Recalled/Assigned: Jesse Blacker [Demoted]

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
If things remain the same Holzer will be returned once the rosters expand.

well if hes called up im wrong, and if hes not then so be it, for the record, im not a holzer hater, i was defending him to my buddy who is a wild fan and continuously said he was ****. I just think that if they sent him down and brought blacker up now, he needs to work on his game more still.

Warrior16

Apr 30, 2010
Let Kostka in tonight, then maybe get Jesse in for tomorrow's game against the Panthers? Give him some sheltered minutes so he gets a taste of the pros?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
well if hes called up im wrong, and if hes not then so be it, for the record, im not a holzer hater, i was defending him to my buddy who is a wild fan and continuously said he was ****. I just think that if they sent him down and brought blacker up now, he needs to work on his game more still.

Absolutely, IMO he's never been very good.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Holzer got a contract, he's part of the Maple Leafs future and ahead of Blacker on the depth chart for that matter as well. The only reason Blacker got the call this time is because he's not even guaranteed to start a game and, at this point, Holzer could use the minutes in the AHL to get his confidence level back up.

Like hell he is.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
So if Blacker has a good game tonight assuming he plays do we suddenly start calling him our lord and savior? :sarcasm:

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
Not going to make excuses for Holzer but we got a glimsp of his potential early on and he was good, it is important to note, he faced the highest quality of competition for D men, second to only Phaneuf. Wonder why people keep slagging the guy when he is a rookie, he's facing tougher players than Gardiner 10 fold.

Holzer was playing well when Kostka was teamed up with Phenuef. Once he got put on the first pairing his play started to nose dive.

Khobahi

Feb 13, 2013
Canada
I'm expecting Kostka to be in tonight, and i expect him to bring a good game having been PB'd for a few games now.

My guess is Blacker is there to see the environment and play if Kostka doesn't step his game up.

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago
The treatment of Komi has been nothing short of a disgrace. Good luck signing free agents now, If I had another option I know I would take it after seeing Liles Komi and Connolly. They had to run Liles and Komi until they found a buyer and didnt now they look bad. Even Connolly should have played even if it were squeezed in over some guy like Brown on the 4th or pressbox awaiting injury. They should have absorbed money (trade) let them play and made the trades but instead they devalued them all. Liles was fine, Komi was fine this year, Connolly is unknown
Yes because the Rangers have so much trouble signing free agents after what they did to Redden.

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
I don't know much about Blacker. Is he better or worse than Kostka? :naughty:

Blacker is not on the same level as Costco in the AHL, of course only one of them has any experience in the NHL so we can't compare. Jesse's having a great season with the Marlies though I don't know why people feel the need to piss on his parade here. The kid is next in line to see NHL time. Ranger doesn't want to be in the NHL, Komi was just sent down, Holzer sent down to re-discover his game, Marshall still trying to get his feet wet, Dylan Yeo doesn't deserve a call, Gysbers has been having a bad season and is hurt (I think) and Mo Riles isn't ready yet. Who the f'in else did people expect to be called up?

If a forward spot opens up in the top 9 before the end of this season, I would like to and am pretty sure we would very certainly see Joe Colborne be promoted to the biggs for a few games. The kid has earned a recall.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Blacker is not on the same level as Costco in the AHL, of course only one of them has any experience in the NHL so we can't compare. Jesse's having a great season with the Marlies though I don't know why people feel the need to piss on his parade here. The kid is next in line to see NHL time. Ranger doesn't want to be in the NHL, Komi was just sent down, Holzer sent down to re-discover his game, Marshall still trying to get his feet wet, Dylan Yeo doesn't deserve a call, Gysbers has been having a bad season and is hurt (I think) and Mo Riles isn't ready yet. Who the f'in else did people expect to be called up?

If a forward spot opens up in the top 9 before the end of this season, I would like to and am pretty sure we would very certainly see Joe Colborne be promoted to the biggs for a few games. The kid has earned a recall.

Perfect, thanks for the breakdown CIS!

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
Holzer did well at the beginning. He is a bottom 6 D guy. Give him a f***ing break. He got thrown in the fire and got burned. Won't be the last rookie to have that happen to him.

IBLEAF

In the sh-itter @ Scotia bank place
Nov 5, 2009
BARRY'S BAY
You guys are overreacting.

Holzer will be with the Leafs in due time, but right now they are trying to assess all of the players that are close to NHL ready.

Holzer had his chance but clearly need him to keep working on his game.

This doesn't mean he's done nor does it mean he won't ever a Leafs jersey ever again.

Heck he'll probably be back sometime this season. Right now though, Blacker will get his chance while Holzer keeps trying to find what made him so good at the AHL level.

Well said sir,hit the nail right on the head!!!!

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
Blacker is not a trade chip. His value isn't all that high I would imagine.

Yknow those "project" picks that everyone always wants outside of the first round? Well, he's your typical boom-bust type of prospect. Kids been good lately, giving him the reward of an NHL paycheque and practices, heck might even get a game.

I still think that Blacker figures into our future D-core somewhere.

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
Holzer passed over?

I think Carlyle wants to see some of these guys as well. I always thought this season would be one for him to become acquainted with some of the younger players. He did it with Frattin and Kadri last year; Kostca, Holzer, and now Blacker so far this year.

We'll see how this pans out though

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
You guys are overreacting.

Holzer will be with the Leafs in due time, but right now they are trying to assess all of the players that are close to NHL ready.

Holzer had his chance but clearly need him to keep working on his game.

This doesn't mean he's done nor does it mean he won't ever a Leafs jersey ever again.

Heck he'll probably be back sometime this season. Right now though, Blacker will get his chance while Holzer keeps trying to find what made him so good at the AHL level.

Every now and then there's a sane voice on these boards.

leafstilldeath*

The treatment of Komi has been nothing short of a disgrace. Good luck signing free agents now, If I had another option I know I would take it after seeing Liles Komi and Connolly. They had to run Liles and Komi until they found a buyer and didnt now they look bad. Even Connolly should have played even if it were squeezed in over some guy like Brown on the 4th or pressbox awaiting injury. They should have absorbed money (trade) let them play and made the trades but instead they devalued them all. Liles was fine, Komi was fine this year, Connolly is unknown

Agree about Komi. Have a feeling he rubbed Carlyle the wrong way. Refuse to believe that he was out performed by Holzer in practice. Komi should jave been given a chance

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Good move by the Leafs.

It'll better prepare Blacker for the off-season giving him some NHL exposure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad