Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- As featured in Episode 3 of Amazon's "FACEOFF: Inside the NHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 53 20.9%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 69 27.3%
  • Trade

Votes: 131 51.8%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
One could make the argument that we're beating a dead horse here.

So be it. Discuss, if you so choose. We'll keep all the Swayman talk contained to this thread.

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute to the conversation, move along.

We will not have this devolve into thread hijacking and flaming of other posters.

@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

Last edited:

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Igor should and will make more than Sway.

Oettinger might depend on how he bounces back this year. Might be smarter for both sides take a bridge deal. If he ends up making more than 8 after a season of mediocrity, that's on Dallas for rolling the dice.

Demko is an interesting one. He's coming off a Vezina contention year and has taken fair market deals before going into his 4th contract. But hes coming off a major injury and there's still no time table of when hes back.

Sways current offered contract will still leave him somewhere in the top 10 of highest paid goaltenders for awhile. It's a fair deal now and moving forward for the near future.
My point this whole time is I don't begrudge anyone for trying to get what they think they are worth and if they are convicted about it do them and get it. Personally I would sign 8/64, but the President really might have ruined an already tenuous relationship.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
the comp for 9/yr is only a 1-2-3 if the contract is 5 years or less. Offer sheets for longer than 5 years have the compensation based on the total value divided by 5 years, even if it's 7 or 8, so 9Mx8yrs has 4 1sts as the compensation
I think the Swayman camp would try to find a trade partner, not an offer sheet, if they can find another team willing to pay him what he wants and give up some assets to Boston in return. That's more likely than the offer sheet route, but still a long shot IMO.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
OK, announced in the middle of the office

I find it hard to believe you would be ok with what Neely did in that situation.
No. Never announced in the middle of the office either.

If I didn’t like it I shouldn’t be going on podcasts before hand.

If he Sway is this thin skinned he shouldn’t of started playing hard ball.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
My point this whole time is I don't begrudge anyone for trying to get what they think they are worth and if they are convicted about it do them and get it. Personally I would sign 8/64, but the President really might have ruined an already tenuous relationship.
Right? Neely messed up leaking contract information to a podcast and making it public.

Oh wait. That was Gross.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
OK, let's pay Swayman $9.5. That means a 21-player roster to get under the cap.

Are you good with that?

What if someone gets hurt? If two guys get hurt, then they play with 19 players.

Are you good with that?
But I didn’t say that. Someone asked me what my starting point would be. And that would be my starting point if I were his agent. Not my end point. Get it?

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
I want Swayman back in Boston signed to a long term deal, and I was feeling good about this getting done up to a few weeks ago. But, once regular season games are missed I think it would be difficult for the two sides to mend fences, and I think he will lose a lot of support from the fanbase that has been built up throughout his career in Boston.

I love confidence in a goalie, and Sway is certainly betting on himself now but if this is not resolved in the next few days it might be impossible to mend fences.

Not that I want to see it happen, but could he play in the KHL this season as an RFA? What kind of salary could he make there...would it be worth it?
If Swayman wanted to bet on himself, he could've accepted the 4 year deal and cashed in on his next contract as a UFA. Signing an 8 year deal as a RFA means you take a little less because it's guaranteed money. Teams offer 8 year deals for cost certainty and hope the contract ages well. If it doesn't, they're on the hook regardless. Both sides are taking on some risk.

IMO, either Swayman wants his cake and eat it too or he thinks his floor is $8.75-$9 million in spite of the small sample size he has so far. I don't think there would be many takers in league, but what do I know, it only takes one. it's unfortunate for him that Milbury, Bergevin and Dorion are no longer GMs.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Camp Sway poked the bear too many times. Too many jabs in the media for nearly a year now. If the Swayman side can't take heat, they shouldn't have fiddled with the thermostat.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I thought old comps like Rask weren't allowed? Are we changing the rules now? Rask got max at 7 mil per 10 years ago....comes out to 9.5 per max now with the same percent

See easy.

Ok

Rask had an even better playoff run than Swayman did last year, led them to the Cup finals. Maybe if Swayman gets them to the finals we could have the same conversation.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Camp Sway poked the bear too many times. Too many jabs in the media for nearly a year now. If the Swayman side can't take heat, they shouldn't have fiddled with the thermostat.
I'd say the same about Neely and Sweeney acting emotional and unprofessional at press conferences. And let's not pretend like the Bruins front office doesn't have a history of leaking things about coaches and players after they let them go.

Reactions: Sevendust and LSCII

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Rask had an even better playoff run than Swayman did last year, led them to the Cup finals. Maybe if Swayman gets them to the finals we could have the same conversation.
Rask had even better offensive support than Swayman did last year. The team scored 3.29 goals a game in the playoffs on that Cup run.

Last year they scored 1.74 goals per game.

Do you think getting 2x as many goals per game had something do with that Finals run?

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I don't think I've ever done as big of a 180 on a Bruin in my time as a fan.

I know we're all pointing fingers here and there with this and that but I'm just super disappointed Swayman isn't here with his teammates at camp with a near 8x8 deal out there.

It just seems so greedy and I feel like his image has changed dramatically, at least to me. These negotiations have unmasked him in a way.

It's not like the Stamkos or Marchessault situation where they were grossly lowballed and borderline pushed out.

I've just always loved cheering for the Bruins players who have poured their hearts out there, put the team first, always focused on wining.

We've always thought Swayman fit this mold. He's been a gamer since day 1 but his image has taken a massive hit and the longer this plays out, the less hope I have we can get the old him back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad