Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Part 20 - Second line centre edition?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
It's the doubters that are scared shitless. Personally, I'm ecstatic and hope that KK makes the most of this opportunity and cement his role as a top-6 C.
They can’t easily scratch him this year. Unless MB acquires a fourth line C and plays him as a second liner. I could see that happening.

Reactions: Garbox

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
His time would be better spent with a power skating coach TBH.
I agree. Adding strength will help his skating, no doubt , but what he needs the most is to improve his technique and get reps practicing. Power skating.

I’ve seen post-growth spurt Midget players - limited strength- with excellent edge work. I’m not talking about board battles, just open ice agility.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
It's the doubters that are scared shitless. Personally, I'm ecstatic and hope that KK makes the most of this opportunity and cement his role as a top-6 C.

Oh believe me, I'll be more than happy to eat crow if it's ever served. Why would I be "scared shitless"? If the guy takes the next step, the Habs are better off. And, you know, I'm kind of a fan of that team.

You know what is unbearable around here? It's the ludicrous claims around here made by people who claim the guy had a progression curve worthy of a 3rd overall pick. It's people who come up with BAGS of excuses for the guy, going as far as saying Julien "decided he was tired". As far as saying Ducharme didn't know what the hell he was doing when he scratched him in the Stanley Cup Finals. As far as suggesting that if he hadn't gotten injured in 2019-2020, he would have been the guy who would have had Suzuki's chance, and that all what transpired since then is a matter of circumstances. As far as saying he only gets leftovers for linemates, when the kid played with guys like Toffoli and Anderson for huge chunks of the past season/playoffs.

Those ridiculous claims make it hard to actually come here level-headed without everyone thinking you're biased against the kid.

But so far? If things keep going to way they do? Yes, absolutely, passing over Tkachuk to draft Kotkaniemi was a huge mistake. To suggest the opposite at this point in time is just wearing pink-coloured glasses. He sensibly improved his skating and balance? Well, good for him. But that's not nearly enough.

We're talking about a 3rd overall pick. A guy we picked instead of Tkachuk, who's already one of the best power forwards in the game and soon-to-be captain in Ottawa. A guy who was an obvious NHL-talent with bloodlines, and who was ready for the show back when he was drafted. People have every right to expect a lot more than what they've been served so far. And listening to Bergevin in his press conference, we're obviously not the only ones.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
What is funny about the posts on this board since years now is the fact that many folks wanted Danault out and away to allow KK to be a top-six center. Now most of the posters are scared shit at the possibility of seing KK as the #2 centerman next season.

outside of the usual lineup of "bust brigade" posters, the majority of habs fans that see the immense talent and potential that JKO has aren't at all concerned about the "possibility of seeing JKO as the #2C next year"... it's moreso the concern that he will be, yet again, held to a unreasonably high standard and given the silly short leash we've seen that leads to line and usage yo-yoing at any sign of difficulty.

Give the guy relatively consistent minutes/linemates (ie set him up for success), and there's every reason to believe that we'll be rewarded with a solid development jump. That doesn't mean "elite #2c", nor should it be the bar a 21-year old player that is still physically maturing should be held to.

if we see him get something akin to the support Suzuki saw this season, that saw him navigate a 3-week slump with 1g/1a over a 9 game stretch (where he actually saw his ice time go up near the end of it, averaging over 18m/game through it), as opposed to getting relegated to the wing/revolving door of linemates and 12-14min/night ice time the way he was handled this season, then there's every reason to feel confident he'll have his best season yet.

HabsFan76

Nov 3, 2011
Canada
Oh believe me, I'll be more than happy to eat crow if it's ever served. Why would I be "scared shitless"? If the guy takes the next step, the Habs are better off. And, you know, I'm kind of a fan of that team.

You know what is unbearable around here? It's the ludicrous claims around here made by people who claim the guy had a progression curve worthy of a 3rd overall pick. It's people who come up with BAGS of excuses for the guy, going as far as saying Julien "decided he was tired". As far as saying Ducharme didn't know what the hell he was doing when he scratched him in the Stanley Cup Finals. As far as suggesting that if he hadn't gotten injured in 2019-2020, he would have been the guy who would have had Suzuki's chance, and that all that transpired since then is a matter of circumstances. As far as saying he only gets leftovers for linemates, when the kid played with guys like Toffoli and Anderson for huge chunks of the past season/playoffs.

Those ridiculous claims make it hard to actually come here level-headed without everyone thinking you're biased against the kid.

But so far? If things keep going to way they do? Yes, absolutely, passing over Tkachuk to draft Kotkaniemi was a huge mistake. To suggest the opposite at this point in time is just wearing pink-coloured glasses.

The point is that people who are optimistic about KK aren't the ones constantly whining about KK's lack of progression and saying that drafting him was a mistake and that he'll top out a 3rd line C. Why would they be concerned about KK potentially playing as a top 6 C next year when they've been wanting him to have that role for a long time?

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
What is funny about the posts on this board since years now is the fact that many folks wanted Danault out and away to allow KK to be a top-six center. Now most of the posters are scared shit at the possibility of seing KK as the #2 centerman next season.
To be fair the majority of posters that are "scared" hoped Danault will be back.

And it's not even entirely about KK, it's the entire center group as a whole that's concerning. Way too many question marks going into the season.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
I haven’t thrown the towel on KK, quite the opposite actually. But we need to tone down the expectations for another 2 full seasons.
The biggest problem with KK actually has a name:

Brady Tkachuk .
It will haunt us for the next 15 years.

Reactions: iamtalbot

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
The point is that people who are optimistic about KK aren't the ones constantly whining about KK's lack of progression and saying that drafting him was a mistake and that he'll top out a 3rd line C. Why would they be concerned about KK potentially playing as a top 6 C next year when they've been wanting him to have that role for a long time?

What you're saying makes little sense.
The people who were optimistic about Galchenyuk were not whining about his lack of progression neither. They were finding a bunch of excuses for him. And Kotkaniemi's progression curve is absolutely underwhelming for a 3rd overall pick. I don't think any sane person expects a lottery pick to "just improve his skating and his balance" in the first 3 years following his draft. I don't think anyone had such low expectations when he was drafted. If they had, well they set the bar pretty damn low.

As for playing on the top-6, mind you, we can also play Poehling as our 2nd line center. Doesn't make him any more of a good fit there. The sole decision to put Kotkaniemi on the 2nd line won't magically make him a better player. People who are concerned right now are concerned because they want the Habs to do well, and they're concerned because the guy we're about to put in a most critical spot hasn't proven he belongs there. At all.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
To be fair the majority of posters that are "scared" hoped Danault will be back.

And it's not even entirely about KK, it's the entire center group as a whole that's concerning. Way too many question marks going into the season.

I'm skeptical to the highest point about Kotkaniemi. And I still wouldn't have taken Danault back for 5.5M. This contract is pure madness.
Generally, I absolutely think it's time for Kotkaniemi to take on bigger responsibilities. But to do so with the next best center being Evans? That's a bit silly IMO. I've been advocating for a stop-gap, middle-6 C ala Wennberg or ala Bonino. Wennberg less so when I saw the term. Bozak is another name. I think people underestimate how much having a veteran C in the lineup is crucial. I think the potential value of a Bonino or a Bozak in a prospective Canadiens lineup is not as low as 2 / 5.5 of Danault's value. And I absolutely take Bozak and Hoffman on the lineup before I take Danault alone.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It might have looked bad at the time but KK has shown over his three years that his conditioning isn't good enough at the NHL level and he does get tired as the season drags on.

I doubt CJ did that because he doesn't like the kid.
I didn’t say he did it cause he didn’t like the kid.

every player tires over an NHL schedule, doesn’t matter the age.

it was just a convenient excuse to get Thompson in

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Poor KK, how will he ever succeed when every coach except the great Muller is out to get him?
You ok ?

I just stated facts, never suggested any coach was out to get him.

just because you have a vivid imagination, that doesn’t make it my reality.

There are pre-teens who post here that you can get away with posting these kinda replies…I ain’t the one though lol.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Check out what Boston has behind Bergeron…

Habs are young at center but their young players have played some big time hockey in big time moments the last 2 years.

They’ll be just fine.

HabsFan76

Nov 3, 2011
Canada
What you're saying makes little sense.
The people who were optimistic about Galchenyuk were not whining about his lack of progression neither. They were finding a bunch of excuses for him. And Kotkaniemi's progression curve is absolutely underwhelming for a 3rd overall pick. I don't think any sane person expects a lottery pick to "just improve his skating and his balance" in the first 3 years following his draft. I don't think anyone had such low expectations when he was drafted. If they had, well they set the bar pretty damn low.

As for playing on the top-6, mind you, we can also play Poehling as our 2nd line center. Doesn't make him any more of a good fit there. The sole decision to put Kotkaniemi on the 2nd line won't magically make him a better player. People who are concerned right now are concerned because they want the Habs to do well, and they're concerned because the guy we're about to put in a most critical spot hasn't proven he belongs there. At all.

What I'm saying makes complete sense. The difference is that KK has better vision, and hockey IQ than Poehling. I can see him improving next year if he's given top-6 duties next year. Name a player that has regressed when given more ice-time and responsibilities. Players like Suzuki and Pacioretty didn't become top forwards without getting top 6 ice time. The only concern to say is whether he can improve his conditioning enough to handle the additional ice-time over an 82 game schedule.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
What I'm saying makes complete sense. The difference is that KK has better vision, and hockey IQ than Poehling. I can see him improving next year if he's given top-6 duties next year. Name a player that has regressed when given more ice-time and responsibilities. Players like Suzuki and Pacioretty didn't become top forwards without getting top 6 ice time. The only concern to say is whether he can improve his conditioning enough to handle the additional ice-time over an 82 game schedule.

If it was that easy, anyone could become a good player. Anyone.
It's ridiculous how anyone would suggest the contrary.
This is not that old gameboy Pokemon game in which any pokemon who fights gains experience/levels we're talking about here pal. This is the NHL. The best league in the world.

HabsFan76

Nov 3, 2011
Canada
If it was that easy, anyone could become a good player. Anyone.
It's ridiculous how anyone would suggest the contrary.
This is not that old gameboy Pokemon game in which any pokemon who fights gains experience/levels we're talking about here pal. This is the NHL. The best league in the world.

So you think KK is done developing as a player? This is the best we'll ever see from him? Look, I think that KK can become a better player and he has a far better chance of reaching that potential playing top 6 minutes. Don't know why that's such a debatable opinion.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Check out what Boston has behind Bergeron…

Habs are young at center but their young players have played some big time hockey in big time moments the last 2 years.

They’ll be just fine.
It's funny you brought up Boston when they just signed Haula for the exact same reasons I'm talking about... And maybe they expected Krejci to be back also...

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I'll preface by saying I'm happy that the Habs gambled on a big skilled centerman with their pick. I think KK will be a great top-6 center with some jam in his game.

I find hilarious though that people criticize the pick by bringing up Brady. He's a fine player, don't get me wrong, but the obvious miss here was Hughes, not Tkachuk. Hughes is exactly what we lack on our blue-line and he produces more than BT as a defenseman. I wouldnt trade KK for Tkachuk, but I would trade him for Q. Hughes in a heartbeat.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Erik Haula...
I was being sarcastic lol…I know who Erik Haula is.

I’m down for a clear upgrade as a #2…but not retreads like Haula who will just serve to block Kotkaniemi’s progression even more.

HabsFan76

Nov 3, 2011
Canada
Really? We are scared that a player on our team goes out and produces? Give your head a shake.

I would LOVE if he did well next season.

That's the thing though. Maybe not you in particular, but some posters skeptical of KK don't think he'll produce if he's given the role of 2C next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad