GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Whoever #82 is on defense, consider yourself cut after this game :laugh:

They cut away to the penalty box when Bemstrom turned the puck over, but whoever that #82 is played some horrendous defense on that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
nah bemstrom had Koivunen wide open and waiting 30 seconds until he was covered to give him the puck

I don't even really blame Bemstrom there, even though he did turn the puck over and cause the transition against.

That was Kral playing some laughably bad defense, he just let the Jackets players do a give-and-go 1-timer because he was spinning around rather than taking up any passing lanes.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is the first pre-season game I've seen where Hayes just looks legitimately bad out here. Maybe he's not trying but the dude just looks bad.

Always just swiping at pucks while seemingly being a step behind the play.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Puljujarvi looks great again, really like how confident he looks with the puck out there. I like what I've seen from that McGroarty-Puljujarvi wing duo.
Yeah they’ve been good..I like that McG is shooting I just don’t think he’s a very good shot lol…but Sullivan probably loves that

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I haven't noticed Puustinen a single time tonight, which probably doesn't talk well for how he's playing.

I've seen his line a good bit, I think I've seen a good bit of Koivunen and Broz, but Puustinen is an absolute ghost out here.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Tomorrow's roster

No Rust. I think McGroarty is making the team to start. He's getting one last look again.

Seems like the lines will be this to start:

O'Connor-Crosby-Beauvillier
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
McGroarty-Hayes-Puljujarvi
Glass-Eller-Acciari
Puustinen

They're also using Brunicke like they're expecting him to get a 9 game stint, I think it's a no brainer with Karlsson out.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Puustinen doesn't even look like he's trying out there. He's just standing watching the puck go to his side of the ice and not even showing an attempt to battle for the loose puck. Their line was hemmed in the zone for over a minute but he's not showing any sort of pulse to help out defensively.

I think Koivunen looked rough defensively in that sequence too, but the difference is that Koivunen is 20 and is expected to need a year in WBS. Puustinen is supposed to be standing out with this level of team around him, but he's completely invisible.

Terrific chance generated once again by the McGroarty-Hayes-Puljujarvi line. Puljujarvi put one on net and McGroarty won the race for the rebound, nice stop by Merzlikins to prevent it from going in. Hayes is playing like he doesn't care but the wingers look really, really good.

Poulin also had a nice chance there after getting behind the Jackets defenseman. Nice to see him being engaged in the play.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I have no idea why Hayes, Beau or Glass are making it..haven’t seen a lot from any of them except that one game from Hayes
If MCG isnt with Sid, and I suspect he won't be, at least put him with Eller who has pretty good offensive acumen for a NO 3 Center

3rd line MCG-Eller-PUJU

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
What purpose does that serve them? They end up with a player sitting at home wasting away and still get even less crap for him.

Let's not forget McGroarty wasn't even the Pegs #1 prospect, but Yager was clearly the Pens. The Peg could afford to wait if they wanted to, but Yager brings a better much more desirable center attribute timeline for them. (the Pens as well) McGroarty is obviously seen as a winger both there and here. So that ups the value a good bit in Yager's favor. So being close in NHL production isn't the same. Center>>>wing every single day. Center's are hard to come by and they just gave up a good potential one.

McGroarty would have to be at Jake levels to wash away Yager's center attribute. A mere 20G/20A - 40/50 point winger isn't going to cut it if Yager is remotely the same to better at center. For one, you can move forward with Yager as one of the top 2 center positions, McGroarty would need such a center in a few years they likely won't have with all of them aging out. Which brings that position all the more important moving forward. Openings both at 2C/3C. 1C a mere year after that.

McGroarty would seriously have to fast track to be anything remotely useful in Sid/Geno's final years together. Right now, that's 2 seasons.

Right now people are already slotting him as Sid's LW this year. That's just not how it works normally.
Normally. Not every situation is normal though.
For one, it’s not like the Pens are loaded with great options for that spot.
Secondly, the biggest thing you need to succeed with Sid is hockey IQ, and THAT IS McGroarty’s strength.
Look at the 2 LWs who played the best along side Sid- Kunitz and Jake. Neither were really big, nor was either blazing on skates. What they could do however was think the game on a similar level to Sid.
McGroarty can be Kunitz lite right now, and grow into a better version of Kunitz within a year or two…… but you have to start now!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad