Recalled/Assigned: Jesse Blacker [Demoted]

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The whole point of sending Holzer down was so that he could get some more playing time and get his confidence down. Having him sit in the press box as a 7th defenseman wouldn't do him any good.

This is just a bit of a reward to Blacker for his play this year; gets to practice and travel with the big team and maybe see a game or two of action (depending on how long Liles is out for).

Missed the most important part, $$$.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Phaneuf - Gunnar
Gardiner - Franson
Fraser - Blacker

do you guys think this is how carlyle would pair the D? Obviously blacker would play pretty safe mins and he would rely on the other 5D heavily (maybe 20+ mins each like last game?)

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Really? Yikes. If people thought Holzer looked lost, I can't imagine the venom they'll throw at Blacker. Playing sheltered minutes in the AHL doesn't really prepare you for the NHL game.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
This is just a bit of a reward to Blacker for his play this year; gets to practice and travel with the big team and maybe see a game or two of action (depending on how long Liles is out for).

And collect an NHL paycheque for a little while.

Edit: saw it was mentioned.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Jesse always had the tools, if he keeps his game simple, doesn't pretend to be an offensive defenceman, he has a chance. It's when he thinks he is more than what he is that he tends to get in trouble.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
whats the scouting report on blacker? if you were going to compare him to someone who would it be?

i hear conflicting reports that he is doing great with the marlies and not so great. id be curious to see him get into an nhl game to see if the potential is there.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
"Play the kids"

Hasn't failed us yet this year.

Eventually Marshall will get his shot, like what the Leafs are doing, rewarding time with the Marlies, I think Rielly, Marshall, and Holzer will all figure big in the Leafs future.

Could they be showcasing Blacker?

Myke

Jun 9, 2006
Toronto/Ottawa
www.myke.org
You guys are overreacting.

Holzer will be with the Leafs in due time, but right now they are trying to access all of the players that are close to NHL ready.

Holzer had his chance but clearly need him to keep working on his game.

This doesn't mean he's done nor does it mean he won't ever a Leafs jersey ever again.

Heck he'll probably be back sometime this season. Right now though, Blacker will get his chance while Holzer keeps trying to find what made him so good at the AHL level.

This was my exact thought. Holzer was up, had his time to show what hes got, and it was determined that he needs more time. Now lets see some of the other kids.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Did Blacker even play that much last night? AHl.com doesn't show TOI.

It seems more likely that he's the least valuable Marlies defenseman left with an NHL deal. I'd be surprised if he'll get to play at all or if it's supposed to be a reward for his mediocre play.

DaveT83*

Obviously someone is going to be traded from our surplus of D--Men at deadline.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gardner is moved

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
It's a reward for taking steps in his development.

Why is it that everyone always infers that it definitely means something about someone else?

Holzer was just up. He struggled to hold down his end of his pairing's bargain. It was clear he was lacking in confidence, and needed time with the Marlies to continue to work on his game. He was also easy to put down, not be subject to waivers. Liles gets games in, and plays pretty well, shows mobility, and strengthens the team's ability to move the puck. He then gets hurt, and we need an extra D-man for insurance.

You don't yo-yo Holzer. He's there working on his game. The best thing to do is exactly what Nonis did. Take a kid who has taken strides in developing his game, and reward him with a call-up. Give him a taste of life in the league. The travel, the routine, the atmosphere, and the paycheque. It's a carrot. He may get a game in, to see how he steps up to the pressure of playing with the big club, and we can all hope for the best that night. But this is going to wake up the hunger in him to really push for next year's camp. This is the kind of motivation that developing players live for.

Good for him, and I hope he makes the best of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad