Tribute Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Goodbye and Good Luck part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I wouldn't rule out Suzuki getting an OS from Dundon.

If KK shits the bed and Carolina falls of a cliff due to injuries while Dvorak looks great and Montreal gets a lottery pick as compensation Dundon will be the laughing stock of the league and he may lash out again. I am not saying this is likely but to entirely assume Dundon won't do it again may be a mistake.
Like to see 2nd part of your post come true

Reactions: 26Mats

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Uhm yes we are

Suzuki=Suzuki
Dvorak>Danault
Poehling/Evans=<KK
Poehling/Evans=Evans

We upgraded our 2C and might have downgraded our 3C. Weber was complete dog shit in the regular season. Hoffman helps the PP way more than Tatar. Most importantly, Habs don't get dicked with an absurd schedule. I'm not crazy optimistic about this team, but we got more talented up front for sure.

And the defense was shit too. It ain't gonna be better this season and we'll face better teams.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The kid is gone. I was, and still am, a huge supporter of his. I'm rooting for him and I hope he has success with the Canes.

Why are some trashing him like he was the worst thing that ever happened to the CH? He took the money and ran after he thought he was being treated unfairly. Was he justified in his reasoning? It doesn't matter, it was his perception and he dealt with it by signing an offer sheet and leaving.

I'll tell you one thing, if I thought I was being treated unfairly at work and someone offered me 2-3 times more than what my current job was offering, I'd run so fast you'd get pneumonia from the wind.

We all would

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And the defense was shit too. It ain't gonna be better this season and we'll face better teams.

This was our D the last time we were in the Atlantic...
Chiarot / Weber
Kulak / Petry
Ouellet / Mete

Folin

Atlantic will be tougher than the Canadian division and it won't be easy, that's for sure. However, I do believe we are better team with good momentum and team confidence. Only team that really improved since the last time we were in the Atlantic was the Panthers?

We are a bubble team yes. But it's a long season and I believe we have less holes in our roster than we did the last time we played in the Atlantic. If we play our system of sound team D with a good counter attack in transition as well as a better PP... we will be in the mix.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Chiarot / Weber
Kulak / Petry
Ouellet / Mete

Folin

Atlantic will be tougher than the Canadian division and it won't be easy, that's for sure. However, I do believe we are better team with good momentum and team confidence. Only team that really improved since the last time we were in the Atlantic was the Panthers?

We are a bubble team yes. But it's a long season and I believe we have less holes in our roster than we did the last time we played in the Atlantic. If we play our system of sound team D with a good counter attack in transition as well as a better PP... we will be in the mix.
Agreed....our D will be better than that D from two years ago.......I am a firm believer that our PP will perform well this year, with the addition of Dvorak, Hoffman, and of course Caufield....this will win us some games...
As always, injuries will be the key......if the habs stay healthy, will be in the mix...

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed....our D will be better than that D from two years ago.......I am a firm believer that our PP will perform well this year, with the addition of Dvorak, Hoffman, and of course Caufield....this will win us some games...
As always, injuries will be the key......if the habs stay healthy, will be in the mix...

I agree that our PP should be better. Dvorak as the 2nd center and with better shooters in our mix. I believe we will still have some zone entry problems but I also think that we will do better once we get control in the zone. Just going to be painful to watch and wait for them to get puck possession again :laugh:

Injures are a key and some more important than others. Suzuki, Dvorak, Petry.

If I was forced to make a prediction... I'm going to say Habs finish in the 12th spot. Could be the 20th spot but why be negative? :sarcasm:. The difference between 12-20 is miniscule differences in most seasons. Got to show up and battle

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Jeeze you have a hard time following. Your reply I quoted, quoted another post and it said : "We’ll see but if given even odds on who does better this season I wouldn’t put money on the Habs"

Maybe if you weren't out to show up everyone you reply to you wouldn't have truncated that original post. This is all of what he said.

Sure the Habs had a great run, I still don’t think they are contenders this season. I do think Carolina is though. We’ll see but if given even odds on who does better this season I wouldn’t put money on the Habs.

I was replying to his statement that Carolina would be a contender. Not whether they would finish ahead of the Habs. But I like how you were selective in your quote. Real impressive.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
NHL players producing in pre season doesnt means that much. They are facing AHL/borderline nhl player and few real NHL players. This is not surprising to see KK producing, neither Dvorak. Can’t wait to see KK facing real nhl guys this season to see his contribution lol

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
Chiarot / Weber
Kulak / Petry
Ouellet / Mete

Folin

This.

Also, there is another factor I saw some commentator somewhere mention. Pretty much everybody, including much of the Habs fan base, are calling the SCF run a fluke. Further, most observers think the loss of Danny, Weber and to a lesser extent KK are big losses to the team. There's no doubt the players are aware of this and are going to play with a chip on their shoulder all year. That chip got them to the SCF last year. I think it will get them to the POs this year,... then......?? I personally don't think the loss of Dano and Weber (and certainly KK) are negatives considering what they were replaced with in the regular season. Dano will be forgotten quickly. Weber was not good in the regular season, but will be missed if not back for the POs.

As you also point out, the only team in the division that is stronger now than two years ago are the Panthers and... well, they're the Panthers. This team is a better regular season team than last year's and the division opponents although strong, are mostly weaker than they were last year. People crapped on the North, but two of the best players in the league were in the North. This team will contend for the POs and I think the "chip" will help them get there (along with a lethal PP and better 5 on 5 offense).

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs Halifax

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Chiarot / Weber
Kulak / Petry
Ouellet / Mete
Folin

I think you are selling the Senators far too short. Their core of young (under 25) players (Stutzle, Pinto, Norris, Batherson, Brown, Tkachuk, Formenton, Chabot & Zub) are at least a match for ours. If they get some NHL level goaltending and these young players show any progression in their already promising development, they are as likely, if not more apt, to make the playoffs than us.

Also, they have 21 million dollars in cap space that gives them the financial flexibility to acquire expensive missing pieces at the trade deadline, sign major free agents in the off-season or offer sheet a targeted asset (Suzuki?).

Who's future is brighter?

These aren't your parents' Senators.

Reactions: cphabs

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
I think you are selling the Senators far too short. Their core of young (under 25) players (Stutzle, Pinto, Norris, Batherson, Brown, Tkachuk, Formenton, Chabot & Zub) are at least a match for ours. If they get some NHL level goaltending and these young players show any progression in their already promising development, they are as likely, if not more apt, to make the playoffs than us.

Also, they have 21 million dollars in cap space that gives them the financial flexibility to acquire expensive missing pieces at the trade deadline, sign major free agents in the off-season or offer sheet a targeted asset (Suzuki?).

Who's future is brighter?

These aren't your parents' Senators.

I will believe it when I see it. Their goaltending is extremely suspect and their roster is extremely young. That doesn't bode well over 82 games.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I will believe it when I see it. Their goaltending is extremely suspect and their roster is extremely young. That doesn't bode well over 82 games.
They have one important advantage over us: cap space. If Murray falters, they have the young assets and financial capability to acquire a front line goaltender. Their future is bright.

Nick Slafkofield

Nov 5, 2018
Nobody ever mentions the loss of Perry. He was a big part last year. Scorey Perry
True but Tatar was a ghost in the playoff so basically Hoffman replaces Tatar during the regular season and Perry in the playoffs, although I don't know if Hoffman usually performs in the big moments

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
They have one important advantage over us: cap space. If Murray falters, they have the young assets and financial capability to acquire a front line goaltender. Their future is bright.

Cap space means nothing when you have an owner that doesn't pony up.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
and most seem to forge that caufield was not with habs for most of season and we lost shitload of 3x3 ot using one goal danault....lol

Reactions: dralaf

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business

Having cap and willingness to use it are not necessarily the same thing. The question would be, is the owner willing to spend that cap? Sometimes the owner seems to do more harm than good and that Ottawa is a mess no matter how good they look on paper and some teams can't get past that type of situation.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I'm not sure I buy this. They have the theoretical cap space, but in the past when they had a core of Erik Karlsson and Mark Stone in their primes the owner was on national TV complaining about payroll. It's great that they have the cap space but I'll believe they have the financial might to bring in free agents or trade for expensive players to supplement their core when I see it.

That cap space also isn't going to last for too long once they sign Tkachuk and have to pay Norris next year (and Stutzle + Pinto the year after). Not that it's a bad thing to have lots of good young players, but it's not as if the Sens are in a position to just add 10-15M worth of long term deals as UFAs or through trade, even if ownership was willing to. In general I'm not really all that concerned about the Sens in the short or long term. Short term I don't think they're even an 80 point team this year, and in the long term their ceiling with their young core is probably something like the 16-17 Canadiens skaters without Price. A good team, but not some juggernaut to be looked upon with fear and awe.

They've bottomed out and they're on the way back up, with Tkachuk, Norris, Stutzle, Sanderson, and Pinto as the prime pieces to supplement Chabot who they already had. That's a very nice young core, but Stutzle is the only guy that has real superstar potential, and again I just have zero confidence they're going to spend to appropriately supplement them.

Reactions: smcgreg

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I'm not sure I buy this. They have the theoretical cap space, but in the past when they had a core of Erik Karlsson and Mark Stone in their primes the owner was on national TV complaining about payroll. It's great that they have the cap space but I'll believe they have the financial might to bring in free agents or trade for expensive players to supplement their core when I see it.

That cap space also isn't going to last for too long once they sign Tkachuk and have to pay Norris next year (and Stutzle + Pinto the year after). Not that it's a bad thing to have lots of good young players, but it's not as if the Sens are in a position to just add 10-15M worth of long term deals as UFAs or through trade, even if ownership was willing to. In general I'm not really all that concerned about the Sens in the short or long term. Short term I don't think they're even an 80 point team this year, and in the long term their ceiling with their young core is probably something like the 16-17 Canadiens skaters without Price. A good team, but not some juggernaut to be looked upon with fear and awe.

They've bottomed out and they're on the way back up, with Tkachuk, Norris, Stutzle, Sanderson, and Pinto as the prime pieces to supplement Chabot who they already had. That's a very nice young core, but Stutzle is the only guy that has real superstar potential, and again I just have zero confidence they're going to spend to appropriately supplement them.
What a delightful problem to have; a plethora of talented young players who you will have to spend to retain. What's a more attractive alternative? A dearth of young talent? In today's world, talent must be compensated. Or you can't compete.

Reactions: zeeto and amethyst

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This.

Also, there is another factor I saw some commentator somewhere mention. Pretty much everybody, including much of the Habs fan base, are calling the SCF run a fluke. Further, most observers think the loss of Danny, Weber and to a lesser extent KK are big losses to the team. There's no doubt the players are aware of this and are going to play with a chip on their shoulder all year. That chip got them to the SCF last year. I think it will get them to the POs this year,... then......?? I personally don't think the loss of Dano and Weber (and certainly KK) are negatives considering what they were replaced with in the regular season. Dano will be forgotten quickly. Weber was not good in the regular season, but will be missed if not back for the POs.

As you also point out, the only team in the division that is stronger now than two years ago are the Panthers and... well, they're the Panthers. This team is a better regular season team than last year's and the division opponents although strong, are mostly weaker than they were last year. People crapped on the North, but two of the best players in the league were in the North. This team will contend for the POs and I think the "chip" will help them get there (along with a lethal PP and better 5 on 5 offense).

Agreed. Atlantic will be tough and it's a full season but Habs should be in the mix. We have some flaws but nowhere near what we have the last time we played in the Atlantic. Games are played on the ice and every season is different

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
What a delightful problem to have; a plethora of talented young players who you will have to spend to retain. What's a more attractive alternative?
A more attractive alternative might be reading what I actually wrote and engaging with the position, instead of pretending I'm somehow arguing it's a bad thing the Senators have good young players so you can be snarky. To reiterate:

"Not that it's a bad thing to have lots of good young players, but it's not as if the Sens are in a position to just add 10-15M worth of long term deals as UFAs or through trade, even if ownership was willing to."

I was directly responding to you talking about their financial flexibility, and I brought up their coming RFAs that will be in for a big raise. I am arguing they don't really have the cap space to add significant big ticket UFAs or veterans with term through trade to supplement their core (presupposing their owner is even willing to spend to the cap, which is certainly not a guarantee), because they have upcoming cap commitments in the short and medium term that will make it difficult to commit to adding long term money.

Of course it's a good thing to have good young players, but I think it is incorrect to look at their young core and essentially pencil in big additions to supplement what they have and imagine them having all these guys plus a big ticket trade/UFA piece. It's pretty likely that this core is the core, maybe they trade a forward for a defenceman later on but that's less supplementing to their core and more about shifting value around the board. There just isn't much money coming off the board for them, it's mostly middle of the lineup UFAs making 1-3M that will be extended or replaced by new guys making similar money, they'll probably extend Brown, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad