Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 11: Solid Return Season Completed, How Does Next Season Go For the Big Finn?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
And it also depends who is on the ice when the PP is drawn it seems.

I have zero issue with Jesse PP time this year because if it’s not him out there it’s pretty much always Hyman instead. What was annoying in the past was seeing guys going straight from being healthy scratches for multiple games to being instantly placed on the top PP unit. Holland having the off-season he did, has made us a better team.
Like I said I don't mean to complain about the big picture, but so far the fact is Pulju haven't got much PP time in the Oilers no matter how we turn it, hopefully it'll change as the season goes on.

Imagine Drai being placed as the net presence at the beginning. He could average just a minute of PP time per game "because there's Chiasson, Neil, Hyman or whoever" or maybe get lots of it. As years go by he might start wondering if he's ever allowed to use his playmaking skills and amazing one-timer in the Oilers. The Oilers PP also probably wouldn't be as good today and the fans wouldn't even know what kind of talent they are missing.

I believe Pulju could have world-class skill as the shooter/QB position as he used to be very special in that role. I sometimes feel the world is crazy when I'm just about the only one who seems to even remember that :) I've been waiting to see that in the NHL for over five years now, but me talking about this doesn't mean I think Pulju isn't in a very good position all things considered.
Ignore his entire time before Tippett.

Tippett didn’t use him much last year because he was trying to get him up and going 5v5. See what he is as a player, and be able to play him lots there. He didn’t feel the need to put him on the Pp because the PP was working and Pulju was slowly building confidence. He is being used there now cause Tippett has seen the player he is 5v5, is confident in him there and now he can give him PP time as well.

Pulju is a player this org has tried to rush and Tippett is giving him what he thinks he can handle when he thinks he can.

our PP doesn’t need another shooter QB kind of guy. They need a guy to clean up the stuff in front of the net. If Pulju wants PP time that’s the guy he needs to be there. Barrie is the QB from the point and McDrai are the shooters.

Reactions: ujju2 and Whyme

Studz

Jun 20, 2015
City of Champions
Like I said I don't mean to complain about the big picture, but so far the fact is Pulju haven't got much PP time in the Oilers no matter how we turn it, hopefully it'll change as the season goes on.

Imagine Drai being placed as the net presence at the beginning. He could average just a minute of PP time per game "because there's Chiasson, Neil, Hyman or whoever" or maybe get lots of it. As years go by he might start wondering if he's ever allowed to use his playmaking skills and amazing one-timer in the Oilers. The Oilers PP also probably wouldn't be as good today and the fans wouldn't even know what kind of talent they are missing.

I believe Pulju could have world-class skill as the shooter/QB position as he used to be very special in that role. I sometimes feel the world is crazy when I'm just about the only one who seems to even remember that :) I've been waiting to see that in the NHL for over five years now, but me talking about this doesn't mean I think Pulju isn't in a very good position all things considered.

I too remember seeing Puljujarvi in the Ovechkin spot on the PP in the under 18s worlds and he was deadly. Imagine an oilers PP with him and Draisaitl as a double threat for onetimers.

If we replaced RNH with Puljujarvi we would finally see the full reason he was such a highly prized prospect. The only problem with doing that is RNH would score about 5-6 goals and would be exposed for the very average player he is.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Ignore his entire time before Tippett.

Tippett didn’t use him much last year because he was trying to get him up and going 5v5. See what he is as a player, and be able to play him lots there. He didn’t feel the need to put him on the Pp because the PP was working and Pulju was slowly building confidence. He is being used there now cause Tippett has seen the player he is 5v5, is confident in him there and now he can give him PP time as well.

Pulju is a player this org has tried to rush and Tippett is giving him what he thinks he can handle when he thinks he can.

our PP doesn’t need another shooter QB kind of guy. They need a guy to clean up the stuff in front of the net. If Pulju wants PP time that’s the guy he needs to be there. Barrie is the QB from the point and McDrai are the shooters.

dont think anyone is saying that Jesse should be QBing the PP…(edit: oh wow, someone actually was, my bad) His work as a net front guy is pretty good, it’s how he scored in the season opener. He creates a ton of space and demands a lot of defensive attention when he parks himself infront.

Last edited:

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
So great to see Jesse in top 10 for scoring (even if it's only after three games).
Also, enjoy 1980s Finnish technology:
1970s British technology:

upload_2021-10-20_10-19-40.png

Last edited:

Pusse Jeljejarvi

May 21, 2021
Big news!

According to this interview, Jesses odd looking helmet is just about his personal preference to use a smaller sized helmet. He likes to have his helmet, just like his hats positioned on top and back of his head. Folks at Edmonton tried to offer him a larger helmet, but it did not feel right. Apparently his mom keeps bugging him about the looks.

Blessed goofy giant.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Woah, it's been like 15 years since I checked scores & stats from text-tv :laugh: hopefully the bison can keep this up!
lol, text-tv, didn't know it still existed :D

would look up text-tv 377 for game scores every morning before school

still works lol

svt.png
I use the internet version of teksti-tv nowadays to check the scores. It's simple and quick and suits my purposes. I mean, if you go to nhl.com to see the scores it takes so much more time to navigate to the information I need. If I need more advanced stats, I will use other sources :laugh:

As a kid during the late 90s and early 2000s my mornings always started with teksti-tv 235 :nod:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I like his penalty last night on Zegras(?). Jesse has been too nice of a player for too long. Just one for tool for his toolbox. A bit of a mean streak here and there is good. Will also make people take note around the league that he isn't just going to take all these cheap shots.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
It's also worth noting that Jesse is playing a lot less than some others so his points/60 is the highest of the team.

Disclaimer 1: Not comparing him with McDavid's or Drai's level or saying the BK is currently as good.
Disclaimer 2: The season has just started so not saying things can't change.

I understand the season has just started so this is quite premature, but one visitor came to say how much more valuable Suzuki is so I checked how his and PLD's seasons have started. Both have higher TOIs than Pulju and have got more PP time (Pulju 1:55, Suzuki 3:05, PLD 4:43). Interesting to see how things will look after a few months.

Puljujarvi 3 games: 2+4=6 / +3 / points per 60= 6.795 / 5-on-5 points per 60 = 6.354
Suzuki 4 games: 0+0=0 / -3 / points per 60 = 0 / 5-on-5 points per 60 = 0
Dubois 3 games: 2+0=2 / -2 / points per 60 = 2.113 / 5-on-5 points per 60 = 1.407

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013
I use the internet version of teksti-tv nowadays to check the scores. It's simple and quick and suits my purposes. I mean, if you go to nhl.com to see the scores it takes so much more time to navigate to the information I need. If I need more advanced stats, I will use other sources :laugh:

As a kid during the late 90s and early 2000s my mornings always started with teksti-tv 235 :nod:
Nhl.com used to be much better like 5 years ago but they changed it and it became worse.
My mornings also started with teksti-tv before going to school :naughty:

Reactions: HockeyHistorian

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki

Mine still do :) Well, the internet version of the page but still. YLE teksti-tv is a legend, back in time it was much more varied and had much more content than the other comparable national broadcasters (it beat SVT like 6-0) - and it still going relatively strong to this day which is quite a survival tale, I guess the older folks still use it, simple and quick information in very readable form.

Last edited:

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Mine still do :) Well, the internet version of the page but still. YLE teksti-tv is a legend, back in time it was much more varied and had much more content than the other comparable national forecasters (it beat SVT like 6-0) - and it still going relatively strong to this day which is quite a survival tale, I guess the older folks still use it, simple and quick information in very readable form.

I used a digibox to store programs for years and it's recorded the text-TV of that channel alongside the programs. So it's kind of like a digital form of old newspapers to check what was going on in the world at that time.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's also worth noting that Jesse is playing a lot less than some others so his points/60 is the highest of the team.

Disclaimer 1: Not comparing him with McDavid's or Drai's level or saying the BK is currently as good.
Disclaimer 2: The season has just started so not saying things can't change.

I understand the season has just started so this is quite premature, but one visitor came to say how much more valuable Suzuki is so I checked how his and PLD's seasons have started. Both have higher TOIs than Pulju and have got more PP time (Pulju 1:55, Suzuki 3:05, PLD 4:43). Interesting to see how things will look after a few months.

Puljujarvi 3 games: 2+4=6 / +3 / points per 60= 6.795 / 5-on-5 points per 60 = 6.354
Suzuki 4 games: 0+0=0 / -3 / points per 60 = 0 / 5-on-5 points per 60 = 0
Dubois 3 games: 2+0=2 / -2 / points per 60 = 2.113 / 5-on-5 points per 60 = 1.407
And the bulk of if, not all of JP's points have been well earned. They have not been of the touched the puck before McDavid went end to end variety.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
And the bulk of if, not all of JP's points have been well earned. They have not been of the touched the puck before McDavid went end to end variety.
Bouchard's goal was bit of a fluke, so you could argue that wasn't properly earned, but then again, Kassian's second goal could as well have been Jesse's.

Reactions: PulYou and Whyme

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I like his penalty last night on Zegras(?). Jesse has been too nice of a player for too long. Just one for tool for his toolbox. A bit of a mean streak here and there is good. Will also make people take note around the league that he isn't just going to take all these cheap shots.
Only thing I don't like about it is it getting called. Zigras chops Pulju, who responds, then Pulju gets speared, and he then flattened Zigras. But the officials of course missed the dangerous spearing play. Consistent that they would. Should have been an Oilers PP, but hell, Pulju is drawing a lot of penalties as well.

Nice to have another good Finn here, its been decades.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Bouchard's goal was bit of a fluke, so you could argue that wasn't properly earned, but then again, Kassian's second goal could as well have been Jesse's.

Not too important as all players are doing the right things and being in the right areas to contribute to goals. Pulju is sure showing the willingness to be a hammer and to not be denied in any area of the ice. He's lost any hesitation, he's going to go to the paint now, and claiming the ice. He's bringing the big boy hockey which is always what I wanted from him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Then you could also argue about Drai getting points he didn’t earn…don’t think that would go over too well though lol.

fact is that both Drai and Jesse made smart plays with the puck, that ultimately ended up in a goal being scored for the Oilers. It’s not like the puck bounced of his ass at center ice and deflected to Bouch.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The goal was flukey but JP had a signficant role in making it possible. He broke out hard, took the pass from Leon and carried the puck into the offensive zone before flipping it to Bouchard.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
A bit of inflation of likes from my side, sorry, but what can I do :) Anyway, the season is early but after the way Pulju has been playing last year, in the preseason and in these threee games there's plenty of reasons for optimism. It seems his basic level is finally at the stage I've been hoping it to be. Much better consistency nowadays and it seems like there's still lots of potential in reserve.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Then you could also argue about Drai getting points he didn’t earn…don’t think that would go over too well though lol.

fact is that both Drai and Jesse made smart plays with the puck, that ultimately ended up in a goal being scored for the Oilers. It’s not like the puck bounced of his ass at center ice and deflected to Bouch.

The goal was flukey but JP had a signficant role in making it possible. He broke out hard, took the pass from Leon and carried the puck into the offensive zone before flipping it to Bouchard.
Sure. I was just playing devil's advocate. It's not like every point that McDavid, Drai or Gretzky has scored have been all that impressive, and if you start qualifying some points, it leads to a very slippery slope where you really ought to do it to all points scored by anyone.

Reactions: Whyme
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad