems very happy in the Oilers and you never know, an injury (which I'd never hope) could open him more PP chances at some point.

Reactions: Biltmore

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I have no reason to think this but...

I feel like Jesse will take a reasonable deal. He seems to like hockey and being comfortable. The town loves him, the team is winning, he is appreciated, and is gelling.

I think he takes a reasonable deal to keep this going.

Except one thing. He has an agent.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
What a beast Puljujarvi is. Even when not scoring he is causing havoc with the forecheck and his defensive awareness is off the charts. I think he is a big reason why McDavid's scoring has reached the next level. McDavid is spending more time with the puck and less time defending because that is how good Puljujarvi is on both the forecheck and in the D-Zone.

It's nice to read comments from other teams fans, it seems they are slowly noticing Pulju and his size and reach. Like these from Colorado's section:

- I'm at the Oilers-Rangers game. Poolparty has been quite impressive for the Oilers. His reach is incredible.

- People didnt wanna trade Jost for him a few years ago. Yah.

- Yeah he looks great. So smart around the front of the net and he is impossible to move.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
At 6 per it better be a 8 yr deal.

I don't think he makes more than Nuge of Hyman so somewhere around a 5 x 5 deal +/- a year, +/- 500k

Nuge and Hyman aren’t really good comparisons. Both contacts have at least 3 years where the player would likely enter a decline in play. An 8 year deal for Jesse is buying up his entire prime. Not to mention he hasn’t made much money yet in his career. Nuge had $44 million in career earnings leading up to his extension.

I’m with you that I’d like to see him sign an 8 year deal in the 5-6 per range, and undoubtedly his numbers get inflated due to who he plays with, but no agent in his right mind is settling for less than what they deem is market value. An 8 year deal probably looks like 7.5 per.

Reactions: PulYou

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Except one thing. He has an agent.

I forgot that having an agent means the player has no say in their future...

I will admit this is why they have agents to make their case. But at the end of the day the guy signing the contract is Jesse and Jesse will be fully aware that if he pushes for too much money he could price himself out of playing here.

He may end up taking the same or less money elsewhere. Or even if he got a raise to play elsewhere he has already seen what it is like playing somewhere he doesn't gel andhr was willing to railroad his career over it.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Nuge and Hyman aren’t really good comparisons. Both contacts have at least 3 years where the player would likely enter a decline in play. An 8 year deal for Jesse is buying up his entire prime. Not to mention he hasn’t made much money yet in his career. Nuge had $44 million in career earnings leading up to his extension.

I’m with you that I’d like to see him sign an 8 year deal in the 5-6 per range, and undoubtedly his numbers get inflated due to who he plays with, but no agent in his right mind is settling for less than what they deem is market value. An 8 year deal probably looks like 7.5 per.

It's true, but on the other hand he's just about the only player in the TOP-50 who gets very minimal PP time. People often remind playing with players like McDavid increases his points, but forget that very limited PP time does the opposite. There are many teams that would probably place the current Pulju with good players (of course not McDavid good) and use him regularly on the PP.

But I agree with what you wrote, those are correct points about Nuge's and Hyman's contracts. A long contract might take something like you wrote as it's quite a commitment. Pulju seems genuinly happy in the Oilers so I'm sure they'll get a deal that's good enough for both parties.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Still hope for the Batherson deal but the likelihood of that happening is becoming more remote every game. (I think taking that deal was a huge mistake by Batherson.)

If I were Pulju's agent, I would ask for either 7M x 8 or 5M x 3. At any rate, whatever the term, I bet Pulju's next deal starts with no less than 5.

Reactions: PulYou

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Even if Pulju finishes with 60+ points I don’t see how he is worth more than 5m per season. He is playing with McDavid and Draisaitl. We need to stop paying players for what they produce with the two best in the world. He is a good top 6 winger but we know the stats are inflated.

Batherson’s contract would be reasonable. Mind blowing to me how some people think he will get more than Nuge even. Why should he?

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Even if Pulju finishes with 60+ points I don’t see how he is worth more than 5m per season. He is playing with McDavid and Draisaitl. We need to stop paying players for what they produce with the two best in the world. He is a good top 6 winger but we know the stats are inflated.

Batherson’s contract would be reasonable. Mind blowing to me how some people think he will get more than Nuge even. Why should he?

Sorry to repeat myself here, but his PP minutes are almost ridiculously low (understandably so righ now) so that's the other side of the story. I think him being able to play with good players is why he's happy enough even with that PP usage. I believe Pulju would probably have a few less points in many other team's top 6, but he'd also score some more PP points there.

It also depends on how much Holland values the role Pulju plays as some of his strengths aren't seen in the main stats (forechecking, energy, net presence, stealing pucks, working in the corners etc.). I believe those are appreciated in the team and Pulju has become a player the team doesn't want to lose. But I also do hope and believe the extension will be pretty reasonable.

Reactions: PulYou and Studz

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
So what does an extension look like? Short term so we don’t see too high of a number while we still try to crawl out of the Chia mess is what I’m thinking.

3 years, 18 mil (6 per) should be able to get it done. The buyouts would all be off the books, as would every Dman not named Nurse. Would have to re up Drai that same year though.

The incentive for Pulju would be 27 and potential UFA status. We’d only buy up 1 year of his UFA.

8 years 48 million

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This is how I see it aswell. As long as puljujarvi production doesn’t blow out hymans or rnh his aav should be very comparable
Right now it's below. And keep in mind the UFA vs RFA aspect. Pulju should come in below both.

Man Oilers fans sure like to negotiate against themselves... I don't get it, it's like overpaying for an asset is fun or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad