Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 11: Solid Return Season Completed, How Does Next Season Go For the Big Finn?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
He's been getting plenty of PP usage. He'll switch as the net-front guy along with Hyman, who is also a very good player just as deserving of PP time.

I'm sure he'll embrace the opportunity to play in the best powerplay of all time, rather than hope 30 secs more PP time in Arizona.

Well for this season it's too early to say much. So far he's averaged 1:15 of PP, which is a bit over 1/3 of the top guys.

Last season he averaged 1.06 , which was 1/4 of the top guys (including Nuge), about 1/3 of Chiasson and in practise less as it takes some time to get the puck to the offensive zone. Pulju also hasn't been a part of the best PP earlier as he's played in the 2nd unit. But we'll see how it goes this season. I would also like to see him get a chance in his "own" place as a shooter/QB role.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Well for this season it's too early to say much. So far he's had 1:15 of PP, which is a bit over 1/3 of the top guys and 1/2 of Nuge's time.

Last season he averaged 1.06 , which was 1/4 of the top guys (including Nuge), about 1/3 of Chiasson and in practise less as it takes some time to get the puck to the offensive zone. Pulju also hasn't been a part of the best PP earlier as he's played in the 2nd unit. But we'll see how it goes this season. I would also like to see him get a chance in his "own" place as a shooter/QB role.
It's difficult to break in there with a powerplay that is such a statistical anomaly. He could eventually break in the #1 PP as a mainstay guy... don't think they'll do it full time in his contract year unless he demonstrably and
undeniably drives the needle better than the alternative.

But, if he plays the year on a line with McDavid AND Draisaitl, along with some PP time, it's fair to say
that his numbers will probably have been higher than in a normal team no matter how much PP usage he got.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
1 year bridge deal, if he blows the doors off this year and next year. Oilers should have enough in 2 years to extend him long term.

That would be perfect because it's going to be so tight this offseason and not so much thereafter but Puljujarvi has no reason to do that if he has a big year.

I also don't see him signing long term during the offseason if he really wants to bet on himself so Holland will likely have to bite the bullet on this one in the offseason give Pulju his money and probably go cheap with goaltending again. Maybe Skinner will be ready next season?

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
It's difficult to break in there with a powerplay that is such a statistical anomaly. He could eventually break in the #1 PP as a mainstay guy... don't think they'll do it full time in his contract year unless he demonstrably and
undeniably drives the needle better than the alternative.

But, if he plays the year on a line with McDavid AND Draisaitl, along with some PP time, it's fair to say
that his numbers will probably have been higher than in a normal team no matter how much PP usage he got.

Maybe, but it's hard to say as lack of PP time really affects the points a lot. I personally believe there are several teams that would put Pulju to the 1st line and and their first PP unit, which could also be a great opportunity to score points.

What I'd hope as a "fanboy" is that he could at least be tried in the QB/shooter's role as he isn't playing so much PP currently that he couldn't play a bit more. The Oilers tried that in one preseason game (one period I think) in his first NHL stint and according to the comments Pulju was doing very well. He's a better player with more confidence now so I think he could be one of the best in that role. At least it'd be worth trying.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
That would be perfect because it's going to be so tight this offseason and not so much thereafter but Puljujarvi has no reason to do that if he has a big year.

I also don't see him signing long term during the offseason if he really wants to bet on himself so Holland will likely have to bite the bullet on this one in the offseason give Pulju his money and probably go cheap with goaltending again. Maybe Skinner will be ready next season?

I think there are ways even without using a cheaper goalkeeper option. They already pay Pulju something so they don't have to find the whole amount. The cap also rises slightly. Then they could probably trade Kassian (pack with a 2nd, 3rd or something) and replace him with someone tough enough but cheaper (maybe someone like Komarov). They can also save almost a million by replacing Turris with e.g. Holloway. Maybe Keith will retire and they'll replace him with someone cheaper. Then there's the possibility of trades.

What I'm saying is I don't think next year's cap issues will be a good enough reason for the Oilers to aim for a short deal.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Maybe, but it's hard to say as lack of PP time really affects the points a lot. I personally believe there are several teams that would put Pulju to the 1st line and and their first PP unit, which could also be a great opportunity to score points.
I can't help but think of Laine's trade request in a search for bigger role. It didn't work out very good.

Grass is most likely not greener on the other side, in this situation.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I can't help but think of Laine's trade request in a search for bigger role. It didn't work out very good.

Grass is most likely not greener on the other side, in this situation.

Yeah it doesn't always work, though we'll have to wait and see how things go with Laine. He may well be happier in Columbus as he may like a team that wants to build things around him.

It also isn't that simple as I'm pretty sure Drai wouldn't be in the Oilers now if he'd got as little PP time. I'm also sure lots of prospects would've demanded a trade/accepted offer sheets with as little PP time as Pulju has got.

I think we also need to try to step into players shoes. They devote their life to practising and playing hockey and sometimes they really want to show what they can do, especially after all the difficulties Pulju has had earlier. Can we really expect him to spend his prime years with minimal PP time and completely away from the spot in which he was maybe even the very best of his age group prior to the NHL. If we look at old clips Pulju's work in that spot was just beautiful, I would just like to see him get a shot in that before years go by and it's suddenly too late. Other than that the Oilers is a wonderful place for Pulju now.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
It also isn't that simple as I'm pretty sure Drai wouldn't be in the Oilers now if he'd got as little PP time. I'm also sure lots of prospects would've demanded a trade/accepted offer sheets with as little PP time as Pulju has got
All due respect, but you need to dry up about the PP minutes. It’s not even a matter of serious importance. Puljujarvi is playing with more confidence than I’ve ever seen him display and scoring like a boss 5on5. Look how happy he is right now. I haven’t seen better cellys and post game interviews in years. And you’re talking about how he isn’t getting enough PP minutes? Take a breath man, we are two games into the season.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think there are ways even without using a cheaper goalkeeper option. They already pay Pulju something so they don't have to find the whole amount. The cap also rises slightly. Then they could probably trade Kassian (pack with a 2nd, 3rd or something) and replace him with someone tough enough but cheaper (maybe someone like Komarov). They can also save almost a million by replacing Turris with e.g. Holloway. Maybe Keith will retire and they'll replace him with someone cheaper. Then there's the possibility of trades.

What I'm saying is I don't think next year's cap issues will be a good enough reason for the Oilers to aim for a short deal.

With the Klefbom LTIR and cap rise, it'll be approximately $11m to sign Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, McLeod, goalie and a few depth players.
Assuming that Puljujarvi makes, at minimum, $5m which might actually be a bit conservative at this rate, that leaves $6m for Yamamoto, McLeod, goalie, plus roster filler.
Yamamoto might be trade bait if Holloway is ready to make the jump so maybe they can fill one of the other holes with the Yamamoto return but it'll be tight because that player will have a salary that they have to fit in too.

In any event, it's a good problem to have if Pulju is indeed, the real deal.

Reactions: Biltmore and Whyme

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I like that you added this as Pulju's developed game doesn't mean Yamamoto is a bad player or that he can't turn into an important piece for the Oilers.

But it's IMO expected Pulju would become a more crucial player as he was drafted at #4 and probably would've been #1 in many other years. When a player with this much basic talent keeps practising as much as Pulju does things tend go well at some point. Especially if things are fine in the city and the team, which is the case here. If he starts getting more PP time that's pretty much the last cross checked I believe.

i would add in the icing will be when he is playing on the PK, you add that speed size and coverage ability he is going to be a threat to score even on the PK. weaponizing the PK like boston does or montreal did in the playoffs is huge

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
All due respect, but you need to dry up about the PP minutes. It’s not even a matter of serious importance. Puljujarvi is playing with more confidence than I’ve ever seen him display and scoring like a boss 5on5. Look how happy he is right now. I haven’t seen better cellys and post game interviews in years. And you’re talking about how he isn’t getting enough PP minutes? Take a breath man, we are two games into the season.

Well I've been taking a breath all the time and I did say it's too early to say much about this season :) If I write a few messages about it it doesn't mean I'm like totally unhappy about the current situation. In fact I said I think from every other aspect I think Pulju's situation is great. But I would think it can be said aloud that at some point they will need to try him in his own PP spot or at least give him more time by the net. It's already five years since he started in the Oilers so hopefully that'll change this year.

I still emphasize I love how this season has started for him and the team so I agree with you in that regard. But if he keeps playing well and after the season we see it's been again just one PP minute per game I think we can agree it's at least a bit strange. Now let's just enjoy the games and how the season has started, this is plain terrific!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It is very early in the season but Jesse sits 6th in PP TOI for all Oilers players right now and 5th among forwards.

Jesse IS playing a key role on the PP. His role is a very difficult and taxing one so he splits time with Hyman there. Hyman has the 5th most PP TOI for all Oilers players and the 4th most among forwards.

Hyman 4:33
Puljujarvi 2:31

The next highest forward after Jesse?

Foegele 0:52

Jesse has more PP TOI than our $9.25 million core defenseman Darnell Nurse and our highly skilled young defenseman Evan Bouchard combined (2:31 vs. 2:03). Our PP is basically 2 combinations of our top PP and a makeshift 3rd PP unit for when the top unit is tired, isn't getting it done or it's late in the PP and the top unit peels off for a line change.

PP1A
RNH-Hyman-McDavid-Draisaitl-Barrie

PP1B
RNH-Puljujarvi-McDavid-Draisaitl-Nurse/Bouchard

Playing any kind of consistent time with these guys = a great opportunity to pad your stats.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It is very early in the season but Jesse sits 6th in PP TOI for all Oilers players right now and 5th among forwards.

Jesse IS playing a key role on the PP. His role is a very difficult and taxing one so he splits time with Hyman there. Hyman has the 5th most PP TOI for all Oilers players and the 4th most among forwards.

Hyman 4:33
Puljujarvi 2:31

The next highest forward after Jesse?

Foegele 0:52

Jesse has more PP TOI than our $9.25 million core defenseman Darnell Nurse and our highly skilled young defenseman Evan Bouchard combined (2:31 vs. 2:03). Our PP is basically 2 combinations of our top PP and a makeshift 3rd PP unit for when the top unit is tired, isn't getting it done or it's late in the PP and the top unit peels off for a line change.

PP1A
RNH-Hyman-McDavid-Draisaitl-Barrie

PP1B
RNH-Puljujarvi-McDavid-Draisaitl-Nurse/Bouchard

Playing any kind of consistent time with these guys = a great opportunity to pad your stats.
And it also depends who is on the ice when the PP is drawn it seems.

I have zero issue with Jesse PP time this year because if it’s not him out there it’s pretty much always Hyman instead. What was annoying in the past was seeing guys going straight from being healthy scratches for multiple games to being instantly placed on the top PP unit. Holland having the off-season he did, has made us a better team.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
unlike the other players who made sense to give bridge deals to, i think it would be in the oilers best interest to sign JP 8 years for 5ish now cause that price is only going to go up, and could go up significantly by years end

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Like I said I don't mean to complain about the big picture, but so far the fact is Pulju haven't got much PP time in the Oilers no matter how we turn it, hopefully it'll change as the season goes on.

Imagine Drai being placed as the net presence at the beginning. He could average just a minute of PP time per game "because there's Chiasson, Neil, Hyman or whoever" or maybe get lots of it. As years go by he might start wondering if he's ever allowed to use his playmaking skills and amazing one-timer in the Oilers. The Oilers PP also probably wouldn't be as good today and the fans wouldn't even know what kind of talent they are missing.

I believe Pulju could have world-class skill as the shooter/QB position as he used to be very special in that role. I sometimes feel the world is crazy when I'm just about the only one who seems to even remember that :) I've been waiting to see that in the NHL for over five years now, but me talking about this doesn't mean I think Pulju isn't in a very good position all things considered.

Last edited:

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Like I said I don't mean to complain about the big picture, but so far the fact is Pulju haven't got much PP time in the Oilers no matter how we turn it, hopefully it'll change as the season goes on.

Imagine Drai being placed as the net presence at the beginning. He could average just a minute of PP time per game "because there's Chiasson, Neil, Hyman or whoever" or maybe get lots of it. As years go by he might start wondering if he's ever allowed to use his playmaking skills and amazing one-timer in the Oilers. The Oilers PP also probably wouldn't be as good today and the fans wouldn't even know what kind of talent they are missing.

I believe Pulju could have world-class skill as the shooter/QB position as he used to be very special in that role. I sometimes feel the world is crazy when I'm just about the only one who seems to even remember that :) I've been waiting to see that in the NHL for over five years now, but me talking about this doesn't mean I think Pulju isn't in a very good position all things considered.
JC. Now you’re comparing him to Draisaitl? It’s not even close. Drai has multiple trophies, Puljujarvi has 66 points. Give it up already.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
JC. Now you’re comparing him to Draisaitl? It’s not even close. Drai has multiple trophies, Puljujarvi has 66 points. Give it up already.

I don't think hostility is needed here, it's just my opinion you know. You missed my point, maybe I wasn't clear enough so I'll try do better now:

When Drai started in the Oilers he wasn't a huge star. He's a big and physical guy so it's possible the Oilers could've decided to use him as the net presence on the PP. If that's the case we might never know how useful his one-timer and passing skills could be on the PP. It's also possible after some years Drai would want to try it in another PP position if he felt that's where his best strengths are.

Do you agree with this? We know PP used to be maybe even Pulju's best strength. We know he can be a useful guy by the net, but we don't know if he could bring some more magic to the PP from his old position. It's totally possible we'll never do at least as long as he plays in the Oilers, which I still hope is a long time.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I don't think hostility is needed here, it's just my opinion you know. You missed my point, maybe I wasn't clear enough so I'll try do better now:

When Drai started in the Oilers he wasn't a huge star. He's a big and physical guy so it's possible the Oilers could've decided to use him as the net presence on the PP. If that's the case we might never know how useful his one-timer and passing skills could be on the PP. It's also possible after some years Drai would want to try it in another PP position if he felt that's where his best strengths are.

Do you agree with this? We know PP used to be maybe even Pulju's best strength. We know he can be a useful guy by the net, but we don't know if he could bring some more magic to the PP from his old position. It's totally possible we'll never do at least as long as he plays in the Oilers, which I still hope is a long time.
Nope. Don’t agree with a lick of it. Draisaitl proved his worth, wasn’t gifted anything. He’s worked his ass off for everything he’s gotten and didn’t take his puck and go home when the going got tough.

Geardedandbearded

May 29, 2019

I followed pulju a lot u18 so I know what you’re talking about with his pp ability. I thought they may try to do a minute split between two PPs with the second designed around pulju and bouch because of it. As it stands tho it’s based around mcdrai for two minutes and that’s that. Nuge is important in their eyes for this, but pulju just needs rnh to miss some time so he gets that spot and he’ll shine. Have patience.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Nope. Don’t agree with a lick of it. Draisaitl proved his worth, wasn’t gifted anything. He’s worked his ass off for everything he’s gotten and didn’t take his puck and go home when the going got tough.

If you want to believe Drai immediately deserved to get to his own PP position so be it. He scored 2+7 (-17) in 37 games in his first season so I don't really think stats agree with that thought. Despite those points he got almost two minutes of PP per game. I think your last sentence explains why you feel so negatively in this case, but one could argue going home to work with his game was a pretty good idea in Jesse's case and one can't say he hasn't been working his ass off in in the ice since returning.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I followed pulju a lot u18 so I know what you’re talking about with his pp ability. I thought they may try to do a minute split between two PPs with the second designed around pulju and bouch because of it. As it stands tho it’s based around mcdrai for two minutes and that’s that. Nuge is important in their eyes for this, but pulju just needs rnh to miss some time so he gets that spot and he’ll shine. Have patience.

So great that someone else remembers this too :) When he was a junior he was just so clearly above the others in that spot and did very well in the FEL despite his young age. I understand they aren't removing Nuge at this stage, but I was hoping they'd use him in the 2nd PP as you said. At least they could've tried him there during the preseason, but I guess patience is the key as you said.

Reactions: Geardedandbearded

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Like I said things are going great for Pulju and the Oilers so no need to complain at this stage. The highlights show just small glimpses and don't quite give the perfect picture, but in case anyone is interested to see Pulju in another PP position there are a few examples between the times 4:30-5:00 and starting from 6:00. Now I'll let this topic be and start concentrating on the game :)

There's also some examples here (though he started the FEL season PPs on the right side), for example at 5:20 (didn't check this through, just happened to see that part and think it's a fairly good example of his natural position).

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyHistorian

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad