Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 11: Solid Return Season Completed, How Does Next Season Go For the Big Finn?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So what are you offering him?
As much as it takes for him and his agent to sign. Exact numbers? Pointless hypotheticals. But our mindset going into any discussion with Pulju should be lock him long term as soon as possible. If we had done the same for Nurse, any number below 8M would have looked like a genius move by now, and I can GUARANTEE you that Nurse and his agent would have jumped at many numbers under 8M before last season started.

Reactions: Whyme and PulYou

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
As much as it takes for him and his agent to sign. Exact numbers? Pointless hypotheticals. But our mindset going into any discussion with Pulju should be lock him long term as soon as possible. If we had done the same for Nurse, any number below 8M would have looked like a genius move by now, and I can GUARANTEE you that Nurse and his agent would have jumped at many numbers under 8M of offer before last season.
It’s not pointless hypotheticals. So what just sign him 6x6 because he had a good first two games of the season? I get what you are saying and your reasoning but there is risk to both bridging and not bridging. Also considering how good JP looks I wouldn’t be surprised if he wants to wait until the end of the season to start talking numbers.

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Tired of these bridge deals. We did that for Nurse when we should have extended him for as long as possible as soon as possible. We know Puljus an NHLer. That gives us a floor. We know he’s got a high draft pedigree, size, speed, and skill, that means there will ALWAYS be GMs interested. What this means is that long term with this player has minimal risk. So sign him for as long as you can for as cheap as you can and just get this stud into our core already.
It takes two sides to make a deal, each time an extension came up for Nurse what little was revealed by the media is that Nurse's side wanted a bridge deal cause he believed in himself and thought he could net a bigger payday down the line, it appears he played his cards correctly. You can think hey if we just offered Nurse $7.5M x 8 years instead of his $5.6M x 2 years deal he surely would of signed it, but you can't know if that is the case..

Also going to say the numbers being tossed around for young guys right now like Brady Tkachuk and Nick Suzuki are crazy and it isn't a case of thinking they can't live upto those contracts if they continue progressing, but paying full value for as of yet unrealized potential always seems like folly and furthermore till we see definite signs of the cap rising, I'm thinking being frugal is bound to pay off in time. I hope we have Andrei Svechnikov as the outer price point for Pulju unlike Suzuki and Tkachuk he's already proven he's a stud and a real difference maker out there prior to his 8 yr x $7.75M deal.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
It takes two sides to make a deal, each time an extension came up for Nurse what little was revealed by the media is that Nurse's side wanted a bridge deal cause he believed in himself and thought he could net a bigger payday down the line, it appears he played his cards correctly. You can think hey if we just offered Nurse $7.5M x 8 years instead of his $5.6M x 2 years deal he surely would of signed it, but you can't know if that is the case..

Also going to say the numbers being tossed around for young guys right now like Brady Tkachuk and Nick Suzuki are crazy and it isn't a case of thinking they can't live upto those contracts if they continue progressing, but paying full value for as of yet unrealized potential always seems like folly and furthermore till we see definite signs of the cap rising, I'm thinking being frugal is bound to pay off in time. I hope we have Andrei Svechnikov as the outer price point for Pulju unlike Suzuki and Tkachuk he's already proven he's a stud and a real difference maker out there prior to his 8 yr x $7.75M deal.
Realistic take. I know this isn't exactly to you point but Nurse with his contract holds maximum appraisal. I love both Brady Tkachuk and Nick Suzuki as players and their contracts mirror their worth but I don't think twice when placing Darnell Nurse ahead of both in importance to team and overall value of the three players as individuals, and it's not even close.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

If you listened to the Nurse interview with Spitting Chicklets that was just released last week, Nurse was very clear that it was his side that was okay with the bridge deals. It even seemed like his side WANTED bridge deals. He mentioned that his father was incensed with him for signing a bridge deal and was trying to get him to sign as long as possible for his first bridge deal, but Darnell didn't want to.

Yes, it takes two sides to make a deal. People bring up Nurse as the example of how bridge deals can bite you in the arse, but it appears a long term deal was never really an option.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
JP is a huge part of the team now and will grow and be even more so in 3 years. Pay him anything we need to get him long term i think he turns into a hossa type defensively. Even when he gets beat he uses that huge reach and length to take the puck back. hes a phenominal player and also they type of winger we have been looking for forever.

I like the way yams plays and his tenacity on the puck but if i have to choose between the 2 because of cap reasons im taking JP98 every single time

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Ya its really not close. JP is better at every facet of the game. Skating, finishing, forechecking, defensive play, size.. List goes on
i just feel like you have to acknowledge that i dont hate yams or else i have posters accusing me of wanting to throw away good players or hating him after having an off season.

none of which are true. i just think JP is a better player and IF I HAD TO i would pick 98 every single time

hes also more durable due to his massive frame

Reactions: Biltmore

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
i just feel like you have to acknowledge that i dont hate yams or else i have posters accusing me of wanting to throw away good players or hating him after having an off season.

none of which are true. i just think JP is a better player and IF I HAD TO i would pick 98 every single time

13 ;)

I agree with you on all counts

Reactions: CornKicker

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
It would be massive to get Atleast a 3 year extension matching our real best cup window, matching the remaining length on Leon’s contract. if we have to cut ties with bison king then to resign Draisaitl I think we can all live with that if we win during these next 4 years. I’d hate to lose him if he prices himself out this season, he’s going to be important to our cup chances

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019

I like that you added this as Pulju's developed game doesn't mean Yamamoto is a bad player or that he can't turn into an important piece for the Oilers.

But it's IMO expected Pulju would become a more crucial player as he was drafted at #4 and probably would've been #1 in many other years. When a player with this much basic talent keeps practising as much as Pulju does things tend go well at some point. Especially if things are fine in the city and the team, which is the case here. If he starts getting more PP time that's pretty much the last cross checked I believe.

Reactions: CornKicker

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
As much as it takes for him and his agent to sign. Exact numbers? Pointless hypotheticals. But our mindset going into any discussion with Pulju should be lock him long term as soon as possible. If we had done the same for Nurse, any number below 8M would have looked like a genius move by now, and I can GUARANTEE you that Nurse and his agent would have jumped at many numbers under 8M before last season started.

My personal wish would be that Pulju gets enough salary to finally have him constantly on the PP (rather 1st unit) as those things tend to affect and happy on the money side, but also reasonable enough for the team and to lower the pressure at possible times when things get rougher.

Drai was put with McDavid and the 1st PP unit before the extension so higher numbers obviously affected his salary, but in the end it turned out to be great for the Oilers. Without that Drai probably would've wanted a bridge deal or he'd even gone somewhere else for better chances. He also might not be the same player we now know.

That's why I would keep feeding Pulju good linemates and PP usage as that raises his confidence, helps the team and keeps him happy in Edmonton. However, I would also try to get the extension done as soon as possible. I have a reason to believe getting to play on the PP is more important to him than many realise, maybe more important than the actual money side.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019

I am partial but I'm impressed by how well Pulju has known (or been informed) which are the areas that he can and should concentrate on. In his first NHL stint the areas mentioned in the video were affecting his game. When he came to Finland they were still quite noticable, but one could see the development through the time he was here. I'm glad he's still working on those as this work has already helped him a lot.

I believe that is a big reason why he now finds the right spots much better. Earlier it took more time for him to turn and thus it took too long to get into those free spots quickly enough.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I dont think Pulju is getting more than RNH or Hyman esp being a RFA.
5x5 should be par with 400K in AAV and 1 yr in term as +/-

Reactions: Snipes45

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
I like that you added this as Pulju's developed game doesn't mean Yamamoto is a bad player or that he can't turn into an important piece for the Oilers.

But it's IMO expected Pulju would become a more crucial player as he was drafted at #4 and probably would've been #1 in many other years. When a player with this much basic talent keeps practising as much as Pulju does things tend go well at some point. Especially if things are fine in the city and the team, which is the case here. If he starts getting more PP time that's pretty much the last cross checked I believe.
We should still be hoping for the best possible season for yams even if we plan to move on from him if he costs too much, as a RFA we can trade him for picks we can look to use in upgrade trades.

Reactions: Whyme

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
My personal wish would be that Pulju gets enough salary to finally have him constantly on the PP (rather 1st unit) as those things tend to affect and happy on the money side, but also reasonable enough for the team and to lower the pressure at possible times when things get rougher.

Drai was put with McDavid and the 1st PP unit before the extension so higher numbers obviously affected his salary, but in the end it turned out to be great for the Oilers. Without that Drai probably would've wanted a bridge deal or he'd even gone somewhere else for better chances. He also might not be the same player we now know.

That's why I would keep feeding Pulju good linemates and PP usage as that raises his confidence, helps the team and keeps him happy in Edmonton. However, I would also try to get the extension done as soon as possible. I have a reason to believe getting to play on the PP is more important to him than many realise, maybe more important than the actual money side.
We have one of the best power plays in the history of the league but that’s not enough for some fanboys. As long as we bend over backwards and keep Puljujarvi happy that’s all that matters. Good grief.

Reactions: MessierII

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
We have one of the best power plays in the history of the league but that’s not enough for some fanboys. As long as we bend over backwards and keep Puljujarvi happy that’s all that matters. Good grief.

Please don't put words to my mouth. Team comes first, but it's part of the game to keep players happy enough so they want to stay in Edmonton for the prime or their careers. As long as the PP works very well it's hard to make changes.

I do think one can try different things during the preseason and think it's a bit shame it's been five years and Pulju still hasn't been tried in his natural (in other leagues and the national teams) PP position. We simply can't automatically expect players of this level to be ready to risk going through their prime years without a single chance in that area. However, I do think all in all Jesse is very happy in Edmonton and at least he seeems to be getting some PP usage as a net presence now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I am partial but I'm impressed by how well Pulju has known (or been informed) which are the areas that he can and should concentrate on. In his first NHL stint the areas mentioned in the video were affecting his game. When he came to Finland they were still quite noticable, but one could see the development through the time he was here. I'm glad he's still working on those as this work has already helped him a lot.

I believe that is a big reason why he now finds the right spots much better. Earlier it took more time for him to turn and thus it took too long to get into those free spots quickly enough.
I wonder how much of that was due to his hip injuries.

Reactions: Ippenator and Whyme

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It’s not pointless hypotheticals. So what just sign him 6x6 because he had a good first two games of the season? I get what you are saying and your reasoning but there is risk to both bridging and not bridging. Also considering how good JP looks I wouldn’t be surprised if he wants to wait until the end of the season to start talking numbers.
Consider this. Everyone who threw out a prediction for the contracts that their number 1 D man would sign (Hamilton, Jones, Nurse, Werenski, etc etc) this last off season would have been very wrong. Contracts change with the landscape and the market changes. I’m not in the business of making these types of analyses and neither is your average fan.

The market will set what a player like Pulju is worth, then you can adjust on term which affects the AAV and then of course there’s the negotiation. My point is that there’s minimal risk in signing Pulju long term, the same could have been said about Drai when he signed and everyone thought it was huge overpay. Sign Pulju fir as long as you can is there way to go period. Bridges will always hurt long term if the player is good and keeps getting better. And Pulju is that type of player. If you disagree with this assessment on Pulju, then we have a difference in scouting and opinion, but if you agree, the long term contract is 100% the way to go.

Reactions: Whyme

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
For him to get bigger money I want to see what his production is without McDavid and Draisaitl.

A lot of players could score points if you put them on that line, good for Jesse for thus far taking advantage, but that can't be the be all, end all.

Reactions: Zub and 5 14 6 1

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
For him to get bigger money I want to see what his production is without McDavid and Draisaitl.

A lot of players could score points if you put them on that line, good for Jesse for thus far taking advantage, but that can't be the be all, end all.

I'd swap him and Yamo for a bit and see how that goes.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019

Sorry, I still add a bit to this. I understand your view, team comes first. But it's not black and white. Teams also need to keep the best players. And if the PP is excellent it might always get even better.

I believe practically all similar top prospects require PP usage, at least after five years from they started in the NHL if they are among the best goal scorers of the team. If they don't get it they change the team or at least request more money to compensate. I also don't think Drai would've signed the current deal if he hadn't got PP time when he was still steps away from the current level.

However, I think the Oilers are in a better situation with Jesse. He will probably be happy to stay in Edmonton especially as he gets to play with McDavid and Drai. I think the length of the extension depends on how things are going in the Oilers and this does include the PP usage as that used to be one of Pulju's best strengths earlier. You can call me a fanboy all you want, but I am sure those kinds of things affect in the background.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Sorry, I still add a bit to this. I understand your view, team comes first. But it's not black and white. Teams also need to keep the best players. And if the PP is excellent it might always get even better.

I believe practically all similar top prospects require PP usage, at least after five years from they started in the NHL if they are among the best goal scorers of the team. If they don't get it they change the team or at least request more money to compensate. I also don't think Drai would've signed the current deal if he hadn't got PP time when he was still steps away from the current level.

However, I think the Oilers are in a better situation with Jesse. He will probably be happy to stay in Edmonton especially as he gets to play with McDavid and Drai. I think the length of the extension depends on how things are going in the Oilers and this does include the PP usage as that used to be one of Pulju's best strengths earlier. You can call me a fanboy all you want, but I am sure those kinds of things affect in the background.
He's been getting plenty of PP usage. He'll switch as the net-front guy along with Hyman, who is also a very good player just as deserving of PP time.

I'm sure he'll embrace the opportunity to play in the best powerplay of all time, rather than hope 30 secs more PP time in Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad